Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Still waiting folks

it seems like theres alot of pressure in CID Duffers, i hope it works out alright matey.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jeffsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Baz
You probably would be better off in uniform, though it has its negatives sides, you do tend to get left alone more on your time off (at least you did when i was there).

If your talking about Brandon he got sacked in 2006 or so, but he is a relative of one of the chief's, so he managed to get his job back after the senior officer who sacked him left. He came back as an Auxillary, but obviously he has got his red stripe back again now. God help the RCIP!
Duffers wish I could help you out mate.
Think if they dont offer me FCU I will give it a miss.
Only last night my wife was saying 'What will I do all day if I cant get a job' !!
Couldnt answer her.

Jeffsey
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:45 pm
Banned

Duffers1273 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stenev, Thanks for the pm it's nice to know I'm not the only one who's experienced the rough end of things here.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

mbeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Hi,

I have an interview this Wednesday for the RCIPS - been doing lots of research internet, talking to officers who have served from UK, still serving in CI (local and expat) but stumbled across this site. EK..........lots of tales here.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who is going through the interview process or had an interview at the beginning of the month?

Jeffsey or anyone else out there, anything positive out there at all? I know the location is amazing and I really don't mind work, mucking in where its needed but my own time is well important as work....... I have applied for a DC post. My plan is to take a 2 year career break from my force, rent my house out and review it from there staying long term if it suits.

My motivation for move is for work development and being very sporty loving the outdoors, for running, triathlon etc thought the lifestyle would suit me? I am happy with my force and I don't mind adapting, soaking up the experience but I would like to have some time off. RCIPS have told me they are recruiting 5 DCs and if they get more that pass the interview they will be them on a reserve list.

I've been checking out the Cayman Compass daily as well for activity and the gun crime doesn't concern me as nothing compared to here, but the work practise does with how things are managed from what is written on this thread does.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

stenev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mbeb
Hi,

I have an interview this Wednesday for the RCIPS - been doing lots of research internet, talking to officers who have served from UK, still serving in CI (local and expat) but stumbled across this site. EK..........lots of tales here.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who is going through the interview process or had an interview at the beginning of the month?

Jeffsey or anyone else out there, anything positive out there at all? I know the location is amazing and I really don't mind work, mucking in where its needed but my own time is well important as work....... I have applied for a DC post. My plan is to take a 2 year career break from my force, rent my house out and review it from there staying long term if it suits.

My motivation for move is for work development and being very sporty loving the outdoors, for running, triathlon etc thought the lifestyle would suit me? I am happy with my force and I don't mind adapting, soaking up the experience but I would like to have some time off. RCIPS have told me they are recruiting 5 DCs and if they get more that pass the interview they will be them on a reserve list.

I've been checking out the Cayman Compass daily as well for activity and the gun crime doesn't concern me as nothing compared to here, but the work practise does with how things are managed from what is written on this thread does.
Hi mbeb,

yes there's lots of positives (in my humble opinion, others clearly disagree) of being in caymen, however also many negatives. If you expect career development- well don't bother - unless you join a unit that you won't have the opportunity to do in the Uk ie, Marine Unit or firearms (USG). I think CID in caymen is a rough deal!. However if you like the outdoor life,sport, the ocean , run/swim/bike etc it's the dogs nuts! If you can come out on a career break you have nothing to lose and only a life experience to gain... if you have the right attitude that is - clearly many don't. I spent 2 years there, now back policing in the Uk and now re-applying to cayman - glutten for punishment i think lol, but anything's better than dealing with council estate scrotes killing each other on a rainy day lol
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

stenev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

Just thought some of you may be interested, I've just had an email from a mate of mine who is in the rcip and has been out there since 2006, so a good 4 years worth of real experience. They know i've re-applied and that i'm on this forum, so they've taken a look. Their comment to me about the forum was and i quote..... "I took a look this week & couldn't believe the crap I was reading - apart from your posts it all looks like lies"..... My mate also said in relation to 'copout' and 'sundried' ..... and i quote " Who are they?
Do you think they've actually been out here? "
So all i can say to prospective applicants i have friends out there who have renewed their contracts 3 times ( 6 years ) so don't let those who couldn't hack it spoil your chances.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:04 am
Banned

Copout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stenev
Hi folks,

Just thought some of you may be interested, I've just had an email from a mate of mine who is in the rcip and has been out there since 2006, so a good 4 years worth of real experience. They know i've re-applied and that i'm on this forum, so they've taken a look. Their comment to me about the forum was and i quote..... "I took a look this week & couldn't believe the crap I was reading - apart from your posts it all looks like lies"..... My mate also said in relation to 'copout' and 'sundried' ..... and i quote " Who are they?
So all i can say to prospective applicants i have friends out there who have renewed their contracts 3 times ( 6 years ) so don't let those who couldn't hack it spoil your chances.
Ummm... I think that's the idea of writing under a pseudonym
You know, so people don't know who you are... get it?

