Reload this Page >

considering move to portugal

considering move to portugal

Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:38 am
Just Joined

lmesth1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile considering move to portugal

December 4th, 2013
Hi, I am a uk citizen, and in 1985 I moved to usa and have a usa citizenship also.
I'm currently living in usa. I am thinking about a move to Portugal, closer to family in uk. I have been to Portugal many, many years ago and loved it, I stayed in lagos, if I remember it was on the Algarve coast line, correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that brits can live in Europe now, without passport or visa, but I do not know if there are other legal or other requirements. I am going to be 64 yrs in 2014. I have a small skin care business in my studio, an addition to my home. (I had to downsize due to economy here).

I was hoping I might be able to continue my skin care business in Portugal, in a similar fashion, and what would be required for me to do so, and are there any other requirements to be able to live & work in Portugal?

I would not want to purchase a home, at this time in my life I would prefer to rent in a safe neighbourhood, and safe to walk in the evening alone! if anyone has some examples of rentals with ballpark costs to rent, I'd appreciate it. I would also like to know the areas where the brit expats live!

Also, if you can tell me what type of health care is available is it like uk or would I need to purchase private health insurance, or pay out of pocket costs for doctors? Also what is the quality of medical care portugal has, approx. cost of living for single person to live comfortably on, I'm not rich, so I will need to be a little frugal.

What about Government, is it stable? Also how banking operates, and money transferred from usa & uk to Portugal, and taxes....let's not forget taxes!!

How safe is Portugal? What is the crime rate there, compared with other European countries? Does Portugal have a definite police presence? How does there judicial system work?

what types of public transport is available or is it better to have a car?

I have given you a whole lot of questions, I'm trying to cover all areas that I will need to know, to be able to make an informed decision with all the facts. If there is anything else I will need to know that I have not mentioned, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I appreciate your help, wisdom and guidance and suggestions? Linda
P.S.....currency in usa is dollars and Europe is euros! but, I'll be able to use a converter chart to figure out the amounts! Thanks again.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:31 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering move to portugal

Hi Linda and welcome to BE

Best place for these questions is in the Portugal forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

lots of helpful people who can help and advise you

good luck
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: considering move to portugal

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Hi Linda and welcome to BE

Best place for these questions is in the Portugal forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

lots of helpful people who can help and advise you

good luck
Thank you MrsFychan, I thought I was placing my thread in Portugal forum, but it showed up in welcome inn, and I don't know how to transfer my post. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmesth1
Thank you MrsFychan, I thought I was placing my thread in Portugal forum, but it showed up in welcome inn, and I don't know how to transfer my post. Any suggestions?
I'll move it for you
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: considering move to portugal

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll move it for you
Thank you for moving it for me. linda
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Go to www.expatsportugal.com Click on; expats forum. click on; Red tape/Business, click on; Is it possible to a successful and legal business in PT.
You may wish to think twice about trying to run and live of such a venture.
Best of luck!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll move it for you
Hi SM. How do I remove my classified adds?
Thanks.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:34 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I would not include running a business as being an essential part of your plan.
As a non Portuguese speaker you would have to focus on those parts of Portgal with large expat populations.
These areas also have the highest property costs.
If you still hold an EU passport them residence would not be an issue, you would have to take up Portuguese tax residency but there are no major issues.
You would need private healthcare unless you are contributing towards the Portuguese social security system whch brings us back to the complexities of running a business.
Owning a vehicle is an essential .
Regarding Tax, if your income is currently generated in the US you would need to investigate any tax treaties between the US and Portugal.
You would not want to find yourself being taxed twice.
As another poster suggested look at ExpatsPortugal you will find members who have moved from the states and can give you details of their experience.