Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Doctors script not needed.

Doctors script not needed.

Old May 2nd 2016, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Doctors script not needed.

We no longer need a doctors prescription for chronic medication. Your medication will be entered into a central data base that all pharmacies can access.
All you need to do is to give them your utente number.
I don't yet know what this utente number is or where to get it.
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors script not needed.

It's the Social Security number linked to the NHS service but your system doesn't seem to be quite the same as my area.......... here, I ask my GP for scripts & I get an SMS message on my phone which I then show at my pharmacy & collect my meds as usual.

And it seems to work a treat!
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

OnecalledBob is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are registered under the Portuguese NHS, you should have been given a Cartao de Utente (generally an A4 sheet) on registering at the Centro de Saude. This service isn't yet available in all areas of the country.
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mfesharne
It's the Social Security number linked to the NHS service but your system doesn't seem to be quite the same as my area.......... here, I ask my GP for scripts & I get an SMS message on my phone which I then show at my pharmacy & collect my meds as usual.

And it seems to work a treat!
How could they print that out as they need paper proof of the script?
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
How could they print that out as they need paper proof of the script?
They don't need paper proof now because it's on their computer & my SMS gives them the reference number to plumb into the system.
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnecalledBob
If you are registered under the Portuguese NHS, you should have been given a Cartao de Utente (generally an A4 sheet) on registering at the Centro de Saude. This service isn't yet available in all areas of the country.

Thats if you don't lose the will to live queueing at the Centro de Saude to register first. lol
Our first attempt ended in defeat when the receptionist failed to turn up. The second attempt we were met with a room full of people waiting (20+) After almost an hour when only one person was seen, we realised we would be too old to register by the time our turn came so we went home and had a cup of tea.

When we feel we have the strength we may return and try again.
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We got ours; now all meds are 1/2 price [more or less].
Not needing a script each time will help a lot; I hope this will work with private doctors as well.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Ten minutes to acquire mine in Fundao.