WA and Queensland Police

Old May 5th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: WA and Queensland Police

***UPDATE TIME***

Ok we just just back from 3 weeks in Brisbane and Perth.

Firstly we went to Brisbane.

Initially I visited the Police Headquarters in the city. They are pretty particular about how you dress when you visit, so dont wear flipflops, I'd suggest a decent shirt, trousers and shoes. The chap I spoke to made a point of saying how much it pissed him off to be speaking to British coppers in flipflops! (I did not make that mistake thank God) They also made it very clear that you are going over there to become an Aussie Copper and you need to have made your mind up about wanting to be an Australian, as they dont want any problems with homesickness, especially if you arent very committed.

I was also fortunate enough to be put in contact with an instructor Sergeant currently instructing on the PACE program. He was superb, a really decent down to earth gentleman who invited up up the Academy in Oxley. He spared a couple hours of his time to really chat with both of us. He then inroduced us to his current PACE class, which consisted of 13 recruits, 3 of whom were ex Met officers. He then left us alone with them to allow us to speak without any reasons for them to mince their words. They were all very optimistic and supportive. They had all decided on Queensland and were fitting in well with the lifestyle. I also spoke to a few recruits who were ex NSW coppers who were also really nice and helpful. They all stated they found the style of policing slightly different but the academic work was not very hard and they were all coping rather well. They stressed that you should get fit and pass all tests as if you fail you have to do remedial PT and or swimming at all funny early hours of the morning to catch up!!

Queensland have NO numbers problems at present. They have no plans to start any type of visa sponsorship at present, but also intend to keep the program running indefinately, as it is a good source of "tried and tested" coppers.

Next we visited WA Police. I had already arranged an appointment at Joondalup Academy. Here I recieved a very warm welcome from a Sergeant who is directly responsible for the "Recognition of prior learning and Policing Programs" He explained that although this is still in its infancy he is currently draughting together a proposal to actively recruit from sources of experience police, such as UK, Canada and Hong Kong. This is still in its draught phase, and nothing has been agreed or is in writing yet! Nonetheless his advice was for anyone hoping to join WA Police was to get their application ready and wait for the announcement to be made on the website.

He hopes to impliment a structured abridged course at the academy consisting of a 14 week initial training period. Then the officers progression will follow the advancement already outlined in the website regarding "Recognition of Prior Policing Experience". The pay scales published on the webiste are current.

Most imporatantly of all, however, was the fact that he stated he would be asking local government ministers to allow officers to be given permanent residence visas in exchange for sigining a 2 year contract with WA Police.

I must stress NOTHING had been agreed when I visited, but he seemed pretty confident that he would get the PR visas, as WA police does have some recruiting shortfalls.

Be advised though, you WILL be expected to some sort of country placement, ranging between 1-3 years, depending on how remote an area you work.

Good luck to you all!

Feel free to ask any further questions, I'll do my best to help.

Mr HugoB (Rory)
Old May 5th 2005, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

lovey and wife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Just a quick update, I recieved my letter of appointment on the 27th April and will be starting at the acadamy on he 14th June. I got my first choice of division (Metropolitan South), but they wont give me a station until I finish at the acadamy. I also got the pay point I wanted (1.5) so its all good.
We arrived in Brisbane on Saturday and are now living in Cleveland which is brilliant.
My appointment is obviously subject to my presenting my senior first aid (which you can get here in about 2 days with St john), my Bronze medallion, (just managed to get this prior to leaving UK, the timed swims a b****h) and passing the running on the 10th and a medical.
If I can do anything for anyone please let me know.
Jamie
Old May 6th 2005, 6:22 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lovey and wife
Hi All,
Just a quick update, I recieved my letter of appointment on the 27th April and will be starting at the acadamy on he 14th June. I got my first choice of division (Metropolitan South), but they wont give me a station until I finish at the acadamy. I also got the pay point I wanted (1.5) so its all good.
We arrived in Brisbane on Saturday and are now living in Cleveland which is brilliant.
My appointment is obviously subject to my presenting my senior first aid (which you can get here in about 2 days with St john), my Bronze medallion, (just managed to get this prior to leaving UK, the timed swims a b****h) and passing the running on the 10th and a medical.
Jamie

Excellent news!! We are still waiting for our Visa (long story!! ) but we have contacted QLD Police because hubby only has hols in June so we had planned to go then for his interview. Still hoping it can be arranged. Please keep in touch. Interested to see you are in Cleveland. We looked at Bayside area and wondered if all Met. South stations would be easy enought to get to if we lived there. Would it be too far too travel? First choice is still Sunshine Coast but we'll wait and see.
Carolyn
Old May 6th 2005, 6:27 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HugoB
***UPDATE TIME***

Ok we just just back from 3 weeks in Brisbane and Perth.

