Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Do I need healthcare insurance

Do I need healthcare insurance

Old Jun 16th 2021, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need healthcare insurance

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Well at least something is moving along (even if you are left limping with the recovering limb) - that will be the official document from ISS to say that they are in communication with the source country of your S1 (UK) - International - and that between them they are in the stage where your S1 is approved and they will accept the UK funding arrangement (Instrumento) for your health care in Portugal - Granted. Sounds like success! I would suggest you wait a couple of days to see if you get an email from ISS about it and if not make an appointment to see that nice lady again and take your papers and the letter with you so she can explain what action (if any) you should take now. You are also within your rights to phone the Pensions Service in UK to ask about it for an easier to understand explanation, and in the fullness of time you will be able to get your EHIC from NHS Business.

As to the bill from the hospital - is it not covered under the SNS rather than private?

Hope the leg is improving by now.
Thanks RA. I have no idea which body is covering the hospital cost but I was told by a friend to expect some sort of discounted bill.
as for the leg, the staples and dressings have all been removed and I’m required to just sit with the leg elevated for yet another month. Thankfully I’ve been introduced to Uber so I’ve been able to get out to the supermarket when needed and then last night I had an enjoyable dinner with my rescuers to celebrate my son becoming a father yesterday and presenting me with my third granddaughter. Very sore head this morning on my 4am wake up 😩
Old Jun 16th 2021, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
An update on this thread. I have received something in the post today which seems to be entitled Intrumentos Internacionais and was sent by the ISS. It seems to say I’ve had something granted. I’m not entirely sure what to do with it except to keep it in a safe place. I was expecting an invoice of some sort for my recent hospital stay but so far have received nothing. Now on month two of the torturous wait for my leg to heal.
My letter from the ISS entitled Internacionais had my Portuguese social security number (11 digits) on the second page. Have they allocated you an SS number?
Old Jun 16th 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
My letter from the ISS entitled Internacionais had my Portuguese social security number (11 digits) on the second page. Have they allocated you an SS number?
Thanks BB. There is indeed an 11 digit number on the upper left corner of the second page. Is there a further process as suggested by RA, such as going back to SS and seeing the nice lady?
Old Jun 16th 2021, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BB. There is indeed an 11 digit number on the upper left corner of the second page. Is there a further process as suggested by RA, such as going back to SS and seeing the nice lady?
I didn't go back and see the nice lady. I immediately applied online for our new EHIC cards, appropriate for S1 pensioners. I got a rejection email initially as I had acted too soon but eventually you will receive your EHIC card without needing to reapply for it. It seems to take up to 2 months more for the UK authorities to receive and register the Portuguese SS action. You must then let your Centro de Saude know by showing them your S1 and the SS letter so that the health system can then bill the UK for your treatment.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks RA. I have no idea which body is covering the hospital cost but I was told by a friend to expect some sort of discounted bill.
as for the leg, the staples and dressings have all been removed and I’m required to just sit with the leg elevated for yet another month. Thankfully I’ve been introduced to Uber so I’ve been able to get out to the supermarket when needed and then last night I had an enjoyable dinner with my rescuers to celebrate my son becoming a father yesterday and presenting me with my third granddaughter. Very sore head this morning on my 4am wake up 😩
Way to go ! Great to have something to celebrate, and new friends to do it with!
Cheers!