Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

stop whining about the UK, and the grass is NOT greener

stop whining about the UK, and the grass is NOT greener

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Vladimir Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stop whining about the UK, and the grass is NOT greener

I totally disagree with the above discouraging postings and note the amount of whinging and whining from people on this site.

I think the UK is an infinitely suprior place to work and live to either US or Canada, and I am getting fed up with all these UK officers who are so keen to turn their back on their own police services that trained and provided for them.

I have seen both sides, I came out to Canada for personal reasons.

Now I am returning to the Uk to rejoin the police and cannot wait!

I have never been in a more hideously boring country in my life than Canada!

As to the US: look at the murder rate! And the culture!

Edmonton and Calgary consist of mainly ugly modern shopping malls in a flat big piece of farming country.

The UK is far more progressive in policing than canada or the US, and also the equipment, training and career development far better.

Also the terms and conditions such as pension and vacation are far better.

My advice to those planning to leave the UK for Canada, is think before you leap. Many come to Canada, and end up stuck and unable to get back.

Canada: good for baseball caps ice hockey and donuts. Wow, what siginificant contribtutions to world culture
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Davie McCaig will become famous soon enough
Default Re: stop whining about the UK, and the grass is NOT greener

Originally Posted by Vladimir Drake
I totally disagree with the above discouraging postings and note the amount of whinging and whining from people on this site.

I think the UK is an infinitely suprior place to work and live to either US or Canada, and I am getting fed up with all these UK officers who are so keen to turn their back on their own police services that trained and provided for them.

I have seen both sides, I came out to Canada for personal reasons.

Now I am returning to the Uk to rejoin the police and cannot wait!

I have never been in a more hideously boring country in my life than Canada!

As to the US: look at the murder rate! And the culture!

Edmonton and Calgary consist of mainly ugly modern shopping malls in a flat big piece of farming country.

The UK is far more progressive in policing than canada or the US, and also the equipment, training and career development far better.

Also the terms and conditions such as pension and vacation are far better.

My advice to those planning to leave the UK for Canada, is think before you leap. Many come to Canada, and end up stuck and unable to get back.

Canada: good for baseball caps ice hockey and donuts. Wow, what siginificant contribtutions to world culture

Yes Drake you are probably right however a lot of people are becoming disillusioned by the UK and want to leave. Why should you stay with a UK force for 30 years just because they trained you.....??? and as for provided for them....what have the UK police ever provided me with....In the last ten years they have removed housing allowances....cancellation of rest days is now less than 5 days notice rather than the 8 days notice a few years back..(all this for double time payment) and by all accounts this will change again in the next year or two also in my own particular force the federation agreed a shift pattern that nobody wanted...so they haven't provided me with anything.

You can have my job in the UK and I'll take yours if you like

If your skills are better used elsewhere then why not move. People may just want to leave the UK regardless of cost of living

I also find it hard to believe you are stuck in Canada once you go to live there

Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, London all consist of mainly ugly run down housing estates built on a small piece of Land farmers don't want

and finally UK: good for "burberry" Baseball caps, soccer and deep fried mars bars, chavs Wow what significant contributions to world culture
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Vladimir Drake is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd happily switch with you if this was possible.

And if you can: take a career break when you go to Canada. Cos you won't know till you get here, and you would be surprised how many people get cold feet after they arrive and start working day in day out.

That way, if you need to go back to UK you can at least go straight back in without any rigmarole.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Elli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: stop whining about the UK, and the grass is NOT greener

I presume you have taken your own advice and looked into how different policing in the UK is now compared to when you left 4 years ago? Personally I am moving to Canada for a better way of life for my family and education for my children and the police just happens to be the career I am in.
The UK governement can't decide what way to go hence the police changes day by day in what they ask for. The training is less, the targets change and the resources just keep dissapearing but the pressure from the public keeps increasing so you end up running around cr*p call after cr*p call.
I have looked into moving very seriously and understand the leave is less (I get 120 hrs, 3 weeks in Edmonton) but the overtime is more available allowing me to build up more.

Good luck back in the UK and hope you are not dissapointed, I personally can't wait to leave this hole the government think is progressive at least in Canada won't keep finding smeelies coming out of lorries every 5 mins then paying for them to stay !!!!!!!

P
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

I would partly agree with this. The grass is probably not greener but it is different. There is give and take. I still think the UK is a great place and I hope to visit every 18 months or so, but I think we can have a better quality of life here in Canada.

I left a UK Police force last year with 6 years service and I am currenty going through Police College (4 weeks left). Once training is done my pay will be better than I was on in the UK, I will be able to afford a much bigger house, and we have two new cars. However, on the downside I will not get as many holidays, and all our family is still in the UK. On balance though I think it was the right move for us and have no regrets so far.

The training is off a similar time frame but I think it is much better here than it was in the UK.

If anyone is considering the move, good luck.

Mark
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Mark - and good luck with the final bit of training. Hubby starts with Calgary in July - not looking forward to the training in lots of ways!

Maybe grass not greener - there is the core element of policing that will be the same the world over - it's all the other 'surrounding' elements that will decide whether it is a good move or not ... so then it's a personal thing as to whether they add up to a good overall package.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Thanks for that Mark - and good luck with the final bit of training. Hubby starts with Calgary in July - not looking forward to the training in lots of ways!

Maybe grass not greener - there is the core element of policing that will be the same the world over - it's all the other 'surrounding' elements that will decide whether it is a good move or not ... so then it's a personal thing as to whether they add up to a good overall package.
How come not looking forward to the training. Is it any particular part or just the thought of doing it all again having done it once in the UK.

It actually goes by really quickly. Hard to believe I have been here for over two months. Oh well back home tomorrow for a couple of days.

Mark
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the 'doing it all again' bit that is not being looked forward to hugely - he's been in 16 years - done a fair few courses in his time as you can imagine - plus been an instructor himself !
But of course it is essential to learn the 'Canadian way', of course, and be nice to meet all the new colleagues, etc - so going into it with due enthusiam.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:30 am
Just Joined

ape2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ann m,

Say hi to Mr m for me. I'm still on Cayman. Nice to hear that you are making the move. It'll be great once you move. We have lots of Canadian Cops down here and they are all lovely people.

Best of luck

Andy
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

LizziesDad is an unknown quantity at this point

The grass in the UK Police has definately darkened.

I have served 24 years in North Yorks, with military service I can retire in 2008, I will not be staying.

Things have changed massively in 4 years.

I am looking at emigrating from the UK for far more reasons than what the buildings look like.

I dont know if the grass is greener over there but I suggest that before you leap you take a look at the papers.

Check out the Police Oracle forums on Essex Police, I certainly recognise some of their points.