Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Could I live on 1000 euros a month

Could I live on 1000 euros a month

Old May 4th 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default Could I live on 1000 euros a month

Hi everyone. after buying say a small 2 bedroom house and car do you think I could live on 1000 euros a month? I'm single and at 61 years no longer a party cat!
Old May 4th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Could I live on 1000 euros a month

yes , no problem at all
Single person with your own house, no rent and not too much partying you can live like a king here on 1000 a month
Small house - obviously this varies,
30 council tax 3-400 p.a 30 month
100 electricty 100 . month without a pool
40 water 30-50
20 car insurance 200 p.a
10 car tax - small car 5 years old 100 p.a
400 food - i reckon 25% cheaper than UK, booze ciggies most meat much cheaper - so say 400 per month
25 gas for cooking /hot water 25 per month
40 annual car service 500
100 car fuel - 100 per month
50 tv/phone/internet 50
20 additional heating (part in electricity) 200 wood / extra electricity
total 835 - leaves you 165 euros to have fun

If of course you meant paunds you have around another 300 euros spare

Of course the real answer is how long is a piece of string

Its a lovely place, beach, sea, walks, sunshine all free

Wishing you the best of luck
Old May 4th 2013, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Steve, comprehensive answer. Thank you
Old May 4th 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

The two of us live quite happily on half that amount.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

hi Jan, wish we could - whats your secret ?
Old May 5th 2013, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Now this is getting really interesting! 500 euros a month??
Old May 5th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

That's his pension - that's what we have.

We do have money in the bank for emergencies, holidays major car problems, but it's all down to budgeting.
Old May 5th 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

nandnjudge2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct me if I am wrong with all the changes taking place on the tax side you may find there is also an income tax liability
Old May 5th 2013, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Wow 500 a month, would love a breakdown of that!
Old May 5th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough

Ask the average UK pensioner who was not lucky enough to have a company pension or who was not forward thinking enough to take out a private pension and their state pension would only be circa £500 a month.

So I imagine plenty of people are doing it.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

He was self employed for 40 odd years and I just got used to budgeting - some years we'd be mega rich, others not doing so well.

As a carpenter, it was very dependant on the weather.

And yes, i did work, saved like a mad thing to move over here and retired at 47.

So no pension for me for a few years yet.

We manage. And we're quite happy.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

That's interesting, does your husband find work with his skills?
Old May 6th 2013, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Seeing Steve's breakdown the bills we have are much the same, although we have maybe double the food bill,2 cars to run with fully comp insurance(200 is 3rd party money) and 150 for nursery.... Yet we spend at least 2k a month! The breakdown sounds right so we are obviously doing something far wrong
Old May 6th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

He's not working now Daisyman, apart from helping a few friends out, here and there.

At almost 67, he's had enough
Old May 6th 2013, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

A breakdown you want, for me it's about 250/300€ per month.

House tax 30€ per year
Electric low 35€ high 55€ per month
Water Low 5.47€ high 6.07€ per month
Internet 27.99 average per month inc calls to the UK " Free "
Food about a 100€ because i only eat fresh food " no tins, or packages of any kind "
Car fuel, ins and tax 50€ per month
A night out at the club we go to would be 4.80€ " that's 6 superbok @ 80 cents each "

I am on my own and i don't live in Little Britan in the south.

Best of all i wnat for nothing and find it hard to spend money as it's so cheap here in Central Portual.

Peter " Dreams can come true "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.