Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Another car question

Another car question

Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:00 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Another car question

I'm sure I've read the information I'm after somewhere but I've just done a search of the forum and can't find it so can someone point me in the right direction, pretty please.

We're moving over in December and intend to bring our RHD car to use until we buy a new LHD. So the question is: should the worst come to the worst and we don't get rid of it in the six months period of grace what documents do we need to import it?

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a document you need to get from the dealer here in UK so I thought I'd get one just in case.

Look forward to you views.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another car question

Depends whether you are seeking exemption from import tax.
If you are then proof that have have owned vehicle for 12 months prior to coming to PT and lived in UK for corresponding period. Normally evidenced by household bills from UK.
So far as importing ther car is concerned you will need a certificate of conformity to show car complies with EU law regarding emissions, etc.
Shop around when looking for agents to do this for you, the fees vary wildly.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice

hi,hope this helps we are moving over to tavera in jan, we bought a cherokee jeep, which we intend to bring over with us, we contacted the manufacture "jeep" and the form you need as stated above in the last thread costs £105.00 but only s reg cars and above have them.hence why i think many people get un stuck in portugal when it comes to re registering the car.
also,headlights need to be changed to comply to pportageslaws but we have managed to find head light stickers,also cars that have tinted windows(not as standard) are illegal,£60 fine for each window and will not pass the mot once your there.hope this helps.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Novulus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aaron and jo
headlights need to be changed to comply to pportageslaws but we have managed to find head light stickers
Have you checked whether the stickers would pass a portuguese MOT? AFAIK stickers are acceptable for occasional visitors but not for permanent imports.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice

GOOD POINT I'LL CHECK IT OUT
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:27 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Another car question

aaron and jo,

Yes I'd heard there was a form you needed and could get before leaving the UK but wasn't sure of its title or where to get it from so thanks for the info