Firstly we went to Brisbane.

Initially I visited the Police Headquarters in the city. They are pretty particular about how you dress when you visit, so dont wear flipflops, I'd suggest a decent shirt, trousers and shoes. The chap I spoke to made a point of saying how much it pissed him off to be speaking to British coppers in flipflops! (I did not make that mistake thank God) They also made it very clear that you are going over there to become an Aussie Copper and you need to have made your mind up about wanting to be an Australian, as they dont want any problems with homesickness, especially if you arent very committed.

I was also fortunate enough to be put in contact with an instructor Sergeant currently instructing on the PACE program. He was superb, a really decent down to earth gentleman who invited up up the Academy in Oxley. He spared a couple hours of his time to really chat with both of us. He then inroduced us to his current PACE class, which consisted of 13 recruits, 3 of whom were ex Met officers. He then left us alone with them to allow us to speak without any reasons for them to mince their words. They were all very optimistic and supportive. They had all decided on Queensland and were fitting in well with the lifestyle. I also spoke to a few recruits who were ex NSW coppers who were also really nice and helpful. They all stated they found the style of policing slightly different but the academic work was not very hard and they were all coping rather well. They stressed that you should get fit and pass all tests as if you fail you have to do remedial PT and or swimming at all funny early hours of the morning to catch up!!

Queensland have NO numbers problems at present. They have no plans to start any type of visa sponsorship at present, but also intend to keep the program running indefinately, as it is a good source of "tried and tested" coppers.

Next we visited WA Police. I had already arranged an appointment at Joondalup Academy. Here I recieved a very warm welcome from a Sergeant who is directly responsible for the "Recognition of prior learning and Policing Programs" He explained that although this is still in its infancy he is currently draughting together a proposal to actively recruit from sources of experience police, such as UK, Canada and Hong Kong. This is still in its draught phase, and nothing has been agreed or is in writing yet! Nonetheless his advice was for anyone hoping to join WA Police was to get their application ready and wait for the announcement to be made on the website.

He hopes to impliment a structured abridged course at the academy consisting of a 14 week initial training period. Then the officers progression will follow the advancement already outlined in the website regarding "Recognition of Prior Policing Experience". The pay scales published on the webiste are current.

Most imporatantly of all, however, was the fact that he stated he would be asking local government ministers to allow officers to be given permanent residence visas in exchange for sigining a 2 year contract with WA Police.

I must stress NOTHING had been agreed when I visited, but he seemed pretty confident that he would get the PR visas, as WA police does have some recruiting shortfalls.

Be advised though, you WILL be expected to some sort of country placement, ranging between 1-3 years, depending on how remote an area you work.

Good luck to you all!

Feel free to ask any further questions, I'll do my best to help.

Mr HugoB (Rory)
Rory, just found your reply - don't know how we missed that one Thanks so much for posting your experiences. Great to get some feedback and useful bits of advice - def NO flip-flops!!

Have you decided where you will head for? Did you prefer the city of Perth or Brisbane?
All the best with your plans!
Carolyn
Old May 6th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NAC
Rory, just found your reply - don't know how we missed that one Thanks so much for posting your experiences. Great to get some feedback and useful bits of advice - def NO flip-flops!!

Have you decided where you will head for? Did you prefer the city of Perth or Brisbane?
All the best with your plans!
Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

We have decided on WA. We have friends in Perth which helps a lot. Also houses appear on average to be about Aus$50000 cheaper in WA. We liked the Northern areas of Perth especially.

However Brisbane also seemed nice. I preferred the Sunshine Coast to the Gold Coast, but I guess it depends what you want. I found the Gold Coast a bit too built up for my liking.

regards

Rory
Old May 6th 2005, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Hi HugoB

Long time no speak, been tied up with this SAPOL thing. Only just had a chance to catch up on this thread.

Hope all works out well for you and your family.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

texrex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rory,

Glad to here you had a good time in Brisbane and Perth. I missed out on the SAPOL programme, but have been in contact with a guy called Jeff in the recruitment dept of WA police and he has advised much of the same as yourself, said he would be in touch once they had sorted out the visa's etc. I have been on the WA website and in order to see the "Recognition of prior policing" it says you need to have an acrobe reader. Can anyone tell me what this is or how to get it? I myself have been in the Met for 11 yrs and are looking now to transfer.

