Reload this Page >

Christmas in Portugal

Christmas in Portugal

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Simms19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas in Portugal

Hey there

I am based in the eastern Algarve. Just wondering what events or activities are happening around Christmas time in the Algarve. I seem to hear about things after they have happened! We have a 6 year old so would be interested to know about stuff happening for kids/families.

many thanks
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:58 am
Banned

hottoddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas in Portugal

Originally Posted by Simms19
Hey there

I am based in the eastern Algarve. Just wondering what events or activities are happening around Christmas time in the Algarve. I seem to hear about things after they have happened! We have a 6 year old so would be interested to know about stuff happening for kids/families.

many thanks
Ah Christmas nothing like a U.K Christmas.Still at least we are not in Australia imagine dressing up in a Santa outfit to entertain children in all that heat.? It must be unbearable.P.S sorry i can`t help you with your Christmas entertainment question However will post some Christmas spirit
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:01 am
Banned

As promised some Christmas spirit

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow
Old Nov 24th 2016, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

NYE in Monte Gordo is a great party with spectacular fireworks at midnight.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Are you on Facebook Simms19?
There are some useful groups on there.
Today in the "to Events in Algarve & Alentejo" group someone has posted...

Bethlehem village at igreja evangelical vale de Judeu Friday 2 December Saturday 3 December 19.00till 21.00 and Sunday 4 December 16.00 till 19.00.

..with a couple of follow on posts saying that it is good.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

The Algarve tennis and fitness club in Almancil has a Christmas Fayre on Dec 10th...

ATF&ACCA CHRISTMAS FAYRE | Algarve Tennis and Fitness
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Simms19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for adding to the Christmas spirit hottoddy!

Thank you for the other comments. I will have a look at the Facebook groups as well then

Merry Christmas All!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Simms19
Thanks for adding to the Christmas spirit hottoddy!

Thank you for the other comments. I will have a look at the Facebook groups as well then

Merry Christmas All!
You are welcome dear person i think its very difficult to actually retain the same Christmas spirit from England.For some reasons the Christmas dinner, decorations, even presents,Seem to be in the wrong place if that makes sense.?
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hottoddy
You are welcome dear person i think its very difficult to actually retain the same Christmas spirit from England.For some reasons the Christmas dinner, decorations, even presents,Seem to be in the wrong place if that makes sense.?
We seem to have gone so over the top with Christmas in the UK now, so much so that it grates on me.
Maybe Portugal is like the UK was 30 years ago.
I've just been looking through some old photos and there's my sister looking chuffed to bits with a colouring book and a matching brush and mirror set.

Isn't one of the differences that Christmas Eve is celebrated in a bigger way in Portugal than the UK?
Oh and alot more of the Portuguese actually believe in Christ, the real point of Christmas after all.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
We seem to have gone so over the top with Christmas in the UK now, so much so that it grates on me.
I've just been looking through some old photos and there's my sister looking chuffed to bits with a colouring book and a matching brush and mirror set.

Isn't one of the differences that Christmas Eve is celebrated in a bigger way in Portugal than the UK?
Oh and alot more of the Portuguese actually believe in Christ, the real point of Christmas after all.

It's true that christmas is taken as a religious festival still in Portugal.. Not sure if they still believe in the christ story though. Their feasting is a long drawn out affair . A Portuguese friend told me that they have a special supper on christmas Eve before they go to Mass.,but they celebrate christmas Day in the same way we do. They set a large table with food ,and it remains for several days , dishes being replenished as and when. Their main dish is based around Cod fish. (Bacalao) younger ones might also cook a turkey.
As to gifts. They are getting bigger.. we saw a little boy of about 9yrs old today in t he shopping precinct , running around on a mini Segway, calling someone on his iPhone .They are catching up
Old Dec 4th 2016, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeniB
It's true that christmas is taken as a religious festival still in Portugal.. Not sure if they still believe in the christ story though.
I've no experience of Portugal above the Algarve apart from a one week stay in Lisbon, but my Portuguese teacher lives in Central Portugal and her family is still very Catholic.
I once asked her if they still went to mass every Sunday as it is considered an obligation for Catholics but some in the UK had let that slide, her reply was that if you didn't go to mass every Sunday you weren't a Catholic, just a Christian.

