Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying a Property

Buying a Property

Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sailfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Property

Done a search but could not find anything.

Can anyone describe the purchase formalities please.

eg Compared to UK do we still instruct a building survey how is it different from UK where they usually only confirm property value for mortgage. What does a Portuguese property survey cover please.

Again - Lawyer does a Portuguese Lawyer acting for buyer confirm good title, do searches, advise on any future developments local to property or just check sale contract.

Is the whole building insured by the property management company or do we need insurance or effectively contents only?

Any info appreciated.

This is a complete new venture but I do feel a complete numpty!!

Thanks

Last edited by Sailfree; Jan 29th 2016 at 11:22 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Property

I've only lived here for less than 5 years but in that time have never come across a proper surveyor. I'm not suggesting there aren't any but if there are, I've never seen or heard of one and everyone I know who has bought has paid for a builder to look the property over instead.

The lawyer is supposed to act for the buyer who is the one who appoints & pays him but you need to be sure it's a lawyer of your choosing not one recommended by the seller or agent and he's supposed to check for things like future developments, loans on the property and who actually own the property as well as handle the appropriate paperwork.

Property management company: Will only apply if you buy an apartment in a block or similar and I assume each one differs according to their own rules so again, your lawyer would advise you.

No need to feel like a numpty........ we were all first timers once.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

We had a surveyor look at our property Sailfree (yes they are available and highly qualified)

We did it because our property stands on a hill and we had cracks around the swimming pool in the paving. You do have to remember that this is earthquake country ,we might not have had a big one since the 1700's but we do still get tiny one's which cause these cracks We needed to know how deep they were and how much work to repair. (they weren't and cost was negligible)
For most properties,especially new ones a surveyor isn't needed. It's a matter of how comfortable you feel when looking at the property. Does it look sound,is it damp etc etc.
Your Estate Agent will take you through the formalities.

You can also join the excellent AFPOP organisation which was formed to help ex-pats deal with all aspects of life in Portugal It certainly helped us 5yrs ago when we arrived. It also offers good discounts on many services.. good luck
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Sailfree is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply.

The property is an apartment built in 2010 so if Portuguese building control works it will be build to comply with the earthquake regulations.

I am a retired structural engineer that has designed structures ( mostly bridges) to resist earthquakes so I hope I would recognise anything obvious. However I will no be checking sewers and lifting manholes nor the actual calculations.

For others I would comment that earthquake design only copes with a certain level/types of earthquake.

If I need some pin money maybe I should start a survey business.

It's mostly the other aspects that I am concerned.

Property is in Nazare if anyone can recomend a lawyer as I take the point of chosimg our own.

In UK there are website to check what properties are sold for. Is there anything similar in Portugal to assist establish a value for a property?

Last edited by Sailfree; Jan 30th 2016 at 7:36 am.