Cowbells

Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cowbells

For me, here in the Alentejo, the sound of the cowbells - both on cattle and sheep, is an integral part of life day-to-say. There's something soothing about the gentle ringing of the bells - and a miniature one on my dog's collar means she can always be located.

But, until today, I didn't realise that the manufacture of these bells had been inscribed on the Unesco "Intangible Cultural Heritage" list, as an endangered process with a history of over 2000 years! The process is endangered as there are only a handful of "masters" left and most of them are over 70 years old! It's centred on AlcaƧovas, near Evora - and I didn't realise the skill and knowledge that goes into making these items - but there is a fascinating film (in English) on YouTube that shows the process -

Yet another fascinating, but easily overlooked item that makes Portugal such a treasure-trove.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Cowbells

Wonderful video and a sound I love too, I hope the future isn't only this ...

Luddites, Beware: These 5 Livestock Wearables Are the Future - Modern Farmer
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Thanks.

The old fishing boats aren't going to be around much longer either. Sadly another lost art. I remember in the 70's when these boats were rowed by the fisherman!

Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A Dutch friend of mine teaches wooden boat building; reintroducing the craft to areas where it was lost due to conflict or economic changes.
But you need affordable labor, and affordable hardwood.
Also, the ability to earn a profit with the boat when it's built.
He spent a year in Eritrea, and another on an island in Indonesia.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing this beautifully made video!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pleased that people like the video, although I only discovered it. I was fascinated by the "sweating" process, covering the bell with mud and straw before firing it ...... how old a technique is that - but how effective!

My Podengo has a favourite "enemy" - a neighbour's Rafeiro Alentejano that's constantly on the hunt for food. She can tell the particular sound of the bell on the Rafeiro's collar and rushes to her barking point to repel all boarders!! No other bell has the same effect......

As for the boats - the shape and the paintwork of the Saveiro suggest roots at least as old as the cowbell - similar to boats in Malta. It would be sad to see them disappear.....
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks macliam That was lovely. We have the privilege of enjoying the sound of the bells on cattle that graze next to our golf course and on Goats that climb the land around us. Like you say it is the soothing sound of centuries

Friends of ours must have visited this place near Evora. They were searching for chocolate and saw a sign which lead them there instead. lol...They bought a bell for their gate post . I have had one on my gatepost for a few yrs,much prefer it to a buzzer..
Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same problem with all handmade things; they just don't sell for enough money to attract new producers.

My wife is a ceramic artist. At a show she had, someone said the E110 was too much money for a piece, and that she was too greedy.

That piece took 20 hours to make; in a studio space worth 30 per day, and used materials costing E20.

Now that almost everything is made in high volume at ultra-low cost, it's easy to forget how much work it is to make things one-off by hand. And the value of that work.