Probably not. You don't strike me as the sharpest tool in the box. Can't even spell 'Cayman'. Here's hoping you didn't make that balls up on your application form eh?

And one more thing, I've hacked it there mate, done my time and left, and won't be going back. As opposed to someone who doesn't really know what they want, UK is too rough for them, go to CayMAN, ohh... things not working out return to UK, ooohh, don't like it here either, return to CayMAN.

Ever thought maybe you're in the wrong job, as opposed to the wrong country? Why not forge a career in watersport adventures? They're not as strict on spelling I hear....
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:54 am
Banned

SUN DRIED is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

Stenev,
I've hacked it for more years than you did. You are being very naive if you think it's the same as it was in 2006 violent crime has greatly increased and morale greatly decreased. I too still have contacts out there and probably know your mate who is accusing me of lying. The whole reason for having usernames is so that people can't identify you and you can express opinions anonymously. This seems to have been lost on you as you have identified exactly who you are the only thing that's missing is a photo of you and your address!. Are you hoping that the RCIP bosses read your posts and decide we must have Stenev back immediately we'll put him in charge of PR and give him a personal issue Jet ski?. It could be to your detriment because the RCIP value UK experience (in the interview anyway) and the RCIP under Baines is following UK policing trends, all you've done is slag off your UK force.

Check out this thread, it seems someone else doesn't hold the RCIP in the same high esteem as you :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663981
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

lils is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SUN DRIED
Stenev,
I've hacked it for more years than you did. You are being very naive if you think it's the same as it was in 2006 violent crime has greatly increased and morale greatly decreased. I too still have contacts out there and probably know your mate who is accusing me of lying. The whole reason for having usernames is so that people can't identify you and you can express opinions anonymously. This seems to have been lost on you as you have identified exactly who you are the only thing that's missing is a photo of you and your address!. Are you hoping that the RCIP bosses read your posts and decide we must have Stenev back immediately we'll put him in charge of PR and give him a personal issue Jet ski?. It could be to your detriment because the RCIP value UK experience (in the interview anyway) and the RCIP under Baines is following UK policing trends, all you've done is slag off your UK force.

Check out this thread, it seems someone else doesn't hold the RCIP in the same high esteem as you :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663981
Dear Copout

Your username speaks for itself.

You seem to be the type who looks down on everyone who does not hold the same opinion as yourself.

why dont you try for a change giving a balanced opinion instead of personally attacking others for a minor mistake or perhaps your so perfect you cannot tolerate the slightest imperfection. It appears you are far to good for the RCIP. The old saying "There goes the next Chief Constable" srings to mind.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:18 pm
Banned

Copout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lils
Dear Copout

You seem to be the type who looks down on everyone who does not hold the same opinion as yourself.

why dont you try for a change giving a balanced opinion instead of personally attacking others for a minor mistake or perhaps your so perfect you cannot tolerate the slightest imperfection. It appears you are far to good for the RCIP. The old saying "There goes the next Chief Constable" srings to mind.
Umm...Dear Lils,
Why have you quoted a Sundried post then focused on me???????
Oops!

Okay, forget what I said and hear this. Everything else I said is a lie:

The RCIP is a wonderfully progressive and developed organisation.
Any officer lucky enough to win a contract there will not regret it. Your skills and experience will be put to great use and you will be a valued and appreciated member of the team.
Not only you will be rewarded with development opportunities, but your job satisfaction will rival any profession.

Crime is very low. Members of the public will hold you in great esteem. Even more so as you're British.
There is a good chance you will be required to provide a high vis presence on Seven Mile Beach to ensure the tourists are well catered for.
However, it can get hot, so drinking in the many bars is encouraged to help cool off. And more often than not, it's free of charge.
Nb. It's an accepted order that only 2 beers are allowed whilst on duty.

I also hear they will have a quad patrol for incidents on the beach. Like when a leggy blonde is overcome with sun stroke. In the event a swimmer get's into trouble, Stenev will be on hand with his jetski.

On night duty you can generally sleep for the full tour, very rearly a call will come out to a minor disturbance. However, one of your local colleagues will generally do the honors and you can relax. The locals are very helpful and accomodating that way.

The RCIP is THE best police posting in the entire World.
I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done so to apply.

There you all go. Just what you wanted to hear.
Will everyone be my friend now...?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

lils is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Copout
Umm...Dear Lils,
Why have you quoted a Sundried post then focused on me???????
Oops!

Okay, forget what I said and hear this. Everything else I said is a lie:

The RCIP is a wonderfully progressive and developed organisation.
Any officer lucky enough to win a contract there will not regret it. Your skills and experience will be put to great use and you will be a valued and appreciated member of the team.
Not only you will be rewarded with development opportunities, but your job satisfaction will rival any profession.

