British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Sapol April 2010 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/sapol-april-2010-a-623619/)

sunworshipper Aug 3rd 2009 2:28 pm

Sapol April 2010

Hi is there anyone out there who is applying on this current campaign?
my other half has his exam on Thursday.
Good luck to everyone :fingerscrossed:

michelle6266 Aug 10th 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Sapol April 2010

Hi there , we were interviewed in jan , starting in april 2010 yippee, cant wait , havent been on the forum before , so we are hoping to meet people who are also joining in april .

michelle6266 Aug 10th 2009 5:08 pm

[QUOTE=michelle6266;7829793]Hi there , we were interviewed in jan , starting in april 2010 yippee, cant wait , havent been on the forum before , so we are hoping to meet people also joining in april, its quite exciting but also scary, if theres anyone out there who wants to chat about it , feel free

madogs and Irish Men Aug 12th 2009 9:37 pm

Hello Sunworshipper & Michelle6266,

I am in for the current campaign (April 2010) and hope to be in Adelaide come April 2010. I would say that there are quite a few others in the same boat of wishful thinking. Anyway welcome to the forum.

You may want to have a look thorugh the SAPOL / WAPOL thread which has been running a while now. This shows you some of the ups and downs some people have had with the process so far. You will also find some of the people that applied in Dec 2008 and that have made it through for April 2010.

Good luck

and Cheers

Charlie389 Aug 14th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by sunworshipper (Post 7808650)
Hi is there anyone out there who is applying on this current campaign?
my other half has his exam on Thursday.
Good luck to everyone :fingerscrossed:

I had the exam on the same date, got my fingers crossed! Working on the fitness level, now, not done much since I joined Strathclyde! I have found one benefit of having turned 30 now though, fewer sit ups and push ups required! :D

michelle6266 Aug 14th 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by madogs and Irish Men (Post 7837676)
Hello Sunworshipper & Michelle6266,

I am in for the current campaign (April 2010) and hope to be in Adelaide come April 2010. I would say that there are quite a few others in the same boat of wishful thinking. Anyway welcome to the forum.

You may want to have a look thorugh the SAPOL / WAPOL thread which has been running a while now. This shows you some of the ups and downs some people have had with the process so far. You will also find some of the people that applied in Dec 2008 and that have made it through for April 2010.

Good luck

and Cheers

Hi there, thanks for replying, we were interviewed in jan ,got through , if you havent had the fitness yet , they take it very serious, you must get prepared for it ,you have to pass, so get training for those with the fitness to come .
we've checked out the sapol/wapol thread ,cant work it out , its prob me im not that technical as you probally gathered, my husband Darren is the policeman, im just the one that has the time to check things out ,want to talk to as many people as we can who are starting in april 6th 2010.

anyway thanks again talk to you soon.

michelle6266 Aug 14th 2009 12:44 pm

Hi there thanks for your reply, my husband darren was interviewed in jan , and we were lucky to pass , so we are going in march for the april 6th 2010 start .

checked out the sapol/wapol forum ,cant seem to work it out ,but hey im a one finger job on the computer , what do we expect haha,

hoping to get to know people ,who are also joining in april.

hope your successful .
anyway good luck .

sunworshipper Aug 15th 2009 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Charlie389 (Post 7842855)
I had the exam on the same date, got my fingers crossed! Working on the fitness level, now, not done much since I joined Strathclyde! I have found one benefit of having turned 30 now though, fewer sit ups and push ups required! :D

I've got my fingers crossed as well!! hate this waiting it's driving me mad!!
My OH thought the exam was ok, how do you think you did? He applied in 2007 but failed on the personality profile so we are trying not to get to excited this time but it's hard!!

good luck:thumbup:

Charlie389 Aug 16th 2009 9:38 am

I thought the exams were OK, although I didn't manage to finish the standard matrices booklet. I was really scratching my head towards the end of it! All the best to you and your OH, will let you know on 11/09 how I got on.:thumbup:

michelle6266 Aug 16th 2009 10:15 am

Hi sunworshipper.
Hope your lucky this time , we had our interviews in jan 2009 , and have been accepted , just sorting out the visa application at the moment , quite straight forward once you have all the paperwork in place ,and awaiting our medicals for immigration.
They re-opened the intake for april 2010 ,is that when you applied ? ,have you (husband ) had the fitness yet , at the moment we are trying to decide on locations where we hope to be posted .
We were out in adelaide in may , fab place ,prefer coastal of course, but its a fab city also , cant decide but its not far from the coast if we decide the city ,not so sure about country , but hey if you got the sun , what more can you ask for , do you have a preference on postings.
my name is michelle , husband darren the policeman, we have 2 children sadie 14 and zac 10 ,have you children ?.
anyway nice hearing from you ,and good luck .

sunworshipper Aug 16th 2009 11:28 am

Hi Charlie 389 and Michelle6266!

