Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Camara residency certificate 90 days or under?

Camara residency certificate 90 days or under?

Old Sep 16th 2020, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Camara residency certificate 90 days or under?

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Bons - but Eric is entirely correct. You really cannot chose the Freguesia and/or Camara as you have to apply in the place where your address in Portugal is. Of course if you are only renting to begin with, you may then move again (re-registering of course in the new Freguesia/Camara!) but I think you will find that since July when cfs started his run-around, things have eased a bit in most areas for personal contact and ease of access. Probably avoid the hot-spots for Covid and otherwise you should be fine. And the Embassy will help if you get stuck ...
We are coming to rent and then to look at properties in our price range to buy, so there is no need to go to an area where a Camara has proved to be difficult is my point. Anything can happen when we get there, I know that. I quite fancy a winter on the Algarve. We'll be looking at properties in the northern Algarve or Aljento, so we will be we well placed to view. If we have to go further north, so be it. Surely we can move around the country when we have secured residency.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cfs
Campos, to get the Atestado I had to send the Junta de Freguesia an email and they sent me the form by email and an appointment time. I had to take my passport and copies of the Citizen's Card of 2 Portuguese residents who lived in the same municipality. I was staying in an Airbnb and I got the owner and her husband to do it. They gave me photocopies of their cards and signed the form for me, so I did not have to physically take the owner and her husband to the appointment. In the end I never used it as by the time I got an appointment I had signed a long term rental agreement in a different municipality and from that point on I just used the rental agreement.

My initial problem with the Atestado was that my local Junta was closed because of COVID. But there was a note on the door telling you the closest one that is open and that is dealing with lots of different freguesias at the same time. When I went there the first time I never saw the note on the door so I contacted CNAIM by email (https://www.acm.gov.pt/pt/-/cnai-cen...o-ao-imigrante) who are an organisation that helps foreigners with immigration and they gave me all the correct details of who to email at the Junta.
muito thanks.
So the long term rental obviates the need for the attestado... (?)
I have a 5 and half month rental initially, extendable through next spring. Wonder if this satisfies the 'long-term' ...

Last edited by campos; Sep 16th 2020 at 12:34 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:26 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Of course, but I'm not going to piut myself at the mercy of a Camara who will make it difficult when time is of the essence am I?
I still get the impression you might be looking at this through the wrong lens and seeing it as asking for future permission to reside, as opposed to exercising a right and subsequently having it acknowledged and registered that you have done so. Maybe that's a nuance too far under the prevailing circumstances, though.

On more solid assumptions, when the British Embassy did their Q & A, did they not categorically state that a) you can register within 90 days, regardless of what any Câmara says to the contrary* b) you may arrive any time up to the very end of the transition period and be covered under the Withdrawal Agreement provisions and c) you have until 30th June (at least? ) to effect your registration? Under those circumstances, why are you still regarding time of the essence, especially given your current estimates of when you'll be arriving?

(* Not that you'd necessarily want to get into any argy-bargy right off with a Câmara that told you otherwise, given that according to the Embassy c) applies)

As has been said several times before, there are various bodies that will assist in the case of difficulty - cfs, for example, has resorted to several already, having referred various of his difficulties to the SEF, to the British Embassy and to an organisation that exists specifically to support and assist migrants. There are one or two others besides.

No, I can see you don't want to head straight for an area where you have been told the local authority is unhelpful but don't let that entirely run your decisions. You now have the assurances you were looking for and you'd far better advised picking an area to set up your initial residence on the basis of the most convenient location from which to do the exploring which suits you, than to do it on the basis of who's allegedly going to issue you a certificate most quickly. Having to wait 90 days for a bit of paper is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, as long as it's issued in the end.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 3:53 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding what I said about contacting the British Embassy, they emailed me this afternoon and said thanks for my message and advised me to read their website about "Living In Portugal" as there was lots of information there and hoped that the email had helped me. The reply came from the Consular Contact Centre in London. So as far as I know they didn't do anything to help me even though they said they would in that Facebook broadcast.

Campos: from what I understand it depends on who you are dealing with. But I believe that most places will accept the long-term rental agreement
Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I still get the impression you might be looking at this through the wrong lens and seeing it as asking for future permission to reside, as opposed to exercising a right and subsequently having it acknowledged and registered that you have done so. Maybe that's a nuance too far under the prevailing circumstances, though.

On more solid assumptions, when the British Embassy did their Q & A, did they not categorically state that a) you can register within 90 days, regardless of what any Câmara says to the contrary* b) you may arrive any time up to the very end of the transition period and be covered under the Withdrawal Agreement provisions and c) you have until 30th June (at least? ) to effect your registration? Under those circumstances, why are you still regarding time of the essence, especially given your current estimates of when you'll be arriving?

