Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Annual car inspection (IPO)

Annual car inspection (IPO)

Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annual car inspection (IPO)

Can anyone remind me, just how soon before expiry can I put my car in to be retested.

Thanks...
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual car inspection (IPO)

Two months
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info peterfc, will put it in for inspection next week
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:17 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Hope nobody thinks me too pedantic but it might be useful to some to know that the law was changed a few years ago and the inspection can now be done up to 3 months in advance.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Hope nobody thinks me too pedantic but it might be useful to some to know that the law was changed a few years ago and the inspection can now be done up to 3 months in advance.
Even better news - more time = more flexibility
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Yes, the reminder card I got through the post says 3 months.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Yes, the reminder card I got through the post says 3 months.
Last year I missed the expiry date by 3 days, and it cost me a €250 fine. Won't let that happen again!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Last year I missed the expiry date by 3 days, and it cost me a €250 fine. Won't let that happen again!
I take it you got pulled over and then realised....
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike
I take it you got pulled over and then realised....
Absolutely - an fine example of Portugal Policing ( walking around car parks, looking at windscreens)!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:22 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - an fine example of Portugal Policing ( walking around car parks, looking at windscreens)!
We do a much better job in the UK, with all the data instantly available via the DVLA to the police.
Thousands caught out every month with cars imponded at the roadside.
Don't knock Portugal.

Last edited by EMR; Mar 13th 2017 at 1:24 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 9:37 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't actually been required to display the vignette from the IPO certificate in the windscreen for a while now. The only one it's necessary to display is the insurance.

Not that that would help if you were pulled over and they demanded to see the certificate, which you need to carry about with you when driving - but it may have helped not to alert them in the car park scenario.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You haven't actually been required to display the vignette from the IPO certificate in the windscreen for a while now. The only one it's necessary to display is the insurance.

Not that that would help if you were pulled over and they demanded to see the certificate, which you need to carry about with you when driving - but it may have helped not to alert them in the car park scenario.
Fair point and I have a feeling that, without a valid IPO sticker on the winscreen, the Police might be more inclined to do a "stop and check" so I will keep on displaying the vignette - " just in case" πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:24 pm
Polished expat

Fair point and I have a feeling that, without a valid IPO sticker on the winscreen, the Police might be more inclined to do a "stop and check" so I will keep on displaying the vignette - " just in case" πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
I'm not sure their eyesight is good enough to see which vignettes you're displaying at the distance you'll be from them when they flag you down for a docs inspection.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point and I have a feeling that, without a valid IPO sticker on the windscreen, the Police might be more inclined to do a "stop and check" so I will keep on displaying the vignette - " just in case" πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Always display mine as this happened to me a couple off weeks ago.
GNR stood in middle off the road ,I slowed down ,he saw I had seat belt on & checked windscreen then flagged me on.