Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car Breakdown Cover

Car Breakdown Cover

Old Aug 20th 2018, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Breakdown Cover

I have a UK plated 2005 VW Golf and drive to Algarve usually in April and come back with it within 6 months which satisfies the breakdown cover with my UK insurer (Nationwide). However this year I am a few days outside the 6 month period so aside from the 'cannot have a car more than 6 months rule in Portugal' which I'm not too worried about, what concerns me more is not having breakdown cover for the return trip back to the UK through Portugal and Spain (Santander). Does anyone have experience of successfully obtaining breakdown cover / country wide recovery (at what cost/what company?) to a local garage of a UK reg car as a single trip ie Algarve to Santander? What I don't want is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere and no-one to call! Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Breakdown Cover

Originally Posted by Woodstore
I have a UK plated 2005 VW Golf and drive to Algarve usually in April and come back with it within 6 months which satisfies the breakdown cover with my UK insurer (Nationwide). However this year I am a few days outside the 6 month period so aside from the 'cannot have a car more than 6 months rule in Portugal' which I'm not too worried about, what concerns me more is not having breakdown cover for the return trip back to the UK through Portugal and Spain (Santander). Does anyone have experience of successfully obtaining breakdown cover / country wide recovery (at what cost/what company?) to a local garage of a UK reg car as a single trip ie Algarve to Santander? What I don't want is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere and no-one to call! Thanks.
I seem to recall companies such as Green Flag do short term European breakdown cover. Not sure if it can be "bolted-on" to existing policy but worthwhile having a look
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried lots of UK insurers and they all say the journey has to start and end in the UK and some state it has be a continuous planned trip up to 6 months and no more. Just wondering if there are good national recovery companies that folks know about in Portugal and Spain that one could rely on to get the car to a local garage / other solutions to address this single trip breakdown risk?
Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

The roadside recovery service in Portugal is second to none and is provided free if you have Portuguese vehicle insurance. If not then Europ Assistance have a service you can buy in to as do the ACP

Last edited by MrBife; Aug 21st 2018 at 8:20 am.