Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Cricket - Eastern Algarve

Cricket - Eastern Algarve

Old May 30th 2007, 11:48 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cricket - Eastern Algarve

Hi my friends across the bridge.

This post was on the Spanish board as we're trying to put together a cricket day at the end of June. It will based around the Ayamonte general area so if you're in Tavira, Vila Real, Olhao etc......... and you fancy a bit of a laugh get in touch.

The original thread: (or go to link: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454292 )

We're trying to get a cricket team going for sometime this summer in the Ayamonte/Huelva/East Algarve region.

No prior experience essential as the idea is mainly on having a fun 20-20 evening game with beers & BBQ etc.....

We have several players already and are thinking about an end of June date.

If all goes well, we'll want to make it a regular thing throughout the year, possibly involving other regions nearby - Central/Western Algarve, Cadiz, Costa del Sol etc......

Let me know if you're interested

PS: Particularly interested in getting other nations involved not normally associated with the game ie Spanish, Portuguese, German etc
Old May 30th 2007, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Cricket - Eastern Algarve

I especially liked your last line I would pay to watch some non-cricketing nationals play it. Maybe video it and put it up on youtube for the rest of us?
Old May 30th 2007, 4:15 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I especially liked your last line I would pay to watch some non-cricketing nationals play it. Maybe video it and put it up on youtube for the rest of us?

Oh...Come on!!!! I know some very competitive guys who'd love to win in whatever game they played, regardless if they knew how or not.

Therefore, point missed.
Old May 30th 2007, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Oh...Come on!!!! I know some very competitive guys who'd love to win in whatever game they played, regardless if they knew how or not.

Therefore, point missed.
I have lived in 2 cricketing countries and gone to school with DOZENS of Portuguese fellas and only knew of 1 who actually enjoyed it - my brother's best friend.

So I do know what I am talking about here.

P.S. Go out and look for your sense of humor - you seem to have misplaced it somewhere.
Old May 30th 2007, 4:28 pm

I have lived in 2 cricketing countries and gone to school with DOZENS of Portuguese fellas and only knew of 1 who actually enjoyed it - my brother's best friend.

So I do know what I am talking about here.

P.S. Go out and look for your sense of humor - you seem to have misplaced it somewhere.
Hmmm... I sense passive-aggressive. Could be wrong of course because I get things wrong all the time. Still doesn't change the fact that your answer to mine really is irrelevant to what I was saying - or simply misunderstood. We currently have three (yes 3) Portuguese "fellas" signed up and would like some more. But if you say that one is all we can get ..... well, we're in trouble

PS If I went out looking for sense of humour, how would I ever get to talk to you again, Guapo?

Last edited by Fortaleza; May 30th 2007 at 4:30 pm. Reason: Post Script
Old May 30th 2007, 6:15 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

if you ever sort out getting a side together to come over from the western algarve, me and my eldest would like to join in, also have you considered a multi sports day, cricket, footy, etc, might be fun, anyway keep us informed if things take off, cheers
Old May 30th 2007, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gazz
if you ever sort out getting a side together to come over from the western algarve, me and my eldest would like to join in, also have you considered a multi sports day, cricket, footy, etc, might be fun, anyway keep us informed if things take off, cheers

Well, yes we have as it goes - over the last couple of years!!!!

You know how it goes, you get interest straight away then it tails off. Still, a properly organised "Olympic Weekend" could be fun. You know, footie, cricket, egg and spoon!!!!! Could be interesting. Lets keep in touch. Where in the West are you?
Old May 31st 2007, 8:55 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Well, yes we have as it goes - over the last couple of years!!!!

You know how it goes, you get interest straight away then it tails off. Still, a properly organised "Olympic Weekend" could be fun. You know, footie, cricket, egg and spoon!!!!! Could be interesting. Lets keep in touch. Where in the West are you?
i,m in ferrel, just outside lagos, keep us posted.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks, non resident unfortunately but always up for a laugh, so if you are short of numbers send the email and I'll see if I or any of my family are in town. Any chance of a including rugby for the old and infirm? OB
Old May 31st 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Hi Folks, non resident unfortunately but always up for a laugh, so if you are short of numbers send the email and I'll see if I or any of my family are in town. Any chance of a including rugby for the old and infirm? OB
Rugby is our next project
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

And did you see Portugal do well against England last weekend in the 7's at Twickenham........................... Maybe my job can be to coach the local team! OB
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

I might just come and watch if I'm around when you have a game or two.

Wish they would start a rugby team. Nothing quite like it, IMO
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:32 am

I might just come and watch if I'm around when you have a game or two.

Wish they would start a rugby team. Nothing quite like it, IMO
Right then, my esteemed Luso friends.
Date of event is Saturday 23rd Jun with a start time of 5pm, looks like there's three teams (but could be just two as you know what people are like) so a round robin even, we have a whole pig on a spit (mmmmmm!!!!!) full bar etc.....

The venue is Villablanca which for you guys coming from Portugal is the next turning after Ayamonte on the motorway (Exit 127 I think)

Even if you don't want to play just come and hang out with us "foreigners". If you guys would like to stay overnight, we can arrange hotels etc at discounted rates

Look forward to seeing you all there.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi, I have checked the 'family' and nobody is out there then and unfortunately I will not be out until mid July, but thanks for the invite keep them coming you never know. OB
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

mjbb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Cricket - Eastern Algarve

I am trying to set up a trip for a Casuals XI beginning of October 2007, fixtures Fri, Sat Sun.

Will be staying in Tavira area

Can anyone help?

mjbb

Last edited by mjbb; Jul 7th 2007 at 2:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.