Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

cheapest options for Internet/TV?

cheapest options for Internet/TV?

Old Dec 4th 2020, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheapest options for Internet/TV?

Just to say that the fibre network is expanding rapidly all over the place, so perhaps it has been put in recently in the Silves area? 16 months ago we were advised there was none in our locality but when we asked again 3 months later, there was a bit of a rush about in Meo and they came back to say that yes, we could have it, as they were just starting in our area - we believe they put ours on the system sooner than they were expecting, and we have noticed neighbours also going for it since we moved in ... Ask them specifically before you sign a contract!
Old Dec 17th 2020, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking for some advice here....

I'm going to go with Nowo - but which options do I need?

Is 120 Mbps enough for Internet? I don't use it for gaming.

I presume "Voz" means voice calls (with a landline?) And that the 9000 mins are monthly, and "RFN" within Portugal and "RFI" international?

Do I need a "móvel" option at all, if I have the "Vox" included above and wifi at home? Have GB PAYG with Three - though of course this may get cancelled next year? And if I do, I guess the 1GB is sufficient?

Many thanks!
Old Dec 17th 2020, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Having searched all the providers I can safely say that is a great deal and one I'll be enquiring about today myself.

I think others have explained but it does seem to cause confusion but a simple way to remember is that if it has an S at the end it is the speed/performance ie mbps, if there is no S at the end its the amount you can use ie mb
Its a big difference, 200mbps is a very good speed, 200mb is a very low/bad amount of usage.
​Also remember it's the maximum expected speed but can be dramatically less and still considered OK by providers.

Last edited by Pilotabroad; Dec 17th 2020 at 9:32 am.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

So which would you go for? Is 120 MBps very slow?
Old Dec 17th 2020, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Not at all, it's fast... If you actually get that speed.
Will stream movies, surf Internet, play music all at the same time, if 120 is achieved at your router.
I achieve only 35mbps on my mobile phone and I connect my ipad and TV to it with no problems, using all 3 at the same time.

Personally I'm going to visit the store with a local friend to prevent any miscommunication with the intention of paying the extra 2.50 for the 200mgbs if they agree to reduce to the cheaper plan if only 120mbps or less is achieved once connected.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot get fibre optic cable in the countryside where I live. 120 mbps would be wonderful but I get only 5 Mbps over the old-fashioned copper wires and that is good enough for watching BBC iPlayer, Sky, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. It's a steady 5 Mbps which is important and there is no download limit.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suiko
Actually I would suggest visiting a Nowo store as the in store version of the offer was slightly better for dome reason.

Sadly they don't cover my address so it's a non starter for me.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

And even if they (nowo) do cover your address and all the systems on line say you can use the service, once the technician turns up and says nao, that's it, over to meo at almost double the cost.

It happened to me in our last address...
Old Dec 17th 2020, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

They do cover the address, yes - they're already supplying it.