Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

dehumidifier - recommendations

dehumidifier - recommendations

Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road
Default dehumidifier - recommendations

I am looking at what Worten have and they range from €170 - €350.
It is not always true that the more you pay the more you get. Has anyone bought a dehumidifier that they would recommend or not recommend.
Worten have Rowenta (€369) or Fagon (€169) or Becken €169.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Re: dehumidifier - recommendations

I have the Becken one and it works fine...haven't got any others to compare it to though? I went for largest capacity for cheapest price I think. Bit big & bulky but does the job.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fergus
It is not always true that the more you pay the more you get. Has anyone bought a dehumidifier that they would recommend or not recommend.

aint it Fagor?! We have a Fagor 16 litre (think the reference is to 16 litres per day) and if ts on for say 4 hours it takes about 3 litres of water out of our bedroom.

We also had a loan of a 10 litre one....and it was hardly worth the electricty it burnt(I think it was rowenta 10)
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

We have a Confortec 10 litre (€99 from MediaMarkt). It does well with humidity over 70% but below that it's hardly worth using.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just occured to me that the air conditioning might act as a dehumidifier even in the winter. I know that air con in the car is great for clearing the windscreen.
Anyone out there know the answer?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Our Daikin air-con system has a drying cycle but it really only works at above around 15 degrees C. It's designed to attempt to dry the air without reducing the room temperature significantly. The cooling mode will work to lower temperatures and will dry the air at the same time but I suspect most people feel cold enough already in the winter! I suspect Daikin designed for the monsoon season in the Far East. In an occupied property the dehumidifier has the accidental benefit that virtually all of the energy consumed (and paid for) is retained within the house. The air-con units will tend to pump energy out of the house.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I just occured to me that the air conditioning might act as a dehumidifier even in the winter. I know that air con in the car is great for clearing the windscreen.
Anyone out there know the answer?
Certainly with ours on the normal heating mode it does not seem to reduce the humidity level. Like richardhensall... our Daikin invertor units have a dehumifier mode... which I have never tried

As also refered to by richardhensall.... if the room is too cold dehumidifiers are far less affective! (apparently shoud be no less than 16ºc)
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Our north facing small bedroom is always freezing and if I left our Becken one on all day I'd have to empty it, I think it's 16L so works fine in the cold.

G
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

connal is an unknown quantity at this point

I have bought five of the Radio Popular in-house brand Electronia dehumidifiers for our own house and clients over the last six years and all are still working. They cost around €120 at the moment and while they are not very sophisticated they are very good at sucking water out of the air. You need one for each room though..
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:18 am
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: dehumidifier - recommendations

I can personally recommend the Fagor brand from Radio Popular, they are relatively cheap and reliable, and do the job well
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

morgan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we have sharp air cons they work great on dehumidifier had them three years
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have sharp as well, and from Jason too. How do you set them to dehumidify?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

morgan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have sharp as well, and from Jason too. How do you set them to dehumidify?
Fergus which models do you have as the new ones do a lot more now they have a ion mode on which does this when it's on heating ours are a few years old now but they great very quiet for sleeping better than them cheap models as I friends had cheap ones had many problems
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:51 am
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of dehumidifiers have a heating element for colder days. Invest in a humidity meter then you can keep a check on the levels. Ideally it should be around 55-60%. Dampness and mould can cause serious health problems.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Morgan, thanks for your advice. I have looked at the handhbook and there are dry and ionise settings. They should do the job. Thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.