Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The clearing of land before the end of May?

The clearing of land before the end of May?

Old Apr 15th 2018, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default The clearing of land before the end of May?

I haven't scrolled back to see if this has already been mentioned,but is anyone involved in this exercise?
Went out to lunch with friends yesterday ,then back to their home for coffee. They have over 17 hectares and found the GNR and the forestry folks on the doorstep a few weeks ago,with an arial photo of their property .They were instructed to clear all area's marked in red,reduce the height of certain shrubs and tree's etc.All before the 15t of March (a ridiculously short amount of time)

Its now been extended into May before the fines begin. I was astonished at how much work they had had to undertake...What also astonished me...They are no where near close neighbours!!!..
I haven't asked them how much this has cost them..but I imagine its not peanuts...They have subsequently had two more visits from the GNR ....
I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else...

We are classed as living in an urban area so, so far exempt. I would hate to cut down my huge pine tree's ,and plan to fight if it comes to it. Using the excuse that they are home to the endangered Azure Magpies who nest there Fingers crossed
Old Apr 15th 2018, 9:39 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The clearing of land before the end of May?

Originally Posted by GeniB
I haven't scrolled back to see if this has already been mentioned,but is anyone involved in this exercise?
Went out to lunch with friends yesterday ,then back to their home for coffee. They have over 17 hectares and found the GNR and the forestry folks on the doorstep a few weeks ago,with an arial photo of their property .They were instructed to clear all area's marked in red,reduce the height of certain shrubs and tree's etc.All before the 15t of March (a ridiculously short amount of time)

Its now been extended into May before the fines begin. I was astonished at how much work they had had to undertake...What also astonished me...They are no where near close neighbours!!!..
I haven't asked them how much this has cost them..but I imagine its not peanuts...They have subsequently had two more visits from the GNR ....
I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else...

We are classed as living in an urban area so, so far exempt. I would hate to cut down my huge pine tree's ,and plan to fight if it comes to it. Using the excuse that they are home to the endangered Azure Magpies who nest there Fingers crossed
Having benefited from the new laws with trees that bordered us now removed we are in favour of the changes
Having see just how fast fires move , not being close to habitation is no defence against the new regulations.
Put this way, a few may be inconvenienced for the safety and security of the many.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 12:17 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Having benefited from the new laws with trees that bordered us now removed we are in favour of the changes
Having see just how fast fires move , not being close to habitation is no defence against the new regulations.
Put this way, a few may be inconvenienced for the safety and security of the many.
Sorry, wrong - it may have worked in your favour, but it's just a knee-jerk from the government to enforce rules that were on the books for years - and it is hitting the wrong people. Eucalyptus are still growing and still too close to roads, etc., but people with pine tree plantations are having to cut them down if the crowns grow too close. People are being forced to remove hedges and ornamental trees in properties which pose no danger to other properties, whilst councils allow cistus to grow uncontrolled on the margins of country roads. AND, in my area, the government are paying out money with one hand to reforest areas whilst taking it back with the other, removing trees that already exist!

... Oh - and if you want to see the rapid spread of fire, check shrub fires. Two years ago I watched one on my property move 200m in 5 minutes.... no trees, no bushes, just dry grass and thistles. The evergreen hedge I am now being told to remove actually stopped the fire reaching my house!!

home to the endangered Azure Magpies who nest there Fingers crossed
Have you moved to Asia? I guess you mean the charnecos (Iberian Magpies) - if they're endangered you can re-stock from those around me ...... and hopefully before they strip my olive and fruit trees like last year!!

Last edited by macliam; Apr 15th 2018 at 12:24 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Just cleared all the Rock Rose off our land.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Sorry, wrong - it may have worked in your favour, but it's just a knee-jerk from the government to enforce rules that were on the books for years - and it is hitting the wrong people. Eucalyptus are still growing and still too close to roads, etc., but people with pine tree plantations are having to cut them down if the crowns grow too close. People are being forced to remove hedges and ornamental trees in properties which pose no danger to other properties, whilst councils allow cistus to grow uncontrolled on the margins of country roads. AND, in my area, the government are paying out money with one hand to reforest areas whilst taking it back with the other, removing trees that already exist!

... Oh - and if you want to see the rapid spread of fire, check shrub fires. Two years ago I watched one on my property move 200m in 5 minutes.... no trees, no bushes, just dry grass and thistles. The evergreen hedge I am now being told to remove actually stopped the fire reaching my house!!

Have you moved to Asia? I guess you mean the charnecos (Iberian Magpies) - if they're endangered you can re-stock from those around me ...... and hopefully before they strip my olive and fruit trees like last year!!
Whatever you may think and I agree with you re monoculture,the horrendous deaths of last year demanded action.
If the new legislation results in fewer deaths it will be worth it.
GenB can have our azul magpies, cannot believe they are endangered given their rapid spread across the Algarve.
We have see fewer small birds as magpie numbers increase.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

GNR troubled my neighbor about his small firewood pile; told him it had to be 50 meters from the house.
I wonder how that will work for people who don't have 50 meters?
They also told him to cut some trees that aren't his.

