Car Insurance

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:49 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know this is a subject that causes all kind of friction, but on the basis that you DO manage to get an insurer to insure your car for more than the normal 90 days (tourist) and is happy that you are no longer a UK resident, if its the same there as it is here in Spain your car will still not be road legal in the country of registration when the MOT runs out, and therefore not road legal in your new country of residence. I checked this out with my gestor, and although you can get a local ITV done it only proves the car is roadworthy, not that it is road legal.

So although its bending the rules, here in Spain you can be fined big time and have your car empounded for not registering when you are a resident

Im off now before the trouble starts
Cheers Mitzi, from the big time tourist!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We used to have a thread about this every week on Spain forum, but since a few people have had their cars mashed the subject has dropped from favour quite a bit. lol
Its soooo much easier to buy where you live.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
We used to have a thread about this every week on Spain forum, but since a few people have had their cars mashed the subject has dropped from favour quite a bit. lol
Its soooo much easier to buy where you live.
I fully intend to get a local car, but I could do with the 6 months to adjust, learn the lingo a bit and get to know who the crooks are. I have already had 1 guy try to sell me a car and I wasnt even looking!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:11 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
I fully intend to get a local car, but I could do with the 6 months to adjust, learn the lingo a bit and get to know who the crooks are. I have already had 1 guy try to sell me a car and I wasnt even looking!
Didn't look like George Cole, did he?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:14 pm
---------

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Didn't look like George Cole, did he?
No but a bit like David Jason!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:29 am
Just Joined

siobhanwf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike
jdr is wrong.

It is possible to arrange cover for your UK registered vehicle in Portugal.

Contact Lloyd & Whyte for further information.

Phone: 289 36 05 78 or 281 32 58 42
There is an ad weekly in THE NEWS which covers UK registered cars in Spain and Portugal....www.abbeygate.com Portugal tel : 211 451 087
Spain 34 952 893 380

But watch out....the GNR are having a field day with UK registered cars!!!!! I know of 3 that have been impounded recently.

Got stopped myself and had a lecture (unfortunaltely the guy spoke really good English!!) Fortunatley I was going through the process of registering here so no fine....no impound.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siobhanwf
There is an ad weekly in THE NEWS which covers UK registered cars in Spain and Portugal....
Yeah right , they advertise and take your money, but the car has to be taxed, insured and mot`d in the country of registration to be LEGAL anywhere in Europe, and as soon as you are over the residency time limit you need to register it to the country you are in.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:11 pm
---------

There is an ad weekly in THE NEWS which covers UK registered cars in Spain and Portugal....www.abbeygate.com Portugal tel : 211 451 087
Spain 34 952 893 380

But watch out....the GNR are having a field day with UK registered cars!!!!! I know of 3 that have been impounded recently.

Got stopped myself and had a lecture (unfortunaltely the guy spoke really good English!!) Fortunatley I was going through the process of registering here so no fine....no impound.
Sorry for asking but is it illegal to drive a UK car in PT? Because all I have been reading is posts like yours saying how many cars have been impounded.
Surely there must be certain conditions under which one can drive for a short period. I,ve been here for 8 weeks and all I am reading is "Be careful"!
Whereabouts are you in PT btw?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Sorry for asking but is it illegal to drive a UK car in PT? Because all I have been reading is posts like yours saying how many cars have been impounded.
Surely there must be certain conditions under which one can drive for a short period. I,ve been here for 8 weeks and all I am reading is "Be careful"!
It depends on your UK insurance, they usually cover as tourist only.
If you live there then you are expected when the residence law kicks in to re-register you car to local plates ,mot, and insurance.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Live near Rio Maior. West of Caldas da Rainha
Was stopped on A8 near Obidos junction northbound.

I understand that 6 months is the limit...after that you should register in Portugal.

One of the documents needed takes about 4 months to get hold of... will look out the nameand post it later.

We used a solicitor in Alcobaca to get through the whole legal system....MONEY WELL SPENT. Happy to pass his name on hould anyone require it.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:11 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Car Insurance

Are there any websites in Portugal that enable you to do on-line comparisons for insurance in general and car insurance in particular?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Are there any websites in Portugal that enable you to do on-line comparisons for insurance in general and car insurance in particular?
Have looked but not found any. Individual sites are available but all in Portuguese. Found a big difference in insurance prices quoted. Using the broker my solicitor suggested I made a saving of €250 euros on one car and €325 on the second.
Only one insurance company I found would give NCB (called historica here) and that was Zurich though the broker.
Our insurance also covered roadside assistance (like AA/RAC coverage) and car replacement
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:50 am
C'est la vie

Have looked but not found any. Individual sites are available but all in Portuguese. Found a big difference in insurance prices quoted. Using the broker my solicitor suggested I made a saving of €250 euros on one car and €325 on the second.
Only one insurance company I found would give NCB (called historica here) and that was Zurich though the broker.
Our insurance also covered roadside assistance (like AA/RAC coverage) and car replacement

Thanks Siobhan, I had also made a search but couldn't come up with anything.

I few weeks back I did contact one of the insurance companies and ask for a quote. All I got was the reply that they can only do this for people in Portugal despite my having explained that I was moving there soon and was merely trying to get some idea of prices.

Perhaps we should start a new thread where people can give an idea of how much insurers have charged so we can make our own comparisons.

By the way, can anyone tell me where to find a broker in Tavira?. I know there is a Lloyd and White branch but are there any others?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:55 am
---------

Thanks Siobhan, I had also made a search but couldn't come up with anything.

I few weeks back I did contact one of the insurance companies and ask for a quote. All I got was the reply that they can only do this for people in Portugal despite my having explained that I was moving there soon and was merely trying to get some idea of prices.

Perhaps we should start a new thread where people can give an idea of how much insurers have charged so we can make our own comparisons.

By the way, can anyone tell me where to find a broker in Tavira?. I know there is a Lloyd and White branch but are there any others?
You up early again?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:46 am
C'est la vie

You up early again?

You call 0850 early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.