Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

computer technology

computer technology

Old Jun 11th 2016, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: computer technology

Originally Posted by GeniB
I don't use windows at all (Apple macbook air) I have never had a problem in fact since it was set up 5 yrs ago. As has been said. 'Good Housekeeping' keeps most problems at bay.and a great techie on hand helps.

It wasn't actually my point of discussion though. Much as I love my mac and the ability it gives me to function well here in the Algarve,communicate,discover,be informed etc.I wonder where it's leading us as humans. We are definitely more insular.We are less patient with the non techie world.Our kids don't act like kids anymore,locked in their rooms for hrs on end.I always thought the machine was supposed to help us.It seems that we are becoming the tool of the machine. Or is that an exaggeration ?
It could be that you are exaggerating. The kids I know are not allowed by their parents to be locked in their rooms. Yes, they do spend a lot of time on their mobile phones and computers but they are communicating with their friends, some of them in other countries, or researching the internet to help with their homework. Good parenting skills is the secret to bringing up kids in this world.

You cannot change the evolving nature of this hi-tech world. You have to adapt to the times. I'm 72 and continue to adapt; it keeps me fit in the mind, whilst tennis and other sporting activities keep me fit in the body. Insular is not a word in my vocabulary when surrounded by friends and family in this wonderful country.

I'm somewhere between techie and non-techie and I consider it my duty to help my non-techie friends whenever they need help.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
It could be that you are exaggerating. The kids I know are not allowed by their parents to be locked in their rooms. Yes, they do spend a lot of time on their mobile phones and computers but they are communicating with their friends, some of them in other countries, or researching the internet to help with their homework. Good parenting skills is the secret to bringing up kids in this world.

You cannot change the evolving nature of this hi-tech world. You have to adapt to the times. I'm 72 and continue to adapt; it keeps me fit in the mind, whilst tennis and other sporting activities keep me fit in the body. Insular is not a word in my vocabulary when surrounded by friends and family in this wonderful country.

I'm somewhere between techie and non-techie and I consider it my duty to help my non-techie friends whenever they need help.

You sound like a very well balanced person Bill. Got your priorities right and have passed that on to your kids. We have done the same. It does concern me though to see how many families on holiday here sit down to a meal and instantly plug into the iPhones,laptops etc. Making sure the kids have their headphones on first of course
We were enjoying the beautiful balmy weather of a few days ago sitting in a restaurant right on the ocean. The family who came to sit at the table beside us did exactly as described above. Never spoke a word to each other all through the meal.Didn't even acknowledge the amazing view. Sad
Old Jun 12th 2016, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, we also see that family behaviour every time we dine out. Worse still, we see young couples sitting opposite each other but communicating by smart phone with others not even in the restaurant. They hardly talk to each other but post photos of their meal on Facebook and the like. Am I missing out on something here? I always joke that I'm too smart for a smart phone! I'm not really, I'm just too busy to be disturbed by one.