Car Insurance

Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

scotty_15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Car Insurance

My friend says that he will lend us his car while we are in Portugal and that we are fully insured because the vehicle carries the insurance not the driver.
Can anyone tell me if this is true?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car Insurance

Yes if its a Portuguese car with Portuguese insurance....thats how it works here!

hello to regulars on here(nomad, hot Val and lusty Lippie etc).....not been here for a while
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:19 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Yes if its a Portuguese car with Portuguese insurance....thats how it works here!

hello to regulars on here(nomad, hot Val and lusty Lippie etc).....not been here for a while
Hi Ged
Lippie has gone to pastures new
Hope you are well sweetie x
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

jsprehp has a spectacular aura aboutjsprehp has a spectacular aura aboutjsprehp has a spectacular aura about

It's my understanding that it is illegal for non residents to drive a Portuguese registered vehicle not owned by them or rented to them.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:22 pm

I thought it was ok,if you had a signed letter of permission from the owner,but not sure
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

jsprehp has a spectacular aura aboutjsprehp has a spectacular aura aboutjsprehp has a spectacular aura about

Only if you're a resident I believe
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jsprehp
Only if you're a resident I believe
you are probably right
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Hi Cleri all fine with me, and hows life in Portuguese Portugal?

On the back of the "carta verde" there is a bit to sign for "visitantes do Reino Unido e Irlanda" so Brits and Irish visitors can drive legally!(at least on Fidelidade "carta verdes".....#6 on the form next to where owner signs)

I am not a resident and I have been stopped many times by both GNR and traffic Police and not a word was said(Carta verde has not even been signed) maybe I just was lucky.... I better go sign our carta verdes today while i remember!

p.s I would guess the Police in the south are wiser to the foriengers...here its a bit of a novelty for them to stop a Scotsman

Last edited by gedscottish; Apr 8th 2008 at 12:28 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Confusing. Information provided by AFPOP is that non residents can only drive PT registered vehicle which is owned by or rented to them. Maybe it's changed recently and become more flexible.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jsprehp
Confusing. Information provided by AFPOP is that non residents can only drive PT registered vehicle which is owned by or rented to them. Maybe it's changed recently and become more flexible.
Rather that im talking s#it.....which would not be the 1st time

Certainly on the Fidelidade "carta verdes" there is a place for visitors to sign and has been for the 4 years I have been here. AFPOP? whats that?! Reliable source?! information in Portugal can vary from one place to the next
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

We have asked this question of our insurers and the response is that any driver with a valid licence is covered. Some insurers now allow you to restrict the drivers to reduce the premium so make sure it is an any driver policy first!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotty_15
My friend says that he will lend us his car while we are in Portugal and that we are fully insured because the vehicle carries the insurance not the driver.
Can anyone tell me if this is true?
Check for age criteria, as some excess may be added on collision claims while younger drivers are at the wheel.
If you an oldy like me you will be OK. ;-))
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

AFPOP is Association of Foreign Residents and Property Owners In Portugal. They issued clarification of position on their website in February 2008 which confirmed my understanding ,but don't know if anything has altered since
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

kentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nice

normally for any driver over 25 years
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kentaylor
normally for any driver over 25 years
Not all insurers stipulate an age so probably best to check with insurer/broker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.