Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The busys-are-about

The busys-are-about

Old May 20th 2018, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The busys-are-about

Originally Posted by DiDAN
Can you please clarify... In case you enter a roundabout on a road with two lanes and have intention to exit on 2nd+ exit you must enter from the left lane only or you can enter from the right lane but to inner circle?
Your guess is as good as mine. I have not yet found the answer anywhere.
Old May 20th 2018, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
If you are not, in fact, in reality, truthfully, actually intending to turn left - why would you ever switch on your left indicator ?

Shouldn't you just have NO indicators at all as you approach the roundabout, continue with NO indicator past the first right exit, and then indicate right if you wish to take the second exit ?
I agree. This makes sense. The problem is with the other car that has entered the roundabout from the other lane. He could be going anywhere, so you have to be prepared for anything.
Old May 20th 2018, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
If you are not, in fact, in reality, truthfully, actually intending to turn left - why would you ever switch on your left indicator ?

Shouldn't you just have NO indicators at all as you approach the roundabout, continue with NO indicator past the first right exit, and then indicate right if you wish to take the second exit ?
If you don't indicate, how is anyone supposed to guess where you might be planning to go? What if the roundabout has six exits? What would you do as you approach the 2nd exit that you will not be taking? How will someone at the 2nd exit/entrance know where you entered the roundabout to be able to guess your route?

As I said before, it's a roundabout. The concept of straight ahead only applies if you ignore the presence of the roundabout. How many SatNavs tell you to go straight ahead at a roundabout?

Originally Posted by DiDAN
Can you please clarify... In case you enter a roundabout on a road with two lanes and have intention to exit on 2nd+ exit you must enter from the left lane only or you can enter from the right lane but to inner circle?
If you're leaving at the first exit, you must enter from the right lane only. You can always take the 2nd+ exit 'correctly' if you enter from the left lane. Taking the 2nd exit 'correctly' after entering the 2-lane roundabout from the right (of 2 lanes) puts you in conflict with the car on your left as you're entering the roundabout, and even if it's a 3-lane roundabout and you want the middle one you can't know which the other car wants. Which brings us to:

Originally Posted by BillBullock
.. He could be going anywhere, so you have to be prepared for anything.
If he's on your left you won't be able to see, even if he is indicating left. A defensive driving strategy suggests that it's safest to be in the left lane at the start and then you've only the car on your right to worry about. Who, since this is Portugal, may be taking the 2nd+ exit too.

Another factor that you can't always predict is whether there will be two lanes available at your chosen exit as there were when you entered, so you always need to exit the roundabout from its rightmost lane. Otherwise you may have to go completely round the roundabout again until you get back to your chosen exit.
Old May 20th 2018, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're getting there and will soon be very clear about how we should negotiate the huge variety of roundabouts here in Portugal. The trouble is do all the other drivers agree or even bother? I fear not, so we will still have to prepare for the worst case. Only today I experienced another close encounter when a white-van-man in the inside lane of the roundabout decided to take the 9 o'clock exit and was nearly hit by 2 other cars. So much for professional drivers!

Last edited by BillBullock; May 20th 2018 at 2:08 pm.
Old May 20th 2018, 2:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The worse culprits locally seem to be French drivers who both some reason stay in the right hand lane when exiting left..
Old May 20th 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
The worse culprits locally seem to be French drivers who both some reason stay in the right hand lane when exiting left..
But do they indicate?
Old May 20th 2018, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EMR
And when they think it’s normal to enter a roundabout without giving way to traffic already on it. Maybe they have different rules in France, priorité a la droite, but I thought that went out years ago? Camper vans seem to be the worst offenders on that one, I’ve experienced it several times already this year, always French.
Old May 20th 2018, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would generally cede to a vehicle that's bigger (or more expensive!) than mine. Self-righteousness is more satisfying than having an accident and being vindicated afterwards. It also means my observations about the other driver's parentage or cranial features don't get me into trouble.
Old May 20th 2018, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I would generally cede to a vehicle that's bigger (or more expensive!) than mine. Self-righteousness is more satisfying than having an accident and being vindicated afterwards. It also means my observations about the other driver's parentage or cranial features don't get me into trouble.
I too, defensive driving is always the best policy. Nonetheless it’s still slightly irritating.
Old May 20th 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Otherwise you may have to go completely round the roundabout again until you get back to your chosen exit.
That would never happen to any of us though, would it?
Old May 20th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The worst part of it is if you go over the border to Ayamonte the Spanish roundabout rules are quite different. Stick to the right hand lane whatever your exit..
Old May 20th 2018, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The worst part of it is if you go over the border to Ayamonte the Spanish roundabout rules are quite different. Stick to the right hand lane whatever your exit..
That explains what I have observed with Spanish-registered cars around here.
Old May 21st 2018, 6:00 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If he's on your left you won't be able to see, even if he is indicating left. A defensive driving strategy suggests that it's safest to be in the left lane at the start and then you've only the car on your right to worry about. Who, since this is Portugal, may be taking the 2nd+ exit too.
Don't forget the motorcyclist who might decide to cruise up on your left if you leave a gap
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:44 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Summer 2018
https://www.algarvedailynews.com/new...ort-road-users

Remember - it's support, not revenue collection ..... Read the list, or get your wallet/purses out......
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

GOT IT!

Unless taking the first exit, indicate left as you enter the roundabout.
Then, of course, turn left at the roundabout - as mandated by the indicator - and travel clockwise.

I’ll try this now. Bye, everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.