Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

automatic time signal

automatic time signal

Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default automatic time signal

So here's a curious observation;
The clock in my car sets itself to an external signal. As far as I know, it can't be disabled except by removing the car radio [found out by removing my car radio].
So the time is correct on the west coast, it's correct in Lisboa, it changes time zone when I cross into Spain and stays correct as I drive through Europe.

But when I travel to the southern Algarve, my clock always resets to some random time between 2 and 3 hours in error.

And when I get home to the west coast, it corrects itself again [after a while].

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Has anyone got an explanation?
Old Mar 27th 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: automatic time signal

Its a longwave RF Transmission and I think the nearest source for us is somewhere in Germany. See list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock

The Algarve seems to be pretty much at the extremity of the range of the nearest transmitter. My bedside alarm clock has similar issues for the same reason unless facing one particular direction.

Last edited by MrBife; Mar 27th 2016 at 11:07 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

But in the absence of a signal, the clock time won't change; and it does, every time I go to Guia.
There must be some signal there that does it, I'm just curious if it only affects my car clock or if it happens to others as well.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I drove to Lisbon yesterday, and while there my clock switched back to winter time. When I left Lisbon, it switched to summer time again.

I guess they're behind the times there.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Sell your Delorean and buy a normal car!
Old Apr 8th 2016, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually, I think I figured it out today on the way to Guia; my clock gets the time signal from radio stations it seems, and some stations are broadcasting spurious signals. If the radio is switched off, as normal, it apparently tunes into one at random.
If I keep the radio on and tuned to antenna 3, the clock switches to the correct time and stays correct.
Anyway, it did today.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 10:00 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Actually, I think I figured it out today on the way to Guia; my clock gets the time signal from radio stations it seems, and some stations are broadcasting spurious signals. If the radio is switched off, as normal, it apparently tunes into one at random.
If I keep the radio on and tuned to antenna 3, the clock switches to the correct time and stays correct.
Anyway, it did today.
As me auld Da would say, "Automatic - all-to-buggery".......