Crayfish!!!

Old Sep 4th 2018, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crayfish!!!

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Oh & FWIW, scampi often isn't scampi at all but rather often monkfish or part monkfish & that scam(pi) has been going on for decades.

Ever wondered what's REALLY in your scampi? You'll wish you hadn't asked... Daily Mail Online
Scampi is always scampi
The crap you get served that many restaurants list as scampi is not always the genuine article and they are ripping you off, very prevalent in the UK
Only pay for the ones presented in their shell.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Sep 4th 2018 at 7:26 am.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

when I first lived in India, in the 70's, a foreigner saw a local fisherman catch a lobster [or crayfish some said, as the ones there had no claws] on a hook and line.
The fisherman threw it back in disgust.
So the white guy tells him hey, next time you catch one bring to me and I'll give you 50 cents for it.
Everyone was happy for a while.
Then the tourist boom started and lots of Europeans came and the restaurants started bidding for those lobsters; soon the little things were going for $10 each.
It was the same with Tiger prawns, the net trawling boats brought them in and for a few bucks you could feed 10 people.
soon, a freezer truck waits at the dock, pays international prices and they're in Dubai and London within a few days.
I never eat them now; they tasted great when they were fresh caught and cheap enough to eat my fill.
Anyway, they're probably full of micro-plastic.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Everyone was happy for a while.
Then the tourist boom started
Anyway, they're probably full of micro-plastic.
Same way small calamari became popular on the cocktail circuit and in a few years reefs were damaged from nets being dragged over them and stocks depleted because the fine nets get everything. A friend cautioned me to limit my intake of crays because of concentrated heavy metals like lithium that build up in the flesh next to the exoskeleton and don't get excreted through skin like they do from fish. He's barking mad but this seemed to make sense (I ate the crayfish anyway) so there's no reason why they wouldn't be full of micro-plastic as well; less was known then about that pollutant than is now.