Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Algarve advice needed

Algarve advice needed

Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Patchwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Algarve advice needed

Hi I am new to this forum. My husband and I are looking for somewhere to spend our wintersnow and eventually live full time. I have just taken very early retirement and he can work from home anywhere in Europe. We like Malta but it appears that the weather is better in PT, especially the Algarve. We would probably intitially rent but any advice is really welcome.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Algarve advice needed

I would suggest that you try both also possibly Costa del Sol as I believe it has the best weather. Everybody has there preferences but one of the attractions of mainland Europe for me is that I can drive here. That means I can bring more luggage and my dog and it also means that I have my nice big car here instead of a small hired car. Also on my return to UK I can usually find space for 3-4 boxes of wine. (for my wife)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:33 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Ola Patchwork
Check out www.valedatelha.com
Does not suit everyone but if you want Fabby beaches & unspoilt countryside, protected natural park - almost no tourists except Aug - very low priced Villa's great weather, good mix of Brits & locals. come and check us out. We are about 30 mins drive north of Lagos.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:48 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

lagos is a good area to be within reach of , with great beaches , golf courses and friendly peeps
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:52 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazz
lagos is a good area to be within reach of , with great beaches , golf courses and friendly peeps
Yeah but there are a few weird brit estate agents around there
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:57 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
Yeah but there are a few weird brit estate agents around there
"DOH!"
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the advice. Lagos sounds nice and a mix of locals and Brits sounds just what we are looking for. Is it easy to rent a property out of season for about a month just to get an idea of what the area is like? What are property prices like?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Another area that has caught our eye (husband has been to a number of meetings in Lisbon recently) is the Silver Coast. What are the pros and cons of this area?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:56 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

Originally Posted by Patchwork
Thanks everyone for the advice. Lagos sounds nice and a mix of locals and Brits sounds just what we are looking for. Is it easy to rent a property out of season for about a month just to get an idea of what the area is like? What are property prices like?
renting is not always as simple as people think, but i,m sure you may be able to find something via the internet.If you find the lagos area of interest , then pm me , i may be able to help with more information.

Last edited by gazz; Jan 8th 2008 at 7:59 am.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:58 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

Another area that has caught our eye (husband has been to a number of meetings in Lisbon recently) is the Silver Coast. What are the pros and cons of this area?
beautiful, windswept, generally unspoilt
can be somewhat isolated, less english speaking, less infrastructure than more established areas.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:01 am

Nice area,not as manic as the Algarve,property much cheaper in some areas,coastal prices are still rising and can be expensive.
Weather not quite as good as Algarve,but a huge improvement on Uk.
Lisbon,fabulous,lots and lots of historical places to visit all over the area,huge wine producing area,lovely beaches,prices for drinks,food etc much lower than Algarve,BUT its getting much more popular,and no doubt the prices will rise along with all the expats.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Nice area,not as manic as the Algarve,property much cheaper in some areas,coastal prices are still rising and can be expensive.
Weather not quite as good as Algarve,but a huge improvement on Uk.
Lisbon,fabulous,lots and lots of historical places to visit all over the area,huge wine producing area,lovely beaches,prices for drinks,food etc much lower than Algarve,BUT its getting much more popular,and no doubt the prices will rise along with all the expats.
Clri, looked at your classified ad - sounds good! How do I PM you?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:14 am

Clri, looked at your classified ad - sounds good! How do I PM you?
click on my name above the betty pic,and you will get a drop down menu,click on send private message
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:27 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

click on my name above the betty pic,and you will get a drop down menu,click on send private message
or alternatively run and hide from the venemous snake
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:34 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazz
or alternatively run and hide from the venemous snake
Asp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.