Dog chip

Old Mar 2nd 2021, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog chip

I recently adopted a dog and I am putting her chip into my name and address here in the UK. When I move to Portugal - fingers crossed it's soon - how easy/costly is it to change the details on the chip to my new home. In Portugal, soon, I hope.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Re: Dog chip

Your dog will need to be registered on the SIAC database. Any vet can do this and the chip number will be transposed to your Portuguese address. They send you a certificate via email a few days later. Cost 3 years ago was about €15 including vet’s fee.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Your dog will need to be registered on the SIAC database. Any vet can do this and the chip number will be transposed to your Portuguese address. They send you a certificate via email a few days later. Cost 3 years ago was about €15 including vet’s fee.
Thanks, Probably a bit more than that now, but not too bad. Do you know that sits with the Petlog registration that I'm going to do?
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

The actual registration fee is €2.50 plus whatever the vets fee is. If your dog is scanned in Portugal your Portuguese contacts will show up not your U.K. ones. Sorry don’t know what a Pet Log is. Is that a post Brexit thing? Our vet has advised that he can change the old U.K. pet passport to a Portuguese EU passport for €15 but the timing has to coincide with the date for rabies injection. If your dog has recently had a rabies injection you may need to wait until that’s due again.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The actual registration fee is €2.50 plus whatever the vets fee is. If your dog is scanned in Portugal your Portuguese contacts will show up not your U.K. ones. Sorry don’t know what a Pet Log is. Is that a post Brexit thing? Our vet has advised that he can change the old U.K. pet passport to a Portuguese EU passport for €15 but the timing has to coincide with the date for rabies injection. If your dog has recently had a rabies injection you may need to wait until that’s due again.
Pet log is just where you register your dog when microchipped. She's not had a rabies jab yet, I'm not sure what is required to travel abroad with her at the moment. She doesn't have a Pet Passport.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK I see. So shouldn’t affect anything as effectively the SIAC registration will be the Portuguese pet log. I’m not up to date on bringing animals over this year but presumably you’ll have more hoops to jump through now. Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK I see. So shouldn’t affect anything as effectively the SIAC registration will be the Portuguese pet log. I’m not up to date on bringing animals over this year but presumably you’ll have more hoops to jump through now. Good luck.
Thanks. The vet is phoning me later to let me know. I called a couple of weeks ago and nobody seemed to know!
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muito caro. Rabies jab, £35 one month later blood test, £100. £70 - £100 for a health certificate. Plus we're having her neutered in a couple of months. I'm sending her back.

How could I? Beady, black eyes staring at me. She follows me wherever I go. There must be a Nursery Rhyme in that somewhere...
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

No no. Don’t send her back..... vets fees in Portugal are much less than in the U.K. It’s only a one off cost then you’ve got a friend for ever.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

No no. Don’t send her back..... vets fees in Portugal are much less than in the U.K. It’s only a one off cost then you’ve got a friend for ever.
No, I couldn't, we are her third home and she's going nowhere, well to Portugal, but nowhere without us.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I second that - vet fees much, much cheaper here,
Please look up Processional pine caterpillars so you are aware of them if you don't know them - A pain but not the end of the world
Also, you'll need protection against Leishmaniasis when you get here (well, the dog will)
Sorry if teaching Grandma to suck eggs
Best wishes
Leigh
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midgo
Hi,
I second that - vet fees much, much cheaper here,
Please look up Processional pine caterpillars so you are aware of them if you don't know them - A pain but not the end of the world
Also, you'll need protection against Leishmaniasis when you get here (well, the dog will)
Sorry if teaching Grandma to suck eggs
Best wishes
Leigh
I didn't know about the caterpillars, do they make the dog ill? We lived in Spain and protected the dog against Leishmaniasis there. I'll probably get that done when she has her health check and we know we're on our way. Always best to know about these things than not, thanks for telling me.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Bons - as seen on the other thread "Buying a House etc" -
https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
and this - https://www.myfamilyvets.co.uk/pet-travel-after-brexit
and another official site - Brexit

Do make sure to have your new dog vaccinated against the Leishmania - it is your best chance of keeping your dog safe from this potentially nasty disease (both ours - rescues from Spain - are infected and living good lives but it can and does kill many). The Canileash vaccine is manufactured by Virbac. As said on the other thread it should only be given to dogs who have not been in contact with the mosquito-like fly that spreads it, and so far that does not exist in the UK so yours should be OK. It is not cheap I am afraid but better than the expensive drastic treatment if she should be infected! This all sounds a bit drastic, but better you know before you come out so you are prepared and the dog is safer.
https://www.vet4life.co.uk/leishmaniasis/
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Bons - as seen on the other thread "Buying a House etc" -
https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
and this - https://www.myfamilyvets.co.uk/pet-travel-after-brexit
and another official site - Brexit

Do make sure to have your new dog vaccinated against the Leishmania - it is your best chance of keeping your dog safe from this potentially nasty disease (both ours - rescues from Spain - are infected and living good lives but it can and does kill many). The Canileash vaccine is manufactured by Virbac. As said on the other thread it should only be given to dogs who have not been in contact with the mosquito-like fly that spreads it, and so far that does not exist in the UK so yours should be OK. It is not cheap I am afraid but better than the expensive drastic treatment if she should be infected! This all sounds a bit drastic, but better you know before you come out so you are prepared and the dog is safer.
https://www.vet4life.co.uk/leishmaniasis/
Thanks for that, I'm looking at them all.
Old Mar 4th 2021, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

By the way - processionary caterpillars are on the move at the moment ... the moth leaves eggs in a big web on pine trees (especially the umbrella pines but some others as well) which looks like a rounded spiders web. The furry caterpillars move out of there in early spring go down the tree, one after the other, nose to tail, and trot across the countryside to feed, then go back to the nest, emerging again, etc. Dogs find this wriggling "snake" fascinating and put their noses in there , sniff, and open mouth - the bug's self defence is to shoot out the little hairs in the "attacker" and this can cause nasty allergy on the skin, but more worrying is when it gets onto the tongue, and can cause necrosis (dead patches) on the tongue and throat - can kill !!!! The trotting about the countryside does not last long happily and most people with pine trees do look out for the nest and treat them (best way is to chop out the nest and burn it ...)

Last edited by Rambling archer; Mar 4th 2021 at 9:58 am. Reason: typing error!