Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

British Portuguese residents in the UK

British Portuguese residents in the UK

Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Portuguese residents in the UK

hi All
Hoping for any clarification post Brexit.
Is it understood what the position is for retired Brits that hold a British Passport, but hold a temporary Portuguese Residencia, regarding visiting the UK post Brexit.
Will it be possible to remain in the UK for more than 90 days?
Whether there is a deal or no deal by the end of March I would guess would only change the timing of the rules.
Any guidance appreciated
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:03 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Portuguese residents in the UK

I assume you're asking the question from the angle of how absences might affect your PT residency as opposed to what the UK will allow?

If so, the current position is that once registered, as long as you remain in Portugal for at least 6 months per year in total, your continuity of residence isn't affected and you can proceed to register as a permanent resident after 5 years.

There hasn't been any mention that I've seen of any intention on either side to alter that.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

hi
No my question was really about staying in the UK.
For example, living in PT for 7 months and UK for 5 months Probably Oct-April in PT and May to Sept in the UK, as an ideal situation.

In any event how will all of this be tracked? Will there be entry/exit stamps on passports in and out of the UK or Portugal
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:42 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a British citizen with a UK passport, you have a permanent right to swan in and out of that country as you please and remain for as long or short a period as you want. The only things that'll be affected are those which relate to whether you're ordinarily resident.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Thanks
I assume you refer to the NHS as an example.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 9:58 am
Polished expat

That's the sort of thing, yes (although I'm not sure exactly where we stand on that right now after all the talk of changes, rumoured or actual). There are others, of course - welfare in general, voting rights and taxation spring to mind.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
hi

In any event how will all of this be tracked? Will there be entry/exit stamps on passports in and out of the UK or Portugal

They put your passport in a scanner when you enter the UK at the airport. I'm sure all the info is stored on a computer somewhere. I've never travelled by ferry or rail but I'm sure if they don't do that now they probably will post Brexit.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
They put your passport in a scanner when you enter the UK at the airport. I'm sure all the info is stored on a computer somewhere. I've never travelled by ferry or rail but I'm sure if they don't do that now they probably will post Brexit.
The Portuguese Government has announced a third line at airports EU,Non EU and U.K. so no doubt they will scan the passport just as they do now and maybe enter a stamp!
Old Jan 19th 2019, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi
unless they open 3 uk channels the queues will be worse than before. All that time scanning the passports/etc, esp when 4 UK planes turn up within 15 mins of each other. august.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Scanning the passport isn't new so won't add any extra time. They just stick it face down on a reader and it flashes up your photo on a screen, big enough for them to view easily. I guess if there was some sort of travel alert put out for you that would flash up too.