Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

battery restoration

battery restoration

Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default battery restoration

Does anyone know of a battery shop in lower Alentjo or Algarve that restores / rejuvenates lead acid batteries?

I had this done recently in Amsterdam to a boat battery. It was accidental actually, I had the old battery taken to the shop for me and they fixed it instead of selling me a new one.

I'm impressed [not easily achieved].

Now my 8 year old 120AH tractor battery is about to give out and I'd like to give the technique another try if there's anyone around here that does it.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:15 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: battery restoration

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Does anyone know of a battery shop in lower Alentjo or Algarve that restores / rejuvenates lead acid batteries?

I had this done recently in Amsterdam to a boat battery. It was accidental actually, I had the old battery taken to the shop for me and they fixed it instead of selling me a new one.

Now my 8 year old 120AH tractor battery is about to give out and I'd like to give the technique another try if there's anyone around here that does it.
I don't know anywhere - but if it's possible , I'd think someone will do it. I'll ask a few of the locals if I get the chance - they all have tractors or diggers. However, the last replacement I saw was an all-plastic bodied heavy-duty job similar to a car battery.

When you say "restore" to you mean re-plate or some kind of chemical treatment? Re-plating used to be possible when batteries had tops sealed by pitch, but I doubt it is on the newer-bodied plastic batteries. Equally, opening them up is dangerous due to the gases, so not everyone will attempt it and, in this day and age, you might find it hard to arrange it.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what he did exactly; these were regular modern car batteries, around 8 years old.
The Amsterdam shop is long established and has a very good reputation; that was why I had my batteries taken there. I wanted them checked, charged, and if necessary replaced.
I had no idea that repair was an option.
Apparently they were flushed with new acid, and I assume an equalization charge applied. I didn't talk to the shop personally, my helper took them and brought them back before I got there to start my work.

I use the 2x 60 AH batteries to start a 6 liter diesel ship engine that is supposed to have batteries twice that size. The renovated batteries had plenty of juice.

Of course I don't know how long that will last.

Anyway, I'd do the same with my tractor battery if anyone here does the job.
With all the off grid systems and skin-flint machine owners, I thought if it can be done it must be getting done.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:22 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

With all the off grid systems and skin-flint machine owners, I thought if it can be done it must be getting done.

I'll ask around - but you might be better off with the expats..... the skinflint/laziness ratio may be important!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of articles on the Internet on how to do it - I don't recommend any of them !!!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

You could give these guys a shout!

ALGARbaterias !

They may be able to point you in the right direction.

I also had a look in the Huelva area but nothing came up.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I sent them a mail but they're 100km from me.
Their website only has a page about recycling old car batteries for the material.