Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Barclays Tavira Closing

Barclays Tavira Closing

Old Dec 17th 2014, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice
Default Re: Barclays Tavira Closing

Indeed fingers crossed. Thanks John - will await to hear of your progress . . . Saz
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice
Smile Re: Barclays Tavira Closing

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Hi All

Had a letter today from Barclays with comments like "strategic upward shift in our service model" "premium value proposition", "more efficient and to reach out our customers in more suitable manner", "streamlining some of our services where your current account is". (sorry about some of the English comments but copied it exactly).

At the end of the day, closing the Tavira branch and downsizing.

The alternative, seem's to be Faro (some hope) so now looking for a new bank in Tavira. Any recommendations?

Kind regards

John
We use Montepio in Tavira. The website is okay - much the same as any other bank really. Just use Google translate if you're not sure about the Portuguese language. Google is far from perfect, but easy enough to make a reasonable guess as to the meaning of the translation!

The manager speaks good English and most of the staff can understand it. The charges are reasonable, free if you have over 3K euros in the account.
Hope that helps!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

John, don't think we're paying that much, more like €12 I think. There was a thread here recently on BES charges, you may wish to do a search but I recall it was saying it's about €6.50 if you have standing orders, that's what the website seems to indicate. Best to pop into the bank and have a chat, they all speak perfect English and you have your own account manager who you can actually talk to. We are with them more by accident than design but have no regrets so far. I did mention their IPad app, it is seriously good.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nettienut
We use Montepio in Tavira. The website is okay - much the same as any other bank really. Just use Google translate if you're not sure about the Portuguese language. ....elps!
Or alternatively you could just click on the Union Jack near the top right and have Montepio's site in English!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

flowerblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

I use BPI. Their online service is both in English and Portuguese.
Although the English is not as good as the Portuguese version, you can still manage to make transfers, check your statements and the basics you would do with an online account.

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Hi All

Thanks for the info so far. We need a bank with a good online service in English.

Kind regards

John
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

I also received the Barclays letter re moving my account from Tavira to Faro, but it doesn't seem to be a big problem for me as most of my transactions are done online or via Multibanco ATM's.

Why is this move such a big deal??
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Convenience is the word. We also pay by direct debits and use the website to pay our IMI but at the end of our visits we tend to put spare euro's into the bank or pay in 1000 or so for ongoing bills. Having to go to Faro to do this is just inconvenient.

Yes, I know that I can transfer via one of the money sites such as Forex but whilst they were in Tavira I did not have to do so and do not want to start.

John
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I walk past my bank all the time; haven't been inside for years.
But it's nice to know I could if I want to.