Well done Michelle! i bet your so excited!! my husband has just applied for this second recruitment drive that opened in June so has just done the exam, we find out on the 11th Sept if he has passed. we will be home from Spain on the 12th so i will post the result then!!!! (fingers crossed it's a yes!!)
He is working hard at the moment for the fitness!! those twisty sit ups sound a killer!!! what a horrible technique! i hear a lot failed on them on the last fitness but were offered a second attempt at them on a different day. not sure if they will do that again? anyway he is trying his very best so i can't ask for more!!
We have 3 children, 2 boys aged 15 and 13 and a girl who will be 4 in October! I have started looking at areas and i seem to like the look of the south coast, areas like Christies beach for example, although to be honest it all looks nice!! i have also looked at country as financially it's a good option as we would not have a lot of money. we would have to sell our house.
Ive decided to stop looking as much now just in case he doesn't get through. Were the interviews ok?? did you go?? what do your children think?? how have your family's reacted?? where do you live? we live in Stockport near Manchester.
I also go on another forum which is aimed just for police who are migrating to Australia, New Zealand and Canada, it has so much information on it, it's really good, it's called police-forum.com. Have a look there are people on there who are also starting in April 2010
Nice to hear from you:D

michelle6266 Aug 16th 2009 2:16 pm

Hi the interviews were so laid back you didnt feel you were at a interview ,they just want to make sure you realize how difficult the move will be , and how committed you are ,the fitness is solid, i was there and you can watch to give support, but they take the fitness very serious, the situps was the hardest and if my husband had to do one more he would of failed,and he is very fit.
The family are very mixed , dont blame us , but dont want us to go , i feel very selfish on times, as my family are not that wealthy, and will probally not be able to afford to come over for visits, but i have to think of my childrens future, we will never know if its the right move until we try it , dont you think?
We live in south wales, we own a 4 bedroom house on a lovely new estate, which we own outright, we have just rented it out as we decided it is safer to do just in case it doesnt work out and when we decide we love it in oz or hate it ?we will then sell.
Yes christies beach area is lovely , but quite sleepy, we prefer glenelg -brighton, but its a little pricier, but brighton school is one of the best around so im told, also Adelaide high is fantastic, but dont really want to live in the city, you have to be in the catchment area to send them to the schools. alot to find out still, but christies beach is fab.
Anyway speak to you again.

sunworshipper Aug 17th 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by michelle6266 (Post 7848027)
Hi the interviews were so laid back you didnt feel you were at a interview ,they just want to make sure you realize how difficult the move will be , and how committed you are ,the fitness is solid, i was there and you can watch to give support, but they take the fitness very serious, the situps was the hardest and if my husband had to do one more he would of failed,and he is very fit.
The family are very mixed , dont blame us , but dont want us to go , i feel very selfish on times, as my family are not that wealthy, and will probally not be able to afford to come over for visits, but i have to think of my childrens future, we will never know if its the right move until we try it , dont you think?
We live in south wales, we own a 4 bedroom house on a lovely new estate, which we own outright, we have just rented it out as we decided it is safer to do just in case it doesnt work out and when we decide we love it in oz or hate it ?we will then sell.
Yes christies beach area is lovely , but quite sleepy, we prefer glenelg -brighton, but its a little pricier, but brighton school is one of the best around so im told, also Adelaide high is fantastic, but dont really want to live in the city, you have to be in the catchment area to send them to the schools. alot to find out still, but christies beach is fab.
Anyway speak to you again.

