Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Dilemma - where to live in Lisboa area

Dilemma - where to live in Lisboa area

Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Charles in Portugal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dilemma - where to live in Lisboa area

We presently live in Algarve but want to relocate to the Lisbon area. I have previously spent parts of a year in Costa de Caparica and know there, Almada etc and the city centre. I know little of other districts.

I work overseas and so commuting is not an issue. Some proximity to an English speaking secondary school is necessary (west of Lisbon?) and we require a modern apartment or moradia. Villa? In Lisbon, dream on.

We spent 3 days in Estoril and did not even start to get a grip of where to live. (Nice place by the way...). The ones we did see were nice apartments/moradias but in WRONG locations. We are a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural family and have no issues in any decent quality community.

Does such a district exist or am I whistling for Santa up a chimney?

Oh schools.... any suggestions?

Thanks everyone, Charles
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:01 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dilemma - where to live in Lisboa area

Originally Posted by Charles in Portugal
We presently live in Algarve but want to relocate to the Lisbon area. I have previously spent parts of a year in Costa de Caparica and know there, Almada etc and the city centre. I know little of other districts.

I work overseas and so commuting is not an issue. Some proximity to an English speaking secondary school is necessary (west of Lisbon?) and we require a modern apartment or moradia. Villa? In Lisbon, dream on.

We spent 3 days in Estoril and did not even start to get a grip of where to live. (Nice place by the way...). The ones we did see were nice apartments/moradias but in WRONG locations. We are a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural family and have no issues in any decent quality community.

Does such a district exist or am I whistling for Santa up a chimney?

Oh schools.... any suggestions?

Thanks everyone, Charles
Check out Cascais for modern appartments, my OH was living there for 3 years and loved it. No kids so can't help on schools.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Alqui_Ana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dilemma - where to live in Lisboa area

Hi there!

I'm portuguese, from Lisbon, and have always lived there.

I would like to help you but firstly, I would like to know what you mean by "English speaking secondary school"?

Are your considering putting your kids in an international school (in Lisbon, most, or even all of them, are private schools I think...)? If not, are your kids going to study in a normal portuguese secondary school (do they speak portuguese?)?

Based on your answers, I can suggest you some nice areas to live in Lisbon.

Regards,

Ana