Reload this Page >

Classic Car importation to Portugal

Classic Car importation to Portugal

Old Jul 17th 2021, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Swisshockey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Classic Car importation to Portugal

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I expect to be moving to Portugal in 12-18 months from the UK. I read an earlier thread (pre-Brexit) and want to be current on this matter. I own and have owned for more than 15 years a 1966 ShelbyGT350 and 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40-- both in mint conditions. Coming from the UK where these classic cars are 'welcome' with very favorable 'condition' (attractive insurance costs, historic value, no inspection and no taxes to import when I brought them with me from Switzerland).

How can i determine the most cost effective method to import these wonderful classics? Can you recommend an expert in classic car importation whom I could pay to ensure this process goes without surprise and smooth.

Many thanks,
Ed
Old Jul 17th 2021, 10:06 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic Car importation to Portugal

I think you will find that there is NO concession for importation by virtue of the cars being classic.

However if you are due to become officially resident with all that side of things in order then you are permitted to bring in ONE car you currently own ( certain rules about how long ownership and so on ) and THAT car avoids the otherwise swingeing taxes imposed.

But your second car, presumably the less valuable, you would have t pay the full whack of taxes on. I am not resident and was quoted about seven thousand ( yes ! it's not a mistyping !) for importing a little old Clio valued at around €3,000, and from 2006 reg in the UK.

You might wish to consider whether you really really need both cars with you. And if you do start now psyching yourself up to pay the mad taxes.

Yes there are various Agencies which do the paperwork etc for a fee. Oh, and far from Classics getting any kind of concession,, if they emit loads of CO2 the import costs are bumped up even more.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a Classic car on the roads. I am sure there must be some, but anecdotally, few and far between.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a few. One really old thing from the 30's, a desoto or something, the owner told me it was 10 liters straight 6.
Most old cars here seem to be Renault 4s.

The shelby is a special car; not sure if it will pass type approval as they were never common.

The land cruiser is fairly common here, there are a few in my area and a friend of mine has one too. They're not cheap though.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

Best you contact the experts Automobile Club of Portugal.
Never actually dealt with them but understand they are very helpful , particularly when it comes to Classics
There is actually quite a following in Portugal and in previous years there was a well attended rally/exhibition in Vilamoura Marina during August

https://www.acp.pt/inicio
Old Jul 18th 2021, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to what has been written above;
There is no CO2 element in the calculation of ISV for vehicles for pre 1970 vehicles, it's based solely on engine size.
An 80% discount would be applied to the ISV for 1980 Landcruiser (post 1970).
A 95% discount would be applied to the ISV for the 1966 Shelby (pre 1970).

However it still won't be cheap.

P:S: - The classic car scene in Portugal is huge.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think these guys might give you some pointers ? https://www.rentaclassiccarportugal....BoC0L0QAvD_BwE

This is the website of the Automobile Club https://www.acp.pt/inicio

Old Jul 19th 2021, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

There was some posts from an SouthAfrican about his saga of importing his classic Jeep, I'll PM you details.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

I went with a mate to customs when he was trying to import his 20 year old €1k Spanish registered Merc, about 2 years after he was given 5 years temporary residence. They wanted €8k duty/tax. Anyone formally immigrating can (during the process) bring one car and pay very little but, IIRC, they have to have owned it for 6 months. Maybe worth checking if a couple immigrating can bring one car each.
Old Jul 4th 2022, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Richard S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swisshockey
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I expect to be moving to Portugal in 12-18 months from the UK. I read an earlier thread (pre-Brexit) and want to be current on this matter. I own and have owned for more than 15 years a 1966 ShelbyGT350 and 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40-- both in mint conditions. Coming from the UK where these classic cars are 'welcome' with very favorable 'condition' (attractive insurance costs, historic value, no inspection and no taxes to import when I brought them with me from Switzerland).

How can i determine the most cost effective method to import these wonderful classics? Can you recommend an expert in classic car importation whom I could pay to ensure this process goes without surprise and smooth.

Many thanks,
Ed
Hi Ed,
Can you share with us how it went with the importation of your 2 classics to Portugal and what it cost you?
I am moving to Portugal next year and I want to bring my 75 Landcruiser BJ40. What taxes can I expect to pay?
Old Jul 10th 2022, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Richard S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swisshockey
Hello,

Many thanks,
Ed
Greetings Ed,
Can you share how it went with importing your classics to Portugal? I am moving there soon and want to bring my BJ40 landcruiser.