I'm waiting for them to come by my place and clarify whether I need to clear out the little patch of forest I own alongside the track behind the house; I don't know whether it's considered a road. I don't want to kill all those trees but I will if they say I must.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 2:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Whatever you may think and I agree with you re monoculture,the horrendous deaths of last year demanded action.
If the new legislation results in fewer deaths it will be worth it.
GenB can have our azul magpies, cannot believe they are endangered given their rapid spread across the Algarve.
We have see fewer small birds as magpie numbers increase.
But the whole point is IT WON'T - people didn't die incinerated in a garden in the Algarve, not did they perish, immolated by the raging fires across the pine-tree plantations of the Alentejo. They died because nothing had been done to enforce the margins around combustible eucalyptus plantations..... and those around Coimbra/Agueda might tell us how much is being done to the eucalyptus there.

With regard to the cistus, what amazed me in the scrub fire I mentioned was that the cistus didn't actually catch fire! Now, I'm not saying that it wouldn't if fire was applied for a longer period, but it didn't actually help the travel of the flamefront I was fighting. I have been told to remove a freestanding evergreen hedge 3m from my house (but over 100m from my boundary), which not only stops the dust from the dirt road and affords me some privacy, but also stopped fire from reaching my house because it doesn't burn easily.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

We have a pine tree on council land a few feet from our house the roots have broken through a boundary wall .. The dry pines fall in abundance on our roof so my OH has to sweep constantly .. I'm not sure if it's height but when approaching the local office to get it cut back or removed they stated it was too tall to be able to do anything about. Will be interesting when I claim against them for it falling into my house which I'm sure we'll may happen if it's not resolved.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liveaboard
GNR troubled my neighbor about his small firewood pile; told him it had to be 50 meters from the house.
I wonder how that will work for people who don't have 50 meters?
They also told him to cut some trees that aren't his.

I'm waiting for them to come by my place and clarify whether I need to clear out the little patch of forest I own alongside the track behind the house; I don't know whether it's considered a road. I don't want to kill all those trees but I will if they say I must.
Who has 50m to store their wood? I don’t and I’m sure the majority don’t have either. A little pragmatism is needed here with the authorities or 90% of the population will be cold this winter.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 5:54 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Who has 50m to store their wood? I don’t and I’m sure the majority don’t have either. A little pragmatism is needed here with the authorities or 90% of the population will be cold this winter.
Back when the push to get this legislation complied with first started, there was a news report of the GNR going about informing people of their obligations with regard to this legislation. During the course of it, one person was shown being advised to store wood away from the side of her property where it had been stacked but it was made clear that this was only advice.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 7:00 pm
EMR
Banned

But the whole point is IT WON'T - people didn't die incinerated in a garden in the Algarve, not did they perish, immolated by the raging fires across the pine-tree plantations of the Alentejo. They died because nothing had been done to enforce the margins around combustible eucalyptus plantations..... and those around Coimbra/Agueda might tell us how much is being done to the eucalyptus there.

With regard to the cistus, what amazed me in the scrub fire I mentioned was that the cistus didn't actually catch fire! Now, I'm not saying that it wouldn't if fire was applied for a longer period, but it didn't actually help the travel of the flamefront I was fighting. I have been told to remove a freestanding evergreen hedge 3m from my house (but over 100m from my boundary), which not only stops the dust from the dirt road and affords me some privacy, but also stopped fire from reaching my house because it doesn't burn easily.
That people did not die in the Algarve is just good fortune.
Had you seen the fires on Monchique had they been in areas of higher population it could have been a very different picture.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Nope Our native Magpie is known as the Iberian/ Azure Magpie ( because of the blue wings) and indeed it is also found in Japan. and other parts of Asia.. but nowhere else in the world apart from southern Spain and the Algarve.. It might be pinching fruit off you, but your saving an endangered bird

Last edited by GeniB; Apr 15th 2018 at 8:48 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 8:15 pm
EMR
Banned

Nope Our native Magpie is known as the Azure Magpie ( because of the blue wings) and indeed it is also found in Japan... but nowhere else in the world apart from southern Spain and the Algarve.. It might be pinching fruit off you, but your saving an endangered bird
The azul Magpie is thought to have come on boats from Asia,
It is not an endemic European bird but a sub species of that which is commonly found in parts of Asia.
Endangered it is not.

Last edited by EMR; Apr 15th 2018 at 8:39 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

According to the Bombeiros the people died because they panicked and fled in their cars. along roads where the tarmac had become so hot it burst the tyres on their cars. Thereby trapping them. My argument at the time was that vulnerable villages like those involved (miles from anywhere,one road in and out ) should have had a shelter they could have used in the village,,, a bunker.. That now seems to be the conclusion the Government has come to and they will be built this year
I always hate over the top knee jerk reactions to tragic events. It won't bring those who perished back. nor will it ensure tragedy won't strike again. Meanwhile it has caused untold difficulties for many people who are normally more than conscientious about keeping their land controlled.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
The Saul Magpie is thought to have come on boats from Asia,
It is not an endemic European bird but a sub species of that which is commonly found in parts of Asia.
Endangered it is not.
Can you give more fact on that EMR... As I was informed by a reliable source that it definitely was...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.