Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Any one got a car for sale

Any one got a car for sale

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

hurstc is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Any one got a car for sale

We are looking for a car we can keep on the Silver Coast when we spend about half of our time there next year. I have noticed how expensive they are over there and to import....though I read the website in Portuguese and seemed to understand ( in my limited way) that there is going to be some sort of tax relief for individuals bringing there car in. I have decided however that since we will be driving on the wrong side of the road I may be better with a Portuguese car. Does anyone know of anyone who wants to sell a cheap runabout.?:
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

connal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any one got a car for sale

Hi, when we moved over six years ago we were able to import our UK car and my motorbike tax free. I understand that is still the case but there is a fair bit of bureacracy involved so we used an agent. The cheapest option I think if you are not going to spend all year here is to bring a UK runabout over and garage it when you are not here. I have seen several old UK cars around and assume that is what the owners have done. Mind you there is the hassle of getting an MOT...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by connal
The cheapest option I think if you are not going to spend all year here is to bring a UK runabout over and garage it when you are not here. I have seen several old UK cars around and assume that is what the owners have done. Mind you there is the hassle of getting an MOT...
It's only cheaper provided you don't get caught by the GNR/customs as it is illegal to do as you suggest.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

connal is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you're right. I hadn't thought of that. I guess sometimes this Portuguese lifestyle makes you a little too relaxed. My apologies if I have led anyone astray.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:17 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

My friends picked one up for about 800 euros.Look for the one man band repair places,they always have cars to sell.....nothing fantastic obviously,but if it's just a runabout for when you are here...ideal I would have thought.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:04 pm
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
My friends picked one up for about 800 euros.Look for the one man band repair places,they always have cars to sell.....nothing fantastic obviously,but if it's just a runabout for when you are here...ideal I would have thought.
Cleri! Where have you been?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by max0603
Cleri! Where have you been?
Hello Baybeeeeeee
On the other side,as you well know
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:56 pm
time for a glug...hic

golf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nicegolf04 is just really nice

Where,s the other side. Cant believe there is another forum I haven,t heard of. Whisper if you dont want anyone to know
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by golf04
Where,s the other side. Cant believe there is another forum I haven,t heard of. Whisper if you dont want anyone to know
Message sent
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

boobella is an unknown quantity at this point

The GNR seem to be stopping a lot foreign cars at the moment

I know someone whose car was hit by a drunk driver, they phoned the police while they kept the driver at the scene, the GNR did not bother to come out and breathalyse him so they had to let him go but took all his details, they found out he was not insured and the GNR did not help out at all, in fact they made it difficult.

Makes you laugh, personally I think the GNR are a waste of time, never there when you need them, just the same as the UK police, just less crime in PT and the GNR are not as bigoted as the UK police, they treat everyone like dirt

Last edited by boobella; Mar 4th 2011 at 4:46 pm.