Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Old May 13th 2014, 1:04 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Hi guys..

Please don't think iv gotten ahead of myself here but..
Just been on another forum and there's a checklist of things that need to be done.. The checklist starts with 18mths to go and then really kicks in at 12mths.. And I'm under the impression that we are probably going to be there within 12mth if we get through..
Other than study for the next stage and talk with work and immediate family we've done no prep for actually moving..
What's everyone else doing and when?? Not sure there's really anything we can do yet.. Is there?? I thought we were organised by planning to get the house valued once we know the outcome of may!!
Thank goodness for this forum lol..

Steve
steveede74 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 8:01 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Burnley
Posts: 14
katiesparkle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Hi Steve!
I'm not doing anything until I get through the interview stages. Don't worry too much about it! If we are all successful we could help each other out.. I bobbie I know moved out next month and is sharing accommodation with others he met on the journey to OZ
I have kids and two houses to sell too but until I get any offer I'm just not worrying about it xx
katiesparkle is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 9:18 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Hi Katie..
Iv got a super organised wife so I must admit a lot will be left for her to do.. She'll sharp let me know when there's something I need to get involved with lol..

She's already started to "declutter" the house.. "Just in case"..

After we know what's happening end of the month think we are getting the house valued so we have some sort of idea where we are with that and getting paperwork together.. Making sure passports or in date and get one for the little one.. Its things that cost nothing or very little and would need doing anyway regardless of staying or going..

Just got such a shock when I saw the list of things to do and it started from 18mths.. Time is flying by too.. Can't believe I put the application in over a month ago..

Well good luck on the 30th and let me know how you get on..

Steve
steveede74 is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 9:47 am
  #4  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,274
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

have a read through tht thread in the main Australia forum, should give you some ideeas
Pollyana is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 9:51 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Burnley
Posts: 14
katiesparkle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

have a read through tht thread in the main Australia forum, should give you some ideeas
Yep there is loads to do! Someone told me that is only took 12 months and they were there not 18... The cost is a concern to say the least! Plus during the training it's how my the mortgage is paid at home etc.. Oh well I'm gonna worry about that in June if I need to!!
katiesparkle is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 10:34 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,011
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Originally Posted by katiesparkle View Post
Yep there is loads to do! Someone told me that is only took 12 months and they were there not 18... The cost is a concern to say the least! Plus during the training it's how my the mortgage is paid at home etc.. Oh well I'm gonna worry about that in June if I need to!!
I think most of last years successful applicants have headed over. Think they got final results around last October time.

If you are successful through the psychometric tests, there are still the physical tests and interview to do so will be some time before you know if you are successful. That's not to say that you can't be prepping now. If you have a house to sell, maybe make sure any jobs that need doing are done (will keep you busy and stop you checking emails too often too). If you don't have a lot of savings, you might want to look at trying to build that up now. Visa application costs are not cheap. There are medicals and police checks to add in as well as the cost of the move itself. Our flights last year were just under 2k and shipping was another 4. Car here cost $5.5k, deposit on rental and initial rent on long term accommodation another $2.5k - and the holiday let to give us the first month accommodation while we house hunted was another $2k
old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 11:01 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Trying not to worry too much about the money side of things.. wife is on maternity leave til Oct as well so not ideal for saving but hey ho.. just about to pay all debt off so at least thats not coming out each month.. so thatll help a bit.. if we wait til we have the money and the animals have left us.. the kids are the perfect ages and the wife has retrained. . It'll never happen will it.. just gotta go for it and manage somehow.. loads have done it before and loads will do it after us so its gotta be do-able.. I hope.. lol!!!

Steve
steveede74 is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 11:05 am
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,011
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Originally Posted by steveede74 View Post
Trying not to worry too much about the money side of things.. wife is on maternity leave til Oct as well so not ideal for saving but hey ho.. just about to pay all debt off so at least thats not coming out each month.. so thatll help a bit.. if we wait til we have the money and the animals have left us.. the kids are the perfect ages and the wife has retrained. . It'll never happen will it.. just gotta go for it and manage somehow.. loads have done it before and loads will do it after us so its gotta be do-able.. I hope.. lol!!!

Steve
Do you have animals to bring Steve?
old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 2:13 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Not sure yet mate.. we currently have a 10yr old rottie that is unfortunately not going to be making the trip.. it just wouldn't be fair to put him through it.. thats if hes even still with us by then.. we also have a cat that is very much my wifes.. heard theres a high death rate in outdoor cats.. heat and native wildlife.. so not sure what to do for the best..
A lot to think about.. have you any pets??