Hi Michelle
I think your right that you should try it in Oz.... as you say you'll never know if you don't, and you may always regret not going.
Your in a great position with owning your house!! wow your so lucky!! I think it's a great idea to rent it out and then you know that if you do want to return then you still have your home!
I've been looking at areas and schools again! there is so much research to do! i just want to be prepared in case we get as far as an interview!!!
Well all the best for now:)

michelle6266 Aug 18th 2009 4:59 pm

Hi there.
Have you heard of your interview dates yet ? hope you are lucky , we were back and forth to london at least 3 times close together , which is difficult when your trying to fit in work also, but its worth it , im self employed here a mobile hairdresser, hoping to do the same in oz, it would be easier to fit in with the school hours, and if you dont work you wont meet people, are you hoping to work in oz?, what do you do at the moment ? .
Ive been checking out the schools also its alot to try and take in, it seems to be lots of private education out there, but even the goverment schools there are fees which in the uk we dont have , but the standard is very high , check out brighton high and adelaide high both good schools, alot going on for your childrens ages.
good luck.

sunworshipper Aug 19th 2009 8:54 am

Hi Michelle

no we don't hear if we have got through to the interview stage until the 11th September:fingerscrossed:

I've looked at those schools you have suggested and they do look great! especially as there not even private schools!!!
I am a dental nurse and would want to work. I've looked at different websites and there does seem to be quite a few jobs advertised in Adelaide so that is encouraging!!!
Hairdressing is in short supply in Australia and is on the jobs wanted list so that's great for you! you will be in demand i'm sure. You can cut my familys hair if we ever get there!!!!
We are going to Spain on the 27th August for 16 days so won't be posting on here until we get home but i will keep in touch and let you know if we get through to the interviews and fitness!!!
Take care:)

michelle6266 Aug 23rd 2009 5:34 pm

Hi there,
How you doing,hope you are lucky with an interview , dont be suprised if you dont here on the 11th ,we didnt here on the date given ,so spent the whole week later disappointed, then around a week later it turns up , the good news, and the whole process has been the same , so keep checking, fingers crossed for you .:fingerscrossed:
Hey that would be no problem cutting your familys hair when we get there ,hopefully thats what i will continue doing ,it suits school hours , but will probally take something part time until it picks up .
Have a great time in spain ,talk to you when you get back.:D:D

sunworshipper Aug 23rd 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Michelle lovely to hear from you again! thanks for the advice regarding hearing from Sapol, i know they are not always on the ball! we didn't even get the e mail to invite O/H to London for the exam!! we thought he hadn't got through the papersift, so we e mailed asking if there was any feedback as to why he didn't get through and low and behold they said they had sent an e mail!!!! but we didn't receive it!!!
Will be off to Spain on Thursday so will be busy packing! as soon as i hear anything will post straight away! take care xx:)

Getmedownunder Sep 1st 2009 3:09 pm

Has anyone received a response from SAPOL re interviews? I sat the exam at the at the start of August and I am currently awaiting the results.

I received an email this week stating that some applicants had received their results. However, mine had still not been returned, but that SAPOL would notify me as soon as they were received.

sunworshipper Sep 3rd 2009 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Getmedownunder (Post 7894248)
Has anyone received a response from SAPOL re interviews? I sat the exam at the at the start of August and I am currently awaiting the results.

I received an email this week stating that some applicants had received their results. However, mine had still not been returned, but that SAPOL would notify me as soon as they were received.

YES YES YES we got an e mail this morning!!! logged on to internet cafe in sunny spain!!!! cant believe it!!!!!! :thumbsup::D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Getmedownunder Sep 3rd 2009 10:09 pm

Well done Sunworship. Likewise, I got my email today too confirming I'd passed the exam (sighs with relief). Good luck with the next stage.

Charlie389 Sep 9th 2009 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Getmedownunder (Post 7902174)
Well done Sunworship. Likewise, I got my email today too confirming I'd passed the exam (sighs with relief). Good luck with the next stage.

