Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Canadian Buying Winter Place in Portugal

Canadian Buying Winter Place in Portugal

Old Sep 6th 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Ronmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Buying Winter Place in Portugal

My wife and I live in Canada and have a winter place in Dunedin Florida but, with the recent Politcal Hell the Trump's are offering up we're, mostly me, are looking to sell and settle in Portugal or southern Spain. ... In FL there are two types of mobile home parks, which is what we're thinking. 1) Rental Parks, you buy the unit a little cheaper then pay a monthly rent, usually $500/600 US. per-month. 2) Deed/Co-op Park, where you pay a little more for the unit but it can come with the share or deed so, you are part owner of the part. These make the 'monthly' much more afforable, around $150-per month and will cover heated pool, clubhouse, lawn maintenence, etc. Though you pay taxes to the city in a co-op park, (another $50-per month). ... I have no problem swinging $200-per month but, $500/600 is too much. ...
My question is. ... Is it the same in Portugal and Spain buying into a mobil, 55+ park? ... Is so, can anyone direct me towards a deed/co-op style park?
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:14 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Buying Winter Place in Portugal

Originally Posted by Ronmac
My wife and I live in Canada and have a winter place in Dunedin Florida but, with the recent Politcal Hell the Trump's are offering up we're, mostly me, are looking to sell and settle in Portugal or southern Spain. ... In FL there are two types of mobile home parks, which is what we're thinking. 1) Rental Parks, you buy the unit a little cheaper then pay a monthly rent, usually $500/600 US. per-month. 2) Deed/Co-op Park, where you pay a little more for the unit but it can come with the share or deed so, you are part owner of the part. These make the 'monthly' much more afforable, around $150-per month and will cover heated pool, clubhouse, lawn maintenence, etc. Though you pay taxes to the city in a co-op park, (another $50-per month). ... I have no problem swinging $200-per month but, $500/600 is too much. ...
My question is. ... Is it the same in Portugal and Spain buying into a mobil, 55+ park? ... Is so, can anyone direct me towards a deed/co-op style park?
Camping Albufeira has long term rentals in static homes but I think no longer allows ownership.
I am not sure that t anything such as you are looking for exists in Portugal..
Old Sep 7th 2018, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Noticed this coming up at the Place in the Sun Exhibition in Birmingham.

www.caravansinthesun.com

Could give them a try and get some info.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Very popular in the UK. My daughter and I were going 50/50 on one in Monmouth but found that you do not get a title deed for static homes nor can you get a home loan from a bank. They are treated as caravans. A £ 85k loan repayment over 4 years is far to much.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading between the lines here so could well be wrong but your post makes me wonder if you've considered the requirements for residency etc?

If not, you might like to take a look at the Government website at sef.pt & it has an English language option.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

On a Canadian passport you can only stay in the Schengen area for 90 days in a 180 day period. Maybe you have a British passport? Europe can also get cold in winter so maybe you would be better off looking at some where a bit further south such as Crete or Malta?
Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:29 am
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
On a Canadian passport you can only stay in the Schengen area for 90 days in a 180 day period. Maybe you have a British passport? Europe can also get cold in winter so maybe you would be better off looking at some where a bit further south such as Crete or Malta?
Are they really that much warmer than southern Portugal or southern Spain in winter?