Many thanks

Tony
Old May 6th 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by texrex
Hi Rory,

Glad to here you had a good time in Brisbane and Perth. I missed out on the SAPOL programme, but have been in contact with a guy called Jeff in the recruitment dept of WA police and he has advised much of the same as yourself, said he would be in touch once they had sorted out the visa's etc. I have been on the WA website and in order to see the "Recognition of prior policing" it says you need to have an acrobe reader. Can anyone tell me what this is or how to get it? I myself have been in the Met for 11 yrs and are looking now to transfer.

Many thanks

Tony
Hi Tony,

you need Adobe Acrobat Reader, which you can get for free here http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Good luck with the application.

Rory
Old May 6th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

hiya
just read these last posts and see that brit expats are blocking out the title of the website you are trying to find.. they can be a bit funny like that - no need to be as no services being offered by this other forum.. anyway someone has typed it in on an earlier post but i'll repeat: if you type in police dash forum dot com with no spaces and symbols for dash and dot then that will take you to the site where officers and families who are either in adelaide at the training school already, waiting to go in july, or waiting to hear about south oz police applications from xmas.

hope that is visible. if not go to yahoo and put police forum in the search field.

good luck x
Old May 6th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All,
Jamie

Best of luck to you!

from what I heard from the students you'll have a good time at the Academy!

Rory
Old May 7th 2005, 6:23 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zoe100
hiya
just read these last posts and see that brit expats are blocking out the title of the website you are trying to find.. they can be a bit funny like that - no need to be as no services being offered by this other forum.. anyway someone has typed it in on an earlier post but i'll repeat: if you type in police dash forum dot com with no spaces and symbols for dash and dot then that will take you to the site where officers and families who are either in adelaide at the training school already, waiting to go in july, or waiting to hear about south oz police applications from xmas.

hope that is visible. if not go to yahoo and put police forum in the search field.

good luck x
Thanks for that I was the one trying to put it in and was getting a little embarassed by the 3rd post

Carolyn
Old May 8th 2005, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Lee&Clare is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Jamie
Well done Fella, and all the best.
Qld police have just started the checks with the met re: my application. All seems to be going well.
I will speak nearer the time but any hints on the interview. hope to meet up for a beer over Christmas.
Cheers,
Lee..
Old May 10th 2005, 1:45 am
Just Joined

cotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default *Copper wanting advice on Oz move*

Hello

I'm new to this forum but have read many threads.

I'm a "probationer" Copper with 18 months experience (5 years Military Police before that) desperately wanting to work and live in Oz.

I know that a police "trade" scores NIL and I could not apply for the SA Police Recruitment Drive early last year due to not having 3 years Civvy Police experience. (Well done and congratulations to all that were successfull!!!)

I'm wondering if anyone knows any other Police Force in other states in Oz will be carrying out the same type of Police Recruitment drive as South Australia in the near future.

I do not have any other Trades or qualifications to get to Oz and would like to carry on the job I love in Oz.

Your comments would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old May 10th 2005, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lee&Clare
Well done Fella, and all the best.
Qld police have just started the checks with the met re: my application. All seems to be going well.
I will speak nearer the time but any hints on the interview. hope to meet up for a beer over Christmas.
Cheers,
Lee..
Lee,
Glad to hear it, I hope the Met are better at answering the queires than my lot were.
The interview was really laid back, they just want to know about your experience so its stuff about what would you at RTA's, Siege's stuff like that. The other thing they tend to ask about is why you want to join Qld Police.
Let me know when you get over and a beer it shall be.
Jamie
Old May 10th 2005, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NAC
Excellent news!! We are still waiting for our Visa (long story!! ) but we have contacted QLD Police because hubby only has hols in June so we had planned to go then for his interview. Still hoping it can be arranged. Please keep in touch. Interested to see you are in Cleveland. We looked at Bayside area and wondered if all Met. South stations would be easy enought to get to if we lived there. Would it be too far too travel? First choice is still Sunshine Coast but we'll wait and see.
Carolyn
Carolyn,

Thank you, Bayside is lovely and I think that you can drive to most Metro South stations in less than an hour from Cleveland, (although I havent actually tried it). You would not want to travel from Bayside to the Sunshine coast though (about 1hr 45mins on a good day).
All the best and let me know how he gets on.
Jamie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.