(* Not that you'd necessarily want to get into any argy-bargy right off with a Câmara that told you otherwise, given that according to the Embassy c) applies)

As has been said several times before, there are various bodies that will assist in the case of difficulty - cfs, for example, has resorted to several already, having referred various of his difficulties to the SEF, to the British Embassy and to an organisation that exists specifically to support and assist migrants. There are one or two others besides.

No, I can see you don't want to head straight for an area where you have been told the local authority is unhelpful but don't let that entirely run your decisions. You now have the assurances you were looking for and you'd far better advised picking an area to set up your initial residence on the basis of the most convenient location from which to do the exploring which suits you, than to do it on the basis of who's allegedly going to issue you a certificate most quickly. Having to wait 90 days for a bit of paper is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, as long as it's issued in the end.

Once in with residency we can start to look for an area/place that we like. Ideally, I would love to live in Praia de Luz or Praia de Roche, that ain't going to happen on our budget. We will rent then take our time to find a place. I loved Figueira de Foz, but I've heard properties get very damp there in winter, pllus one time we were in 30 degrees one day and wearing a fleece the next, because of the sea fog.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
Regarding what I said about contacting the British Embassy, they emailed me this afternoon and said thanks for my message and advised me to read their website about "Living In Portugal" as there was lots of information there and hoped that the email had helped me. The reply came from the Consular Contact Centre in London. So as far as I know they didn't do anything to help me even though they said they would in that Facebook broadcast.

Campos: from what I understand it depends on who you are dealing with. But I believe that most places will accept the long-term rental agreement
That's disappointing, I wondered if that would happen. Did you write back and tell them it was no help at all?
Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:35 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

No, I just said thanks for their reply and told them I now had the certificate. I don't think anyone in Portugal even saw my message. I used the "Contact Us" button on the Facebook page but that redirected me to the FCDO site and it was from there that I contacted them. During that Facebook broadcast they gave out an email address at one point for the Consulate, with the benefit of hindsight that is probably a better option as you know it's going direct to Portugal. The email address was: [email protected]
Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
No, I just said thanks for their reply and told them I now had the certificate. I don't think anyone in Portugal even saw my message. I used the "Contact Us" button on the Facebook page but that redirected me to the FCDO site and it was from there that I contacted them. During that Facebook broadcast they gave out an email address at one point for the Consulate, with the benefit of hindsight that is probably a better option as you know it's going direct to Portugal. The email address was: [email protected]
Probably the best way. I've made a note of the email address, thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 8:45 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Once in with residency we can start to look for an area/place that we like.
You don't have to put everything on hold if there's a delay with issuing the residence registration certificate - it won't be needed for any part of a property purchase if you find something you like in the interim.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You don't have to put everything on hold if there's a delay with issuing the residence registration certificate - it won't be needed for any part of a property purchase if you find something you like in the interim.
If we manage to get there, and rent somehwere, it will be heaven to just take some time and travel around. We love Coimbra and Tomar is nice. I can't wait and I'm getting excited, but I must control myself. The research is going well and it might go on longer. It might save the world, but it would keep us in the UK. Bah.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update: I got my residency certificate processed earlier today at Balcao in Portimao. Sent an email asking for an appointment on Wednesday. They called me yesterday and I made the appointment for today.
Just showed passport and non-resident NIF certificate which I'd received when I lived in Italy.. Didn't even ask to see my rental agreement, just had me write it down on a piece of paper for her to type in. Only asked about work or retirement, didn't have to show anything.
Paid €15 and collect certificate in a few days when they call me. This last bit seems inconsistent with others here who've said they walked out with their certificate. The employee printed it out and she showed it to me but said I will have to collect a bit later. Go figure.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Just an update: I got my residency certificate processed earlier today at Balcao in Portimao. Sent an email asking for an appointment on Wednesday. They called me yesterday and I made the appointment for today.
Just showed passport and non-resident NIF certificate which I'd received when I lived in Italy.. Didn't even ask to see my rental agreement, just had me write it down on a piece of paper for her to type in. Only asked about work or retirement, didn't have to show anything.
Paid €15 and collect certificate in a few days when they call me. This last bit seems inconsistent with others here who've said they walked out with their certificate. The employee printed it out and she showed it to me but said I will have to collect a bit later. Go figure.
Same with us, in Tavira a few years ago, but they explained that the mayor had to sign it and he would do it later, hence the delay.
Old Nov 28th 2020, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Olhão Câmara issued the certificate straight from the printer, digitally signed by the Presidente.
Old Nov 28th 2020, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine in Olhao was issued same day, and yes, with digital signature (had to check that!) But then they didn't require the 90 days either.

Definitely wouldn't choose Praia de Luz or Rocha personally. Don't know what your budget is, but you might find something a bit up into the hills, and I'm sure it would be easier on the Alentejo side. I saw one place (in Algarve) that was really nice, and half the price of anything else I've seen (ruins apart) - currently 9 km on a rough track over the hills, though. Of course if they ever do surface that track you'd be in luck!