Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Best rout to Algarve from Biarritz.

Best rout to Algarve from Biarritz.

Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:01 pm
Banned

cardew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best rout to Algarve from Biarritz.

I'm driving to the Algarve, Val do Lobo area, from friends who live near Biarritz.

Multimap suggests a couple of routes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way?

By best I mean the route with the most motorway, even if there are tolls.

Thank you.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best rout to Algarve from Biarritz.

If you wish to pay the tolls then come via Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Lisbon.
Personally I would come Burgos, Madrid, Merida, Seville, Huelva. On paper this is about an hour and a half longer but as the roads in Spain are dual carriageway and are long, straight and empty then there is only a difference of about half an hour and the scenery is better and a better choice of roadside stops, plus a saving of about 40 euros on tolls. All a matter of personal choice.

Last edited by brodev; Nov 12th 2007 at 9:24 am.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:49 am
Banned

Thank you for this.

What is the E 803 like as a road?

It seems to offer an alternative route to Seville after taking the E80 through
Valladolid.

Also, is there a good ring road around Madrid?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I have not driven the E803 for 10 years. If I remember correctly it was single carriageway. There are a couple of ring roads round Madrid including a toll road which I don't take as I KNOW the alternative, But I would suggest that you do. I would also suggest the toll road at the France/Spain border probably staying on it to Burgos as the alternative is single.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:02 am
Banned

Thanks for that.

I will go via Madrid as you suggest.

A final query: the E5 via Cordoba to Seville looks to be a fast motorway, whereas the Merida Seville road will still involve part of the E803 as I read it.

Is the E5 an acceptable alternative?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

You are correct E5 via Cordoba is better. I wasn't thinking when I put Merida. I don't know why. Probably a senior moment.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:34 am
Banned

Thank you for that.

Senior moments...I know them well.