D7 Visa Portugal

Old Feb 1st 2022, 11:58 am
Just Joined

leehorton1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D7 Visa Portugal

Hi All, newbie here
My wife, daughter and I are considering a move from the UK to Portugal later 2022.
Having researched the options it looks like the D7 Visa could be the best for us.
We have a small 'Passive Income' from one BTL property and will also be renting out our current home too once we have left, will they accept the rental income from our current residential property towards the minimum income requirements as it won't be rented out until we have obviously moved over? We would be able to provide a signed rental agreement.
Also I will continue to work remotely for my UK employer but again I'm unsure if this income can be taken into account as it isn't 'passive'.
Any clarification would be much appreciated
Old Feb 1st 2022, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D7 Visa Portugal

Hi, welcome to the forum!

You might not get a very specific answer on D7 experiences as probably the majority of people here moved pre-Brexit. But there have been quite a few discussion threads around D7, so do have a search (go to the Advanced Search page https://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php and select just the Portugal forum for best searching)

Do also read some of the threads on working remotely for a UK employer and the tax and NI implications, unless you (and your employer) already did some research to validate this
Old Feb 1st 2022, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

PJC61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leehorton1
Hi All, newbie here
My wife, daughter and I are considering a move from the UK to Portugal later 2022.
Having researched the options it looks like the D7 Visa could be the best for us.
We have a small 'Passive Income' from one BTL property and will also be renting out our current home too once we have left, will they accept the rental income from our current residential property towards the minimum income requirements as it won't be rented out until we have obviously moved over? We would be able to provide a signed rental agreement.
Also I will continue to work remotely for my UK employer but again I'm unsure if this income can be taken into account as it isn't 'passive'.
Any clarification would be much appreciated
We moved to the Algarve last summer after Brexit and used the D7 visa option, finally obtaining residency in October. We have rented our house out in the UK and like yourself wouldn't start receiving income until after we had left for Portugal. However, our rental agreement was accepted by the Portuguese consulate. We have taken early retirement and supplement our rent income from savings rather than from employment.

The whole process went very smoothly, the only ball ache was having to have somewhere to live in Portugal already in place when you first make your application for the D7, a rent agreement, proof of house purchase or a covering letter from friends or relatives saying you are living with them. This was made doubly difficult in our case because we made the move during covid, not the brightest decision I've ever made!

Good luck!
Old Feb 1st 2022, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You might not get a very specific answer on D7 experiences as probably the majority of people here moved pre-Brexit. But there have been quite a few discussion threads around D7, so do have a search (go to the Advanced Search page and select just the Portugal forum for best searching)

Do also read some of the threads on working remotely for a UK employer and the tax and NI implications, unless you (and your employer) already did some research to validate this

Great thanks for the advice

Old Feb 1st 2022, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PJC61
We moved to the Algarve last summer after Brexit and used the D7 visa option, finally obtaining residency in October. We have rented our house out in the UK and like yourself wouldn't start receiving income until after we had left for Portugal. However, our rental agreement was accepted by the Portuguese consulate. We have taken early retirement and supplement our rent income from savings rather than from employment.

The whole process went very smoothly, the only ball ache was having to have somewhere to live in Portugal already in place when you first make your application for the D7, a rent agreement, proof of house purchase or a covering letter from friends or relatives saying you are living with them. This was made doubly difficult in our case because we made the move during covid, not the brightest decision I've ever made!

Good luck!

That's really good to know
The rental on our BTL and residential property will more than cover the required income.
On top of this I have my employed income where I am still unsure if they would accept or not
Yes I can understand that agreeing a place to rent be quite difficult especially when you don't really want to confirm/pay for the rental until you know the Visa has been agreed. Catch 22 I suppose but one of those things that has to be done.

Thanks for the reply, really helpful
Old Feb 4th 2022, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Lee

As I understand it the 'D7' visa is suitable for 'digital nomads' so your remote earning from your UK employer should (as I understand it) be taken into consideration, as for the 'covering letter from friends or relatives' they also have to sign a form (exact name escapes me now, but something like 'termo de responsiabiliadade' ) not entirely sure what the implication of this are for your hosts but ours wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, dont blame them as I dont think I would either, so buying or renting it is my friend.