Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Working in the Police Forces (Canada)

Working in the Police Forces (Canada)

Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really nice
Default Working in the Police Forces (Canada)

Hey there,

Just a quick question...

I live in the UK, and am considering the possibility of moving to Canada when I'm a little older...

Are you able to apply to the police forces in Canada (In particular, Toronto) if you have no experience of the police forces previously.

Thanks,

Marky
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the Police Forces (Canada)

Hi Marky

Currently, for all police services in Canada, you need to be a Canadian citizen or you need to have Permanent Residency.

Edmonton and Calgary in Alberta have been using a provincial programme whereby they nominate people they want for a PR visa and the whole visa process is somewhat expedited. See both the Calgary and Edmonton police threads on this very site.

All other provinces and police services so far have not 'helped' anyone else to come to Canada to work as a police officer.

Our experience so far shows that you do not have to have been a police officer in the UK (or anywhere else) first - but you do need that golden ticket, ie, you must be a citizen (got any Canadian parents tucked away back there?!) or get that PR visa - that's the hard part - and I would then refer you to our Wiki on this site to read about the PR bit.

Good luck
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really nice

Thanks for the speedy reply Ann

Unfortunatly, I only have friends living in Canada - no Canadian family

If I was to live in Canada and immigrate through a different job role - lived in Canada for four years (Thus gaining the title "Permanent Resident") - Are you then able to apply to the forces?

Thanks again!

Marky
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Can see no reason why not - as long as you keep your nose clean!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
Can see no reason why not - as long as you keep your nose clean!!
Hehe I hear you Thanks Ann
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

wannabecalgarypc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I was thinking maybe the best thing to do would be to join the Police in the UK do 2 years then try to get in over there, would shorten the time down some
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

mr-teatime is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually you are only required to be a Citizen if you are thinking of joining the RCMP.
All other Regional/Provincial forces only required that u are a landed immigrant/permanent resident
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"for all police services in Canada, you need to be a Canadian citizen or you need to have Permanent Residency."

That's what I said
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

mr-teatime is an unknown quantity at this point

Doh! My bad!