Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Portugal

Christmas in Portugal

Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in Portugal

My days are full!
Projects and jobs I want to get done are stacked on top of each other. Literally.
Having said that, I admit I do watch the ants sometimes.
Can't help it.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 10:06 pm
Banned

hottoddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liveaboard
My days are full!
Projects and jobs I want to get done are stacked on top of each other. Literally.
Having said that, I admit I do watch the ants sometimes.
Can't help it.
I read a true story about a young child that fell-asleep with a sweet in his hand.Many days later he complained to his mother about his head hurting.She took the youngster to hospital later to find an army of ants had entered the boys brain.Sadly to say the boy died some weeks later.My thoughts have always remembered this poor boys story and suffering.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:26 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hottoddy
I read a true story about a young child that fell-asleep with a sweet in his hand.Many days later he complained to his mother about his head hurting.She took the youngster to hospital later to find an army of ants had entered the boys brain.Sadly to say the boy died some weeks later.My thoughts have always remembered this poor boys story and suffering.
Ummmm -see Ants in the Brain! - An Urban Legend
Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I find the story unlikely, but that "debunk" page did not satisfy. They simply dismissed the tale as improbable without disproving it.

Don't read the rest of this post if you have a queasy stomach!

Ants will chew right through a person if the person doesn't do anything to stop them. If a person were unconscious through injury or narcosis for instance.
Or physically restrained. we've seen that in the moves, supposedly it was [is?] a used torture technique to tie a person and let ants eat them alive.

I have seen ants colonizing a cadaver through the nasal passage. And they were pretty quick about it too, it was only a few hours. They were not deterred by a few mm of membrane.

There's a tapeworm that will live in a human brain for months with few symptoms showing. A friend of mine had this infection; he developed epilepsy and a scan revealed some sort of clot there. Brain surgery was scheduled. His mother in law insisted he be tested for the worm infection [a blood test] as he'd spent a lot of time in the tropics where it's endemic, and had eaten pork there [not a good idea].
When tested positive, he was treated chemically and recovered fully.
This is a well known tropical infection, "Cysticercosis". Most people die; my friend was very lucky.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Don't read the rest of this post if you have a queasy stomach!
I love the way this thread has moved from Christmas to brain eating ants
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Christmas is all about mass consumption.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by macliam
Well this little person apparently was eaten by ants.However the local dialect is hard to understand
enjoy
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:49 pm
Banned

Christmas is all about mass consumption.
Well that`s the reason for Christmas.And why Santa is fat
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
Just for you back on track.

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way.
Oh! what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh.
Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way;
Oh! what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

Just in case a Moderator closes this thread.? for not keeping to the O.P topic.Anyway its Christmas for all living things including ants
Old Dec 6th 2016, 11:01 pm
Banned

No it really is true honestly 🤡
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:14 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

No it really is true honestly 🤡
I actually don't care - there are many weird things claimed in the world.

However, this thread is so far off topic it hurts. Have you considered whether this has any relevance to the OP, or do you just like to post for postings sake?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:17 pm
Banned

I actually don't care - there are many weird things claimed in the world.

However, this thread is so far off topic it hurts. Have you considered whether this has any relevance to the OP, or do you just like to post for postings sake?
Well i shall be truthful threads in any forums for me are more about contact than information.However let us get back to the topic in question a Christmas one at that

Silent night, Holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin, mother and child
Holy infant, tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

Silent Night has been translated into over 300 languages around the world and is one of the most popular carols of all time
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:21 pm
Resident Cynic

Well i shall be truthful threads in any forums for me are more about contact than information.However let us get back to the topic in question a Christmas one at that

Silent night, Holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin, mother and child
Holy infant, tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

Silent Night has been translated into over 300 languages around the world and is one of the most popular carols of all time
It's called "Stille Nacht" and it's Austrian (Franz Xaver Gruber/Joseph Mohr)

..... "Good King Wenceslas" - about a Czech king - is English
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:38 pm
Banned

It's called "Stille Nacht" and it's Austrian (Franz Xaver Gruber/Joseph Mohr)

..... "Good King Wenceslas" - about a Czech king - is English
Yes i know i always use Wikipedia for any information about anything.P,S i was trying to be jovial as you where unhappy about my off topic Christmas comments
Old Dec 10th 2016, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline

Yes So getting back to Christmas in Portugal..

The trick is to appreciate your own customs (we join the ex-pats in many christmas activities ,public and private Plus the organisations we belong to always organise a charity event.From collecting 'shoebox' gifts for the elderly,or Orphans ..to collecting for the Bombeiros To last nights Ball, and then enjoying the simplicity of the Portuguese Christmas.It reminds me of how it was in my childhood.

If you want bling. Then pop over to Seville. This sensational city looks amazing right now with a combination of thousands of orange trees laden with fruit and smelling divine,and beautiful Christmas decorations. Lisbon doesn't look too shabby this year either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.