Boring driving thread

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 7:30 am
Just Joined

carstairs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Boring driving thread

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Could not agree more....
Thanks Esurijohn and Tootlewagon,
I'm Relieved you said the Seville route, we've done this in reverse from Gib-Bayonne.
Does anybody know,approximately, what the tolls would cost from the border to junction 4 or 5 for Alvor?.....(hope they are cheaper than France tolls!).

I'm saying Alvor,..we haven't a clue really, regarding Portugal, the mrs and I are 60ish, choosing where to go along the coast for 2 weeks is for another thread I guess.
Cheers Steve.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Boring driving thread

Originally Posted by MikeJ
No toll on the A49 road in Spain. (and it's the N135 from Altura to Tavira that you need - Altura is the 2nd exit after the bridge, the road is untolled until there.

See attached leaflet on using Easytoll - it's very simple for foreign cars. Just after the bridge there is a layby in which there are automatic ticket barriers - insert your credit (not debit) card and the machine will print you a pass for 30 days. Each time you use the toll road it will debit the appropriate amount. It is about 5 or 6 euros to Loule - you may think it's worth it to avoid the N135 which is not the best of roads.
Works for us on both my credit card and my debit card although it sometimes doesn't like Kaths credit card.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carstairs
Thanks Esurijohn and Tootlewagon,
I'm Relieved you said the Seville route, we've done this in reverse from Gib-Bayonne.
Does anybody know,approximately, what the tolls would cost from the border to junction 4 or 5 for Alvor?.....(hope they are cheaper than France tolls!).

I'm saying Alvor,..we haven't a clue really, regarding Portugal, the mrs and I are 60ish, choosing where to go along the coast for 2 weeks is for another thread I guess.
Cheers Steve.
Never gone that far but less than 10 euro would be my guess. If you log on to the toll website there is a breakdown of tolls by each tolled section of road with a couple of sections not tolled.

Alvor is very beautiful we liked it a lot when we stayed there in 2003
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Attached map has toll charges and the free bits marked.

http://www.albufeira.com/_img/info/A...olls%20Map.pdf

Just up the sectors.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

robcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Finally just to confirm, do you stop to register for easy toll at Villa Real or Monte Gordo?
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We drove down from Rochdale in September last year and I suggest that you look at the following website which is very informative.

Driving to Portugal

We took the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen where we spent 3 nights then down to Bayonne for 1 night then 2 nights in Salamanca (well worth visiting).

Going back, we travelled up through Spain going through the tunnel in the Pyrenees then onto Millow to see the bridge in the sky then up the eastern side of France taking the ferry back to Hull. Did some 3,687.7 miles in total.

The drive down was 1443.7 and back we clocked 1817.

Kind regards

John
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robcarolyn
Finally just to confirm, do you stop to register for easy toll at Villa Real or Monte Gordo?
Neither- you just stay on the (A22) motorway, after crossing the bridge from Spain, and the signs will guide you to the toll booth marked "estrangeiros".

Just put your UK credit card in the machine, take the slip of paper, and continue on your way. Couldn't be easier....
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeJ
No toll on the A49 road in Spain. (and it's the N135 from Altura to Tavira that you need - Altura is the 2nd exit after the bridge, the road is untolled until there.

See attached leaflet on using Easytoll - it's very simple for foreign cars. Just after the bridge there is a layby in which there are automatic ticket barriers - insert your credit (not debit) card and the machine will print you a pass for 30 days. Each time you use the toll road it will debit the appropriate amount. It is about 5 or 6 euros to Loule - you may think it's worth it to avoid the N135 which is not the best of roads.
The leaflet mentions "toll card" which has various prices and lasts for about 6 months, which is handy if you are here for more that 30 days. The only problem is that the post offices have run out of them and don't know when they are getting more in
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robcarolyn
Just after the bridge it is in the municipality of Castro Marim at a illiage called Monte Fransisco. You can't miss it a large parking area full of police cars.