Reload this Page >

Cost of accountant's time for set questions

Cost of accountant's time for set questions

Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Arlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of accountant's time for set questions

Hi,

Anyone got a rough (or exact) idea of how much (inc. IVA, etc) a Portuguese accountant would charge for brief answers to a set of questions? Similarly are there solicitors that do the same sort of thing?

I'm thinking of the sort of things that would take no research by the accountant eg:
I do programming for a UK company and earn €10k per year and live in Portugal how much social security and income tax do I need to pay?
or:
What licences/registration do I need to make and sell chairs (no employees, just me)?

Are there accountants that do this sort of piecework? It's mainly about getting an idea of what the pitfalls or better routes for working would be rather than having applications forms filled in, hour long meetings, etc.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost of accountant's time for set questions

Originally Posted by Arlo
Hi,

Anyone got a rough (or exact) idea of how much (inc. IVA, etc) a Portuguese accountant would charge for brief answers to a set of questions? Similarly are there solicitors that do the same sort of thing?

I'm thinking of the sort of things that would take no research by the accountant eg:
I do programming for a UK company and earn €10k per year and live in Portugal how much social security and income tax do I need to pay?
or:
What licences/registration do I need to make and sell chairs (no employees, just me)?

Are there accountants that do this sort of piecework? It's mainly about getting an idea of what the pitfalls or better routes for working would be rather than having applications forms filled in, hour long meetings, etc.
Where are you based?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

My accountant [who's a big shot in a big office] met us and answered all questions at no charge.
We were so impressed, we've had his people do our taxes ever since.
I've had the same experience with other accountants in other countries.
In another instance, I paid E100 for an hour consultation with an accountant when we both knew he wouldn't be getting any business from me.
It was money well spent actually.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Was he "My accountant" before you asked the questions or do you think answered on the (reasonable) expectation that there would be more work to come?

I'm assuming from the context that the accountant was Portuguese, would initial consultations normally be free in Portugal?

I'd be glad to have questions answered for free but I wouldn't mind paying the odd €10 for definitive answers to specific questions.

I agree with the €100ph reaction unless it was pro rata as my questions would only take a minute or two.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't my accountant before our meeting; I was expecting to be charged for the consultation. He's actually a Portuguese accountant who is an American. He writes books on dual tax treaties, and really knows his stuff.

I made a deal with the second guy to consult for an hour. We actually went to about an hour and a half, but he didn't charge me extra.

My first accountant in Portugal seemed extremely competent, and was recommended by a big financial consulting company. It turned out she was totally ignorant, and our first year we paid double taxes. She's moved into bigger offices in Lagoa now, and looks very impressive.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Default Steppitoe: Re: Cost of accountant's time for set questions

Sorry didn't see your question.

I'm based in the UK (Brighton) but looking at moving to central Portugal. It would be done as a remortgage of my property here, part of downsizing plans.

Future type of work and location are a bit hazy because I'm trying to get a feel for what is needed in terms of ongoing costs if I do any work in Portugal. The income would be so low, at least initially, that I couldn't afford to pay taxes that weren't based on a percentage of income.

In the UK there's a tax-free amount you can earn before paying anything. I'd need to check that type of thing out before relocating (in physical or tax terms).
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Default liveaboard Re: Cost of accountant's time for set questions

I see. Any chance of pm'ing me the good accountant's details (let me know if you want me to credit you with the referral).
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Steppitoe: Re: Cost of accountant's time for set questions

Sorry didn't see your question.

I'm based in the UK (Brighton) but looking at moving to central Portugal. It would be done as a remortgage of my property here, part of downsizing plans.

Future type of work and location are a bit hazy because I'm trying to get a feel for what is needed in terms of ongoing costs if I do any work in Portugal. The income would be so low, at least initially, that I couldn't afford to pay taxes that weren't based on a percentage of income.

In the UK there's a tax-free amount you can earn before paying anything. I'd need to check that type of thing out before relocating (in physical or tax terms).
Ok no point me recommending someone on the Algarve. Personal allowances are very low here although the main killer is the social security payments. So whoever you speak to make sure you look into the Caixa element.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

I'll check that (caixa) out, thank you for taking the time to explain all of that.

A lot of what I see in the forum is the downside, hopefully I'll be out there soon and see some of the upside too.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

A lot of what I see in the forum is the downside,
Sad but true; yet mostly written by people who none the less choose to stay here.

The thing is, we all meet disaster cases all the time, people who've left their home base without realizing how difficult it can be to start in another country with no family or state backup.

And in Portugal even the locals can barely make it; they're leaving in droves.

If you have some money coming in from somewhere, or a job or business you can run from a distance, it's great. The weather is fantastic, culture is welcoming to outsiders, infrastructure is excellent [in some areas at least].

I'm going to have to leave, and I'm not happy about it.