But they say it's rude to discuss religion and to be honest as an atheist it's all a mystery to me. I respect peoples religions so I'll leave it there
Old Dec 4th 2016, 10:26 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I've no experience of Portugal above the Algarve apart from a one week stay in Lisbon, but my Portuguese teacher lives in Central Portugal and her family is still very Catholic.
I once asked her if they still went to mass every Sunday as it is considered an obligation for Catholics but some in the UK had let that slide, her reply was that if you didn't go to mass every Sunday you weren't a Catholic, just a Christian.

But they say it's rude to discuss religion and to be honest as an atheist it's all a mystery to me. I respect peoples religions so I'll leave it there
The 'Consoada' is the most important Christmas meal and it is eaten on Christmas Eve - food on Christmas day will vary from family to family, but I think any "special" food then is more due to the corrupting influence of television.

For my wife, consoada is always simple meal of bacalhau (usually "caras" - the cheeks and head-flesh of the cod), with boiled potatoes and cabbage (but dark Portuguese cabbage not the pallid English stuff!) In England my wife would substitute spring greens for the cabbage (or brussel sprout tops when they were cheap before bloody Jamie Oliver publicised them!). As I am not a fan of bacalhau (even after 26 years!) I eat grilled salmon to accompany her. This is eaten at "normal" Portuguese dinner time, so would be early for any midnight mass...... but then, her family never went to church.

I suspect the reason that disccussing religion might be considered rude is because this is not so much a window into the soul, but into the politics of the person concerned....... As an Irishman, I can tell you that the Catholic church is not 'catholic', and it is a very different animal in Portugal because it was a tool of the Estado Novo to control the people (Fe, Fado e Futbol - Faith, fado and Football - the 3 Fs). So although many people are Catholic in spirit, it is a personal faith and some love the Fatima experience, whilst others shun it (at home we called the extremely devout "Craw thumpers", from beating your breast during the act of contrition), some go to Mass every Sunday, but others attend church far less regularly, if at all. Christmas churchgoing depends on how people normally attend - unlike in Ireland where it was almost mandatory even if you never stepped inside the rest of the year!

Finally, with regard to presents and the "celebrations" .... indeed things were far simpler before 1974 - for the simple reason that many people were dirt poor. The generation post 25 April sought to give their children all the things they never had and raised a generation of "principes" - now that generation know only the TV experience and want to play catch-up. So Christmas "traditions" in Portugal are in flux - I hope in adopting imported ideas they don't lose their own.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 10:43 am
Banned

Well Portugal is a catholic country and as you said the real value or point of Christmas is goodwill to mankind.Shame this concept is only for a few days each year
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The aging population of my impoverished little village have pretty much lost their faith.
The old folks we bought our place from scoffed at an old Madonna my OH found on the property; 'useless' the old lady said bitterly.
The Church is open on Sunday mornings, but very few people go.

Personally, I celebrate the solstice on December 22.
The days stop getting shorter, and start getting longer again; that's got to be worth something.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by liveaboard
The aging population of my impoverished little village have pretty much lost their faith.
The old folks we bought our place from scoffed at an old Madonna my OH found on the property; 'useless' the old lady said bitterly.
The Church is open on Sunday mornings, but very few people go.

Personally, I celebrate the solstice on December 22.
The days stop getting shorter, and start getting longer again; that's got to be worth something.
Yes indeed more daylight hours to watch ants.Fascinating little critters drop a large crisp down by their hole.It takes them forever until its small enough to pull into their nest.P.S crinkle walker crisp are the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.