Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Covid travel restrictions

Covid travel restrictions

Old Dec 12th 2020, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Juleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Covid travel restrictions

Hi Guys,

Wonder if you could help. I gather that non EU countries (the UK from the end of this month) aren't allowed to travel throughout the EU at this time due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Does my having Portuguese residency enable me to get around these restrictions and to travel more freely to other EU countries - in other words to be as restricted or free to travel as other EU citizens.

Cheers for any help on this subject.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid travel restrictions

I think the restrictions apply to persons travelling from non EU countries into the EU if that travel isn't for a justified reason. If I remember correctly returning citizens/residents are considered a justified reason.
Similarly if you're a Brit who is a resident of Portugal you can travel to Spain as the restrictions apply to 'entering' the EU, and you're not, you're already in the EU.
That's how I understand it.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 8:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juleskitoo
Hi Guys,

Wonder if you could help. I gather that non EU countries (the UK from the end of this month) aren't allowed to travel throughout the EU at this time due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Does my having Portuguese residency enable me to get around these restrictions and to travel more freely to other EU countries - in other words to be as restricted or free to travel as other EU citizens.

Cheers for any help on this subject.
Hi, as far as travelling within France is concerned, take a look in the pertinent thread in the France forum ("Transiting through France during Covid"). It will be possible to travel within France, without an Attestation, from 15th December, but there'll be a curfew from 20h00 to 06h00 (except for Christmas Eve). Also, restaurants, cafés, etc.. will remain closed and cinemas, theatres, etc... won't re-open as originally announced, until January. France wouldn't be a good place to visit before well into next year....
You'd have to check from official sources about movement within the EU in general. There might be test results/quarantine to be considered when crossing borders and the conditions might change from one day to the next. With proof of Portuguese residency, you would at least be justified in returning "home" via France...
HTH
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:59 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexled...-requirements/
This was quite informative.