Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Christmas/New Year break - Lisbon

Christmas/New Year break - Lisbon

Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas/New Year break - Lisbon

Hi to you all,
I'm a little late back from the party, but this serves as a word of thanks to all the advise previously given in this thread.
To say we had a good time during our Christmas/New Year break would be an understatement. We had a fabulous time in Lisbon!!
Most of the visits and eating places suggested were tried. All were most memorable. Everywhere we went the locals were most welcoming, which helped to make the sejour so agreeable.
Suprisingly enough we found that one of the most interesting visits had not been previously mentioned, namely the Bank of Portugal's Money Museum. On the face of it doesn't sound very exciting, and were only expecting 30mins or so to view a handful of local coins to escape from the rain. We couldn't have been more surprised - imho this museum is a must visit, and variety of exhibits amazing, including human remains and many other artifacts discovered during excavations. The museum's exhibits cover 3 floors with a cafeteria at the top, which was a welcome stop after over 2 hrs of fascinating browsing.
All the restaurants we tried in Lisbon and Belém were excellent. At the end of the trip our son became known as the Bacalhau Kid - such was his addiction to it. I found myself becoming quite a connoisseur of the Pasteis de Nata, all somewhat similar but definitely not the same - those served up at the Antigua Confeitaria de Belem being truly outstanding.
So in summary, a great time, and certainly assisted by your comments and tips. Highly recomendable!
Old Mar 4th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed Portugal and thanks for the new info, bjs
Old Jan 1st 2019, 4:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Boa noite from the France forum! Just to say obrigada for all the suggestions in answer to tp's enquiry. I made use of them for our trip to Lisbon around Christmas-time this year. On the gastronomic front, I became a Bacalhau, Caldo Verde and Pasteis de nata addict. The Mercado da Ribeira was an impressive eatery and my veggie daughters found a lot of other veggie-friendly restaurants, so we were all happy....