Steve
steveede74 is offline  
Old May 14th 2014, 9:55 pm
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,011
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Originally Posted by steveede74 View Post
Not sure yet mate.. we currently have a 10yr old rottie that is unfortunately not going to be making the trip.. it just wouldn't be fair to put him through it.. thats if hes even still with us by then.. we also have a cat that is very much my wifes.. heard theres a high death rate in outdoor cats.. heat and native wildlife.. so not sure what to do for the best..
A lot to think about.. have you any pets??

Steve
Not at the moment - we rehomed our pets in the UK before leaving. The cost of getting them here is pretty steep, and I wasn't sure how safe they would be (a crazy springer and spider eating indoor cat). Just looking into giving a home into a rescue cat here
old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 15th 2014, 7:34 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

The dogs just to old to justify bringing him.. Not convinced he would survive the trip.. The cat is so naughty she'll have herself killed within the week.. Although we are rehoming them as its the best thing to do for them.. Its still bloody hard.. Feel sick every time I think about it.. We'll definitely be getting another cat once settled over there.. As a family we are too used to having a furry family member to not have one when we move.. Of course I need to get a job offer for any of the above to even be an issue lol!!
How's your move gone?? Anything you wish you'd known before you went/start of the process??

Steve
steveede74 is offline  
Old May 15th 2014, 7:39 am
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,011
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Originally Posted by steveede74 View Post
The dogs just to old to justify bringing him.. Not convinced he would survive the trip.. The cat is so naughty she'll have herself killed within the week.. Although we are rehoming them as its the best thing to do for them.. Its still bloody hard.. Feel sick every time I think about it.. We'll definitely be getting another cat once settled over there.. As a family we are too used to having a furry family member to not have one when we move.. Of course I need to get a job offer for any of the above to even be an issue lol!!
How's your move gone?? Anything you wish you'd known before you went/start of the process??

Steve
I came over for a visit before we applied for our visa. Probably the hardest bit is how slow companies are hiring, and licensing regs (I'm a sparky) but nothing too major. We did our research, sold up everything so we have funds in the bank - and paid for family to visit the first Christmas (we've not long completed our first year so still new to Oz ).
old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 15th 2014, 8:10 am
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Did you not take your furniture with you?? How've you found the housing?? As much as we've looked online its normally totally different to looking in person..
Angela.. My wife.. Has family in oz but we've never been..hummed and haaa'd about visiting first but then decided to just put the money we would of spent towards clearing debts here so we could move over there with no lingering financial worries..
We are a very good team and I can honestly say I have no worries about moving over there and either not liking it or someone wanting to come back.. Its very much a case of once gone that's it for us.. We may come back for the odd visit but we'll see.. We've spoken to close friends and family and they've all assured us that we'll need a rota of who'll be over visiting and when.. So I don't think we'll be short of company lol..
Like I said before.. Leaving the animals is going to be the hardest part for us all..

Steve
steveede74 is offline  
Old May 15th 2014, 8:30 am
  #14  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,011
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Originally Posted by steveede74 View Post
Did you not take your furniture with you?? How've you found the housing?? As much as we've looked online its normally totally different to looking in person..
Angela.. My wife.. Has family in oz but we've never been..hummed and haaa'd about visiting first but then decided to just put the money we would of spent towards clearing debts here so we could move over there with no lingering financial worries..
We are a very good team and I can honestly say I have no worries about moving over there and either not liking it or someone wanting to come back.. Its very much a case of once gone that's it for us.. We may come back for the odd visit but we'll see.. We've spoken to close friends and family and they've all assured us that we'll need a rota of who'll be over visiting and when.. So I don't think we'll be short of company lol..
Like I said before.. Leaving the animals is going to be the hardest part for us all..

Steve
We shipped our furniture - it left before we did. Fortunately I have good friends and 2 older kids still in the UK and we camped in our old house with items borrowed. We also did 5 weeks in a holiday let when we arrived so the furniture was here just after we got the keys to our long term rental. During those 5 weeks sorted out buying a car, house hunting, meeting friends we made on BE, medicare and driving license, etc.

Our dog was rehomed through Windsor Battersea and the cat went to a local vet (rehomed although it got close - older cat with epilepsy). It's only me and the youngest - he has Asperger's and has found it difficult finding work but has a little job since last Nov/Dec and we manage okay
old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 15th 2014, 9:38 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 18
steveede74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wapol.. who's doing what?? when??

Ahh mate sounds like youve done amazingly well..
Our friends youngest has asbergers as well.. doesnt find it easy but manages..
We'll be bringing a 16yr old daughter and a year old son.. if my maths is right this time lol.. and yes.. he was a bit of a surprise.. so a big old adventure for us all.. ill be battering your head for tips and ideas as this journey unfolds.. hopefully anyway!!

Steve
steveede74 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.