Crime is very low. Members of the public will hold you in great esteem. Even more so as you're British.
There is a good chance you will be required to provide a high vis presence on Seven Mile Beach to ensure the tourists are well catered for.
However, it can get hot, so drinking in the many bars is encouraged to help cool off. And more often than not, it's free of charge.
Nb. It's an accepted order that only 2 beers are allowed whilst on duty.

I also hear they will have a quad patrol for incidents on the beach. Like when a leggy blonde is overcome with sun stroke. In the event a swimmer get's into trouble, Stenev will be on hand with his jetski.

On night duty you can generally sleep for the full tour, very rearly a call will come out to a minor disturbance. However, one of your local colleagues will generally do the honors and you can relax. The locals are very helpful and accomodating that way.

The RCIP is THE best police posting in the entire World.
I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done so to apply.

There you all go. Just what you wanted to hear.
Will everyone be my friend now...?
You missed the other obvious mistake srings/springs
Try and keep up?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jeffsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on guys (That's assuming we are all guys of course and apologies if we are not) wherever you look in life there will always be good and bad and what one person might not like, another might not have an issue with. Take it as you find it springs to mind albeit we have to be there to be able to say that.
No....I aint no peacemaker, after all I am merely at the interview stage and might not ever get out there. You can look on the 'tripadvisor' holidays web site and be totally confused when you read good and bad about the same destination. Clearly some of you did not like it and others did. Read between the lines and it becomes clear what the issues may be. Weigh everything up and decide 'Shall I go for it or no?'.
Here endeth the sermon !!

Jeffsey
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:33 pm
Banned

SUN DRIED is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lils
Dear Copout

Lils,

When you want to quote someone you click on the quote button under their post. There is also a free spell check facility when you post. Your comment 'It appears you are far to good for the RCIP' is so true most Brits are but the lure of the sun is powerful thing. A trained chimp with dyslexia and one arm tied behind it's back would probably be too good as well. Some RCIP Officers are semi literate (this is no exaggeration) and that's not just the PC's, you will probably fit right in with your spelling challenges.

You came on here asking for information about the RCIP prior to your interview and you are getting a varied balanced view. The one who is asking for information should not be so dismissive of people who have lived and worked there and are taking the time to pass on information to you. People have different experiences and it seems Stenev was lucky and managed to quickly get on the Marine Unit.I have actually recommended the place to ESTM via pm (ask him) - he's young single and has no ties, I've pointed out the pitfalls and given him my opinion so he's forewarned as to what goes on out there. I thought a couple of years there might suit him.

Maybe you should take a trip out there and see how small the island is, how expensive it is to live, read the local papers for details of the latest armed robbery or shooting and how few jobs there are for non Caymanians (don't know if you are planning on taking anyone with you). Hire a car and make sure you have a drive around Dog City, West Bay, Windsor Park and the School Road area near George Town. You'll be able to form your own opinion instead of relying on others views.

I believe myself and Copout were well tempered in our replies after being called liars on a public forum.......
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive just got to say i have really appreciated everyones views on here, otherwise there would be no point of a discussion forum right?

Now if you asked me about my situation at the moment regarding my life then nothings moving onward in anyway shape or form, so i need to do something about it.

Sundried & Copout youve both been a great help is answering my pm questions and along with others on here. Based on whats been said on this forum im still willing to give it a go and judge the place for myself purely for the reasons Sundried has mentioned, ie single, no dependants etc

Every persons situation is different and it just so happens that working for the RCIP is something that at this particular moment really appeals to me.

Ive been doing research on both Bermuda & Cayman for years now so id say ive read some interesting comments in that time. Ive got nothing to lose.

I hope people make the right decision if given the chance

All the best

ESTM
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

mbeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mbeb,

yes there's lots of positives (in my humble opinion, others clearly disagree) of being in caymen, however also many negatives. If you expect career development- well don't bother - unless you join a unit that you won't have the opportunity to do in the Uk ie, Marine Unit or firearms (USG). I think CID in caymen is a rough deal!. However if you like the outdoor life,sport, the ocean , run/swim/bike etc it's the dogs nuts! If you can come out on a career break you have nothing to lose and only a life experience to gain... if you have the right attitude that is - clearly many don't. I spent 2 years there, now back policing in the Uk and now re-applying to cayman - glutten for punishment i think lol, but anything's better than dealing with council estate scrotes killing each other on a rainy day lol
Hey - thanks for reply. Having read everything here (on the whole forum!!) - I think my decision is still the same - if I get it and my force give me my career break I'm off.....like others single no dependants so lots more to gain then lose I think.

There are "negatives to everything" as well as positives - just it just depends how you adapt to them I guess.

If I do it get it, I will be back on here asking lots of questions relocation related - hope peeps don't mind!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.