Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Channels on MEO Disappeared

Channels on MEO Disappeared

Old Apr 19th 2021, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Channels on MEO Disappeared

Not sure why this has happened but two BBC channels, CNBC and even a couple of the Stingray music channels have suddenly disappeared from my TV. I tried to call MEO but was given a technical support number to ring which only seems to have some sort of recorded message in Portuguese. I also tried to post something on the MEO forum but that link seems to be broken as I can't even access the page. This is quite frustrating. Is it normal?
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Channels on MEO Disappeared

Originally Posted by sportpix
Not sure why this has happened but two BBC channels, CNBC and even a couple of the Stingray music channels have suddenly disappeared from my TV. I tried to call MEO but was given a technical support number to ring which only seems to have some sort of recorded message in Portuguese. I also tried to post something on the MEO forum but that link seems to be broken as I can't even access the page. This is quite frustrating. Is it normal?
You can send MEO a message on their website. They usually respond in a couple of days. Which 2BBC channels did you lose?
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
You can send MEO a message on their website. They usually respond in a couple of days. Which 2BBC channels did you lose?
Thanks BB. BBC news and the other one that has their drama series’
Old Apr 19th 2021, 3:37 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Happened to me too, but a few months ago, I think MEO changed the channels in the basic package and the BBC channels are no longer included. An easy way to get them back is to put a splitter on the cable and take a feed from it, before it goes into the MEO box, and plug that feed directly into the TV aerial socket, then do a channel search and the BBC channels should be there
Old Apr 20th 2021, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cfs
Happened to me too, but a few months ago, I think MEO changed the channels in the basic package and the BBC channels are no longer included. An easy way to get them back is to put a splitter on the cable and take a feed from it, before it goes into the MEO box, and plug that feed directly into the TV aerial socket, then do a channel search and the BBC channels should be there
We still have BBC world news and BBC Entertainment, on channels 213 and 214 respectively. When we first got MEO fibre set up 12 months + ago we were worried that these were missing so went to the MEO shop and chatted to our friendly vendor there and I forget exactly how we did it but it was basically typing in the channel number on the Remote Control and up it popped - but of course you had to know the number to invite the machine to search for it. We do like the BBC World News availability, but the Entertainment has waned a bit, now we have seen the repeats or repeats but still nice to have access to
Old Apr 20th 2021, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
We still have BBC world news and BBC Entertainment, on channels 213 and 214 respectively. When we first got MEO fibre set up 12 months + ago we were worried that these were missing so went to the MEO shop and chatted to our friendly vendor there and I forget exactly how we did it but it was basically typing in the channel number on the Remote Control and up it popped - but of course you had to know the number to invite the machine to search for it. We do like the BBC World News availability, but the Entertainment has waned a bit, now we have seen the repeats or repeats but still nice to have access to
A nice man called me from Meo just after I walked off the golf course this afternoon and asked what the problem was. I told him I'd lots channels and he said something about fixing it and to try it again after 20 minutes or so. I told him it would be another couple of hours until I got home and having just arrived I've checked the system and sadly have to report no change. I too like the BBC News - Sky seems to be 90 percent UK news while CNN is about 90 percent US news. I think the BBC gives a more balanced amount of international news. I now have a message on my (Meo) mobile saying someone will visit me at 3pm next Wednesday. Typically this has clashed with my return to the Social Security junta to sort this S1 form out. Replying to the text does not work so it looks like I need to visit the shop.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

