Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Amazon Firestick TV

Amazon Firestick TV

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Firestick TV

If one has the funds and one does. Is not the answer; to buy a large motorised dish? No laptop, no broadband required? Plus unlimited channels.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

I've been using a Samsung smart TV for over 2 years without a problem. BBC iPlayer, ITV catch-up apps inbuilt makes it worthwhile.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:38 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
If one has the funds and one does. Is not the answer; to buy a large motorised dish? No laptop, no broadband required? Plus unlimited channels.
For British channels, how so? The "standard" UK satellite shadow is now more tightly focused and no longer covers southern Portugal....... So, you can pick up many, many other channels, but not the ones that most expats want.

Originally Posted by Jonny22
I've been using a Samsung smart TV for over 2 years without a problem. BBC iPlayer, ITV catch-up apps inbuilt makes it worthwhile.
???? - Back down the snake to comment 2 of this thread. To access those services you need to spoof a UK-based IP-address, usually by using a VPN otherwise you are blocked by the geographic requirement.

The Firestick has catch-up apps like iPlayer as standard, subject to the same requirement, as do other android boxes - but they also have other applications and the ability to add more.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by macliam
For British channels, how so? The "standard" UK satellite shadow is now more tightly focused and no longer covers southern Portugal....... So, you can pick up many, many other channels, but not the ones that most expats want.

???? - Back down the snake to comment 2 of this thread. To access those services you need to spoof a UK-based IP-address, usually by using a VPN otherwise you are blocked by the geographic requirement.

The Firestick has catch-up apps like iPlayer as standard, subject to the same requirement, as do other android boxes - but they also have other applications and the ability to add more.
Indeed, but a VPN slows everything down. A dummy DNS suffices without any speed drop.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

'For British channels, how so?' I do not know; i was asking a question.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

My UK4G TV - Watch UK TV seems to work well (in Thailand), it lags a bit, but that doesn't matter.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:01 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
'For British channels, how so?' I do not know; i was asking a question.
OK, so I hope I provided the answer - It's not the size of dish or it's direction or angle, it's the fact that the satellite beam for UK channels no longer covers much of Portugal.

There are many other satellites available but they don't carry UK content, or in the case of the BBC backup provided by Arqiva, they are limited in content, not "official" and may move as the main channels did.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:34 am
Resident Cynic

Indeed, but a VPN slows everything down. A dummy DNS suffices without any speed drop.
Agreed, but you're still paying for the DNS (and not all work or are safe). There are free VPNs (which do slow things down but are still usable) but I don't know of a safe, free DNS service.

Unless, of course, you know different
Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

I read that the Opera web browser offers a free VPN service. At the time, April 2016, this option was only available in the developer version of the browser.

Upgrade Your Browser | Beta Releases for Free | Opera
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:16 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by zoff
I read that the Opera web browser offers a free VPN service. At the time, April 2016, this option was only available in the developer version of the browser.

Upgrade Your Browser | Beta Releases for Free | Opera
"free" VPNs are available, but for UK viewing you need one with UK presence. Not sure Opera would offer that. I could be wrong though......
Old Feb 25th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agreed, but you're still paying for the DNS (and not all work or are safe). There are free VPNs (which do slow things down but are still usable) but I don't know of a safe, free DNS service.

Unless, of course, you know different
Free DNS may exist but I'm not aware of any. If they were free I probably wouldn't trust them anyway. Still, a paid for DNS costs me less than a cheap bottle of wine a month so I just do without one to finance it
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Free DNS may exist but I'm not aware of any. If they were free I probably wouldn't trust them anyway. Still, a paid for DNS costs me less than a cheap bottle of wine a month so I just do without one to finance it

There are a raft of free DNS service - including Google. Google them.
Not sure why you don't trust NFP services?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeJ
There are a raft of free DNS service - including Google. Google them.
Not sure why you don't trust NFP services?
No real reason Mike, only prejudice and paranoia...But I like the easy app mine has and if there's an issue I feel more 'entitled' to complain. For the cost I can't really be bothered nickel and diming.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

deecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nice

just got back from UK where I purchased the Amazon fire stick, fully loaded, £60 including Kodi. Sat down read the instructions, plugged it in, put in my wi-fi code and was watching BBC etc within half an hour. Sports channels are there (tried to watch ManU match, start stop,start stop) but my WI-Fi speed not good enough, its through Vodafone, 25.99 per month.
My opinion for what its worth, its great for Films, box sets etc, but to be honest Netflix is easier to use for main UK channels, Filmon gets you a great range of films, TV series etc, and I bought the firestick hoping to get all the sports channels, however it looks like I will have to wait until Vodafone improve the download speed or find another similar priced supplier.