Dehumidifiers

Old Jan 26th 2022, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dehumidifiers

Originally Posted by seekingsun
We have 2 x the meaco eco dehumidifiers in the uk and they are expensive to buy but a lot cheaper to run than some of the other dehumidifiers. We are in the west of england and have a part single skin property so mould and damp is always a problem here. They are good at keeping humidity down and drying clothes efficiently!

It does concern me all this talk about damp in portugal as it is my bugbear of our current uk property and I know what a nuisance it is to keep on top of!

I thought the Algarve was generally free of damp problems but it sounds like that might not be the case. Is the east drier than the west as in the uk? Or would I be better buying in spain if damp is a deal breaker? And how do those with holiday homes get on if their property is empty over the winter? Does the place completely get taken over by mould when empty? I recently heard someone say they need to lift their mattress every day in the winter or it would get sodden! Doesn't sound a healthy environment to live in.
If you are close to the ocean, you'll get more humidity. Since temperatures don't drop so low at night in Portugal, that humidity can hang around in the air (over Christmas the dew point was around 16C!). Also, since many Portuguese houses are badly/not insulated it can be much the same temperature inside as outside, so the relative humidity remains high.

In the UK, it gets cold outside, the air can hold less moisture so it condenses out, then when it comes into your well insulated house and you heat it up, the relative humidity is much lower. Most humidity problems in the UK come from moisture generated inside the house.

I guess some places in Spain have less rainfall, but I'd have thought you'd have similar problems close to the sea. Inland and up in the mountains I'd guess much less so. But haven't spent much time in Spain, so just guessing

If you have a modern/renovated place with insulation and you heat & ventilate it then it shouldn't be a problem. Currently, with things stabilised and the air outside a bit drier, our humidifier is only turning on periodically and only producing a litre of water every 4 or 5 days, the relative humidity around the house is always in the 45-55% range (we have the dehumidifier set for 50%)
Old Jan 26th 2022, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Humidity is mainly a problem in the Algarve in poorly built houses of which there are many. We have lived in the Eastern Algarve, 2 km from the coast, for 18 years and humidity is only high in the rainy season. Currently we are experiencing a dry winter and outside humidity ranges between 40 and 55%. Inside the house it is generally less than 55% but, come the summer, it will be a lot less and the outside humidity will be positively dry, sometimes as low as 25%. Our 25 year old house was built with a ventilated cavity and was always dry. Last January the cavity was injected with insulating foam and, so far, dampness is still not a problem. Our dehumidifier is only used for the odd occasion when we are drying the laundry inside having misjudged the arrival of rain.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

seekingsun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Alan and Bill that sounds reassuring. We are looking at probably the Eastern Algarve a few/several kms from the coast.

I would much rather Portugal than Spain because we don't know if our 6months a year plan will turn into wanting to move over full time when we retire! The tax situation is obviously better in Portugal vs Spain if we do become resident and the culture is a better fit for us I think.