SportP - did you try the Remote Control trick - just tapping in 213 to see if it comes back - sometimes when Meo router/box does its uploads it might skip visible channels it doesn't think are popular (with the Portuguese anyway) - or at least that is what the guy in the shop said, but then I wonder if he kissed the Blarney stone on his travels? Or turn off the router and box at the mains for a couple of minutes and then let it reload, till all the flashing lights come back to the one steady light, start up the TV and see if 213 works then?
Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SportP - did you try the Remote Control trick - just tapping in 213 to see if it comes back - sometimes when Meo router/box does its uploads it might skip visible channels it doesn't think are popular (with the Portuguese anyway) - or at least that is what the guy in the shop said, but then I wonder if he kissed the Blarney stone on his travels? Or turn off the router and box at the mains for a couple of minutes and then let it reload, till all the flashing lights come back to the one steady light, start up the TV and see if 213 works then?
Thanks RA, I did try that but to no effect so I went down to the MEO shop just now to try to sort it out. The nice (actually miserable) lady who would clearly rather be working somewhere else took my phone and connected me with the tech support people and a nice man informed me that I was given an extra bonus of maybe 50 Channels over the normal amount when I subscribed in January and which would disappear after three months. To be honest I don’t remember a word of this but several bottles of local red wine 🍷 and vodka at 12 euro per litre from the new booze shop in Lagos have been consumed since then, which may have clouded my memory. Anyway the upshot of this is that I now have to pay another 5 euro per month to get back what I’ve been watching since January. I learn something new every day, but I usually like to be kissed when I’m being ...
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sportpix
Thanks RA, I did try that but to no effect so I went down to the MEO shop just now to try to sort it out. The nice (actually miserable) lady who would clearly rather be working somewhere else took my phone and connected me with the tech support people and a nice man informed me that I was given an extra bonus of maybe 50 Channels over the normal amount when I subscribed in January and which would disappear after three months. To be honest I don’t remember a word of this but several bottles of local red wine 🍷 and vodka at 12 euro per litre from the new booze shop in Lagos have been consumed since then, which may have clouded my memory. Anyway the upshot of this is that I now have to pay another 5 euro per month to get back what I’ve been watching since January. I learn something new every day, but I usually like to be kissed when I’m being ...
Well - it is enough to make you take to the bottle! Really? When we got the package those BBC channels were definitely included or we wouldn't have gone for that package - and at that time it was the "basic" list, and includes for instance EuroSport 1 and 2 (not the paying ones) as well as all the news channels and free Fox, and other movies/series channels. Hey ho - I wonder if it was listed in your small print on the contract that this was a special offer for 3 months??
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Well - it is enough to make you take to the bottle! Really? When we got the package those BBC channels were definitely included or we wouldn't have gone for that package - and at that time it was the "basic" list, and includes for instance EuroSport 1 and 2 (not the paying ones) as well as all the news channels and free Fox, and other movies/series channels. Hey ho - I wonder if it was listed in your small print on the contract that this was a special offer for 3 months??
Taking to the bottle is what I’m about to do as I’ve just sat down for breakfast on my balcony after a long bike ride and loading stuff into the slow cooker and two hazmat-suited blokes have turned up with power strimmers and are making the most ungodly noise, not to mention the stink of two-stroke petrol wafting on the wind 😡. Not sure what was in my fine print but as it would have been in Portuguese it might as well have been Russian, or are they the same thing ...?
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

It just sounds like Russian!!! At least the written version is nearly understandable using "normal" script, though the verbal Portuguese might as well be in Cyrillic!

Cheers!
RA
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

It just sounds like Russian!!! At least the written version is nearly understandable using "normal" script, though the verbal Portuguese might as well be in Cyrillic!

Cheers!
RA
Lol! Love it. Having agreed to part with an extra 5 euro per month I now see I don’t have all of the channels back that I had before 😡. Will be talking to them again today ...
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Meo has terrible marketing culture; Especially those 3 month discounts or service in bold print, with higher prices thereafter in fine print.

My new neighbor wanted to shift his Meo package from his old house to his new house; MEO refused and demanded he pay out the remainder of the year at his old house, while offering a new contract for his new house so he could pay double.

Result; another customer lost.
They phone me so often to try and sell me more channels, I had to disconnect our landline.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, another shrugged shoulder response from a MEO rep. I too fell foul of the disappearing channel malarkey after a while. I cannot remember being informed of this when the sales lady sold me this wonderful package. I now no longer use it, I only wanted it originally for the Internet anyway but I have learned to read the small print in future.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Is there a way of turning off the subtitles or changing the language on them as if there is I can’t find it. In HK we have a facility called Nicam, which allows us to change the language and also change/turn off the subtitles. I tried to watch a movie last night which focused on the Japanese yakuza. So I had westerners talking Japanese with Portuguese subtitles. I had to turn it off and switch to music on YouTube. Dire Straits, Rolling Stones and The Who kept me up until almost midnight. 👍

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.