I got my e mail too, got interview and fitness test in London on 7th Ocotber. Just need to get the nack of the sit ups, the rest should be no worries. Good luck folks. Maybe see you there on the 7th?

michelle6266 Sep 9th 2009 2:30 pm

We were interviewed in january, we were successful , and had our letter of employment in feb, just getting all our medicals done know then send for our visas leaving in march:thumbsup:.
Hope you are successful, :fingerscrossed:.

sunworshipper Sep 13th 2009 10:04 pm

Hi everyone we are down on the 2nd October for interview and fitness :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

michelle6266 Sep 14th 2009 7:22 am

Hi there, great to here you got through,:fingerscrossed:, hope you had a good holiday, we've got our medicals tomorrow, hope everything goes ok ,there have been people who have failed who should of started september,oh well whats to be will be .

sunworshipper Sep 14th 2009 1:48 pm

Good luck for your medicals! sure you will be ok!!:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

We had a fab holiday!! sun, sea, sand, barby's!! sound familar??

I love the good weather it changes how you live your life!

sunworshipper Sep 25th 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Michelle

how did the medicals go??????

This time next week the interview and fitness will be all over!:thumbsup:

michelle6266 Sep 26th 2009 7:37 am

Hi sunworshipper,
Medicals were fine, some of the tests they do you think what an earth is that for, but theres a reason of course, the doctor was really nice , if your children are over 15 or close to 15 get them done before they are ,as they dont have to have bloods taken then and you also have to pay adult prices for them also , they havent told us the results yet, think it all went well though, it will be wise for you to shop around the chosen medical list, as we went to bristol, it cost £500 there for us all, but in cardiff where it would of been much easier for us,it was double.
Good luck with your interviews and fitness ,the interviews were very laid back ,but the interview they take very serious, good luck to you.
Speak soon let me know how it goes.
Michelle.

sunworshipper Oct 2nd 2009 10:15 pm

My O/H had his interview and physical today, we felt like it went well. The Sapol staff were lovely!!

We really enjoyed the drinks in the pub afterwards and meeting some lovely people!!! especially getmedownunder and his partner!!!!

Can't wait for the results now, let's hope we recieve them before the info day!!!!:fingerscrossed:

madogs and Irish Men Oct 3rd 2009 8:44 am

Hi Sunworshipper,

Glad to hear things went well for you both. My OH unfortunately wont be able to make it with me for the fitness & interview. (she has a very long patient list)

So I will be on my own for that one. But we are both intending going to the Info day if we are lucky enough to get an invite and a job offer.

So :fingerscrossed: I will see you there at the Info day and I can try to work out exactly who you and your OH are ?? :confused:.

Cheers for now

sunworshipper Oct 3rd 2009 3:32 pm

Hi madogs and Irish Men

I take it you have not had your interview yet so good luck! but don't worry it is fine, and all the Sapol staff are really nice and very friendy.

We are both going to the information day so will try and look out for you! We will both have to wear name badges!!

We were told at our interview that we won't hear if O/H has a job offer until Monday 12th Oct!!! but to still come to the information day. Although the staff said after the physical that they will try their best to get the e mails out by the end of the week, so who knows??
Anyway good luck:fingerscrossed:

madogs and Irish Men Oct 4th 2009 7:37 am

Hi Sunworshipper,

Yep your right my Interview and physical is next week.

I have PM'd you so you'll know who I am. (match the name Badges)

Cheers

michelle6266 Oct 4th 2009 11:21 am

Hi every one hope every things going ok with your interviews and fitness :fingerscrossed:.
We are a little infront of you guys got the job, just had the medicals and passed :thumbup:, Hope everything goes ok for you all and are joining us soon.
Michelle + Darren

sunworshipper Oct 4th 2009 12:30 pm

Yes i hope we are joining you too:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie389 Oct 4th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by sunworshipper (Post 7988070)
Yes i hope we are joining you too:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best to you all.

Sadly I have failed the medical, due to "being an operational police officer would cause an increased risk to my condition" despite the fact I've been a police officer for nearly 5 years working in Glasgow, one of the most violent cities in Europe apparently. I am absolutely gutted, as is my wife, just need to figure out plan B!

