Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car now Matriculated - Best way to pay the Tolls?

Car now Matriculated - Best way to pay the Tolls?

Old May 4th 2015, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car now Matriculated - Best way to pay the Tolls?

Hi All,

Our car is now on PT plates, and we now need to find the best way to start paying for the tolls.

At the moment we are currently spending time both in PT and in the UK, and although we know we can pay the Tolls at a Portuguese ATM after 48 hrs, what happens if we use the motorway one day, and then fly back to the UK the next day?

We do have a PT Bank account, so is there any way we can pay online when we get back to the UK?
Old May 4th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car now Matriculated - Best way to pay the Tolls?

Get a via verde transponder for your car; then you can use the "green lane" on all the toll roads in Portugal as well as the A22 across the Algarve, and the tolls come out of your bank account automatically. No more waiting at the toll plazas.
You can check your account online and see exactly what you're being charged for.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.

Where do I get a transponder, and what does it cost? Also, what docs do I need to produce?
Old May 5th 2015, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Thanks for that.

Where do I get a transponder, and what does it cost? Also, what docs do I need to produce?
You can find all the details at viaverde.pt - in English. I can't see that you can get a tag online but it does tell you where you can (which includes CTT offices).
It looks as if you have to fill in a form and send it off if you don't want to apply in person.

Last edited by MikeJ; May 5th 2015 at 10:48 am.
Old May 12th 2015, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Portugal, England, Thailand, soon to be New Zealand
blownaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't use them.
Old May 12th 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of the via verde things because they don't always work....... I prefer to check the outstanding etolls online and then pay via my online banking.

As far as the non e toll, tolls, I'm never in such a hurry it a problem for me to stop and pick up a ticket of hand over a few Euros.
Old May 13th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

You can find out how much you owe for the tolls by going to:

https://www.ctt.pt/financas-e-pagame...age.language=1

Just enter your matriculation number and they will give you payment details. If you can do banking online, you can pay the toll bill from the comfort of your computer. I do it regularly but you have to wait about 2 days before the payment details are available.

Last edited by BillBullock; May 13th 2015 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
You can find out how much you owe for the tolls by going to:

https://www.ctt.pt/financas-e-pagame...age.language=1

Just enter your matriculation number and they will give you payment details. If you can do banking online, you can pay the toll bill from the comfort of your computer. I do it regularly but you have to wait about 2 days before the payment details are available.
Just out of interest are then any additional admin charges to do it that way?

If not then there doesn't seem to be a downside - unless you forget to check within 7 days, of course, when you will be hit with a penalty. Many would pay for the simplicity of the VV tag and cope with the very occasional blip.
Old May 14th 2015, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

The admin charge for payment of a toll journey after the event is 32 cents or 64 cents for a return journey.

I have registered with CTT so it's just a matter of going to

https://www.ctt.pt/fepme/app/open/pa...uest_locale=en

logging in and entering the details. Moments later you are given the Entity, Reference and amount owed. You can then go to a MB machine or pay online from your bank website.

We do very few journeys on the A22 at the moment so it's not worth getting a transponder yet.
Old May 14th 2015, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I know of 2 people living here who were both fined over 500€ for not paying the SCUTS even though they went to check frequently if they owed anything, I would suggest the little box on the windscreen!
Old May 14th 2015, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

How to buy a Via Verde Transponder

http://www.viaverde.pt/Website/Secti...5CApoioCliente

I will also add , I have had one for well over 20 years & never had any problem!

Price 25.00€'s or 27.00€'s according to your set up

When the battery get's a bit weak ,they will contact you to advise you to get it changed.

This page translates OK
Old May 14th 2015, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the transponder, and it fails to register on their system [which happens], it's not your fault. Pop it on there and drive, it's up to them to bill you.
Unless you're paranoid about the big brother aspect of it all; in that case, you really better not use highways anywhere in Europe.
There are number recognition systems everywhere now.