Good luck to you all.

sunworshipper Oct 4th 2009 9:05 pm

Oh no Charlie!! That's terrible news!! you must both be absolutely gutted.
I really am so sorry to hear this awful news. I hope you have a plan B and if you have then i wish you all the luck and best wishes with it.
All the best Sunworshipper:(

Getmedownunder Oct 6th 2009 9:57 pm

Oh the agonising! Friday cannot come soon enough!:blink:

It was great to meet up with all the candidates on Oct 2nd in London, all of whom seemed perfect candidates for recruitment. It would be great if we all got selected.:fingerscrossed:

Special thanks to Simon for helping my nerves and pushing me through the fitness test. It turned out to be much harder than expected due to the whole nervous energy thing going on. I hope I get another chance to meet up with everyone again, especially sunworshiper and her OH!! :thumbup:

Out of interest, does anyone know how many officer's SAPOL are looking to recruit during this intake? I did read on the net that SAPOL are approx 154 short of reaching their 2010 target.

It makes very encouraging reading for current applicants. (see below)

The global financial crisis has hit the force`s famed UK recruitment drive, forcing British recruits to cancel as they wait longer for their houses to sell, Mr Hyde said.

Others have simply cancelled because of the changing circumstances.

"I cannot give you an ironclad guarantee that we will reach (our target)," Mr Hyde told Parliament`s Budget and Finance Committee.

"All we can do is give you an assurance that we will be trying to reach it."

Mr Hyde last year told the Committee the force needed to reach 4300 by June this year if it was to reach the State Government`s target of 4400 officers by next year (2010).

However, while the existing 4244 sworn officers falls short of the target, Mr Hyde said the current 185 trainees in the academy showed "we can recruit, but we have difficulty in getting them precisely when we want them".

Police Minister Michael Wright said he did not accept the Commissioner`s prognosis for police numbers.

"We have the most ambitious recruiting strategy in the State`s history and we`re confident we will reach our 2010 target of 4400 sworn police," he said in a written statement. "The facts are South Australia currently has more operational police than ever before . . . Since coming to office, we have recruited over 500 extra police."

But Police Association president Mark Carroll said police recruitment techniques should be reviewed in light of the "likely" shortfall.

"If a substantial shortfall in numbers does eventuate, then there will certainly be a need to review SAPOL recruitment policy, particularly in light of the four years SAPOL has had to meet the government`s commitment," he said.

"A strong focus should apply to local recruitment – particularly of young people – in conjunction with UK recruiting, which the association has supported, as those officers bring a wealth of police experience to South Australia."

Very best wishes to everyone in the process.

S & L

Getmedownunder Oct 6th 2009 10:13 pm

Just read your post Charlie. I am so sorry for you and your wife. I hope 'plan B' goes well for you. Wishing you and your wife better news in the future.. S & L :fingerscrossed:

sunworshipper Oct 7th 2009 9:36 am

Hi S + L!!!!!!
God this waiting is driving us mad!!!! we can't concentrate on anything else!!!
i hope we have news before Sunday!

We will look out for you both on Sunday if we get good news!:fingerscrossed:

Let us know if you hear anything and we will do the same!!!:fingerscrossed:

chris_n_lisa Oct 8th 2009 10:34 am

Hi guys,

Lisa and I are new members on here....although we have been reading the threads about the SAPOL 2010 recruitment drive for a while now.

We went to London yesterday for the interview and fitness test. It was harder than I was imagining....especially on the partners who had to sit and watch as their dreams of Oz were solely resting on our efforts! There was one poor guy who didnt have the legs for the bleep test and dropped out at about level 7. We all cheered him on until he finally dropped out and then there was a bit of an awkward silence as we all felt really bad for him....knowing how it must feel to go through all the hard work up until now and to fall right at the last hurdle :(

I thought i'd post about something the interviewer said to Lisa and I about numbers of applicants and jobs available. I guess you'd probably all like to know during the long wait before we are told!

Apparently there are 40+ places available (he said + because the total number is decided by immigration and they might allow a few more than 40) and about 70 applicants. So this makes for quite good odds I guess.

The guy also said he is hoping to ring around today (Thursday) and let people know if they have got the job. If not today they would like to tell everyone by the end of tomorrow (Friday). So pretty soon!

Good luck everyone and hopefully we will see you at the academy in April! :fingerscrossed:

sunworshipper Oct 8th 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Chris + Lisa

Well done on getting this far!!
I just wanted to say that on the day we went scott told us that there were 70 applicants and jobs available for EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

OMG only 40+!!!!!!!

We are so stressed out at the moment, we can't concentrate on anything!!!!! Let's hope we hear some good news soon!!!:fingerscrossed: