Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:20 pm
Banned

Duffers1273 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Guys,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while but thanks to Cable and Wireless (Unable and Clueless - that is a recurring theme out here!) I am still waiting for a phone and an internet connection - I could use my 'cell' phone but as I'm only on 53K and can't afford it so I use the computer at work. My DS found me using the computer at work and went off on one - a bit rich considering he's hardly even in the Office. The 'DS' (Unable and Clueless) is 24 and local he has 3 years in the Job and is related to a Chief Inspector which is why he was promoted beyond his capabilities.....

There was a 'ramraid' at 4.30am and I was called by the nights Inspector - also Unable and Clueless - ordering me to work for a 6am briefing. I'm still trying to work why it couldn't wait until I was in at 8.

So, sorry I haven't been able to answer many questions, will try and log back on when the 'DS leaves the office....

Baz, I tried a roti and it tasted good but then I was sick for 2 days - you must have a stronger constitution than me, I'll stick to the Patties thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

gloxton is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Cayman and it's worrying to read reports like this from people who have worked for RCIP.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:55 am
Just Joined

lils is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gloxton
I live in Cayman and it's worrying to read reports like this from people who have worked for RCIP.
HI gloxton

I would appreciate some local input into life in Cayman. Where to live,cost of living, your view of ex pats in your police etc. You have to appreciate that this is a big move for people and adapting to life in different locations can be difficult. Policing as a career can be difficult enough and police in general all over the world share a common bond, for someone non police it may appear worring.

Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:58 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Duffers1273
Guys,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while but thanks to Cable and Wireless (Unable and Clueless - that is a recurring theme out here!) I am still waiting for a phone and an internet connection - I could use my 'cell' phone but as I'm only on 53K and can't afford it so I use the computer at work. My DS found me using the computer at work and went off on one - a bit rich considering he's hardly even in the Office. The 'DS' (Unable and Clueless) is 24 and local he has 3 years in the Job and is related to a Chief Inspector which is why he was promoted beyond his capabilities.....

There was a 'ramraid' at 4.30am and I was called by the nights Inspector - also Unable and Clueless - ordering me to work for a 6am briefing. I'm still trying to work why it couldn't wait until I was in at 8.

So, sorry I haven't been able to answer many questions, will try and log back on when the 'DS leaves the office....

Baz, I tried a roti and it tasted good but then I was sick for 2 days - you must have a stronger constitution than me, I'll stick to the Patties thanks.
DUFFERS, have sent you a PM mate.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Jeffsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

Duffers.
What are currently paying for rent over there and are you there with wife/partner?
Have calculator in my hand trying to calculate if being over there is financially worthwhile once rental payments are deducted.

Jeffsey
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeffsey
Duffers.
What are currently paying for rent over there and are you there with wife/partner?
Have calculator in my hand trying to calculate if being over there is financially worthwhile once rental payments are deducted.

Jeffsey

I pay KY$2650 per month for a nice 2 bed 2 bath place in South Sound where there is a communal pool. It does suit me and the wife. She is still trying to get a job but it's not easy with work permits and the fact that locals get first refusal on all jobs.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

I pay KY$2650 per month for a nice 2 bed 2 bath place in South Sound where there is a communal pool. It does suit me and the wife. She is still trying to get a job but it's not easy with work permits and the fact that locals get first refusal on all jobs.
So does that leave approx CI$2,500 per month to live off and if so is that ample.Appreciate you are having to look over your shoulder to see if the DS is around!!

Any regrets up to now! What service do you have and what force have you come from?

Cheers Jeffsey (Will treat you if I get there !!)
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:32 pm
Banned

So does that leave approx CI$2,500 per month to live off and if so is that ample.Appreciate you are having to look over your shoulder to see if the DS is around!!

Any regrets up to now! What service do you have and what force have you come from?

53K per year and 2,650 rent leaves me 1800 to live on - it is 'do-able' but I'm not living the high life...... I came from TVP and have 14 years service. I've had second thoughts and as I said before the Jury is still out. If I wasn't working all the hours with a bunch of incompetants it would be better and the wife would be happier!.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

53K per year and 2,650 rent leaves me 1800 to live on - it is 'do-able' but I'm not living the high life...... I came from TVP and have 14 years service. I've had second thoughts and as I said before the Jury is still out. If I wasn't working all the hours with a bunch of incompetants it would be better and the wife would be happier!.
Take it you are still not on the internet yet cos could e mail you.
I hope to get CID or FCU with 30 years service.Would you know if my salary would be approx what you are getting. Guess your job would be made easier with more experience around you is there no other Dc's with you?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:10 pm
Banned

Jeffsey - Just to add Electricity is about $300 p/m, water $60, Internet (when I get it $100 for a slow service.
Grocery bill is effectively double due to Import duties about $400
A car cost lots to run and you need one and there is only a bus service along 7 mile beach.

I do work with several DC's, DS's and DI's the problem is that that you cannot equate their experience to that in the UK......
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:14 pm
Banned

Jeffsey - Just to add Electricity is about $300 p/m, water $60, Internet (when I get it) $100 for a slow service.bThe ohone is $60 before you make any calls.
Grocery bill is effectively double due to Import duties about $400
A car cost lots to run and you need one and there is only a bus service along 7 mile beach.

I do work with several DC's, DS's and DI's the problem is that that you cannot equate their experience to that in the UK......
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

IslandGal is an unknown quantity at this point

How is Gerraint? Tell him Jeffsey says 'Hi' and has an interview for Cayman Is 28th July.
Small world! I will certainly pass it on your message to Geraint. He is off-island at the moment as Jackie and the girls were due to arrive today so he went to Ascension on the RMS to surprise them and accompany them back here. The ship is arriving today at some point so we'll see them soon hopefully. It was all a bit sticky as Jackie's flight was diverted to Dakar, of all places, due to an engine breakdown - scary! Luckily she got to Ascension in time. I think the surprise was ruined by someone from here who'd been in the UK and had heard from a mate back home that Geraint was coming to meet Jackie. He was on the same flight as her and didn't know it was supposed to be a surprise and let the cat out of the bag! Good luck with your interview!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IslandGal
Small world! I will certainly pass it on your message to Geraint. He is off-island at the moment as Jackie and the girls were due to arrive today so he went to Ascension on the RMS to surprise them and accompany them back here. The ship is arriving today at some point so we'll see them soon hopefully. It was all a bit sticky as Jackie's flight was diverted to Dakar, of all places, due to an engine breakdown - scary! Luckily she got to Ascension in time. I think the surprise was ruined by someone from here who'd been in the UK and had heard from a mate back home that Geraint was coming to meet Jackie. He was on the same flight as her and didn't know it was supposed to be a surprise and let the cat out of the bag! Good luck with your interview!
Thanks vm. Hope all is well with him at least he knows how to make contact.
Jeffsey
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:04 pm
Banned

Sorry for the lack of contact guys but - yet again - the sh!t has hit that fan and I'm wondering if there is any such thing as being "off duty" at this place.
There was another shooting during the middle of the night earlier this week, apparently a burglar was shot by the home owner. Not a bad thing I suppose.
But, there's me thinking if I turn my phone off they won't be able to contact me, nice plan, you may think.... However, I hear this banging on my door at about 3am, the misses thought it was a burglar, I look out the window and see blue lights flashing and a numpty PC throwing ****ing pebbles at my window!!! Idiot, Pc Phillips is his name. Watch out for him if you come over.
Anyway ,it turns out these two patrol officers were taken off the cordons to go and locate every available CID officer to parade again at 6am for another emergency briefing.
Anyway, I have no alternative but to parade again for a briefing. Nothing was accomplished, took a few witness statements from people claiming they never saw/heard anything and that was that.
The little hitler of a skipper I got pulled me up and suggested I keep my phone switched ON in future so I can be easily contactable. When I got smart with him and reminded him this job doesn't pay me to have the phone, he mumbled something and stormed off.

Next thing I know the DI wants to see me and gave me the speech about "over here things are done differently to back home and blah blah blah.." Dont' get me wrong he wasn't nasty or anything, but he did tell me I'd need to comform better. I just told him back home we wouldn't get called in and not recompensed for it etc... He then went on to say that was my problem, I'm always comparing it to back home.
I felt it was time then to express myself a bit better so explained: The thing that ****s me off (with all due respect) You want me for my experience I gained "Back home", but at the same time, I'm not allowed to mention the term "Back home". Can you not see the flaw? He then went on about give and take, and ended up saying if I didn't like it there's plenty of uniform officers that would love to join CID and how he could arrange a swap!

My misses has suggested she returns home for 2 months to help me settle into the job a bit more. We seem to be arguing more due to the strain. The plan being, she comes back and by that time things have settled down a bit and we get some more quality time. She's still not got a job either so maybe it's for the best.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, needed to let off some steam!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:15 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Sorry for the lack of contact guys but - yet again - the sh!t has hit that fan and I'm wondering if there is any such thing as being "off duty" at this place.
There was another shooting during the middle of the night earlier this week, apparently a burglar was shot by the home owner. Not a bad thing I suppose.
But, there's me thinking if I turn my phone off they won't be able to contact me, nice plan, you may think.... However, I hear this banging on my door at about 3am, the misses thought it was a burglar, I look out the window and see blue lights flashing and a numpty PC throwing ****ing pebbles at my window!!! Idiot, Pc Phillips is his name. Watch out for him if you come over.
Anyway ,it turns out these two patrol officers were taken off the cordons to go and locate every available CID officer to parade again at 6am for another emergency briefing.
Anyway, I have no alternative but to parade again for a briefing. Nothing was accomplished, took a few witness statements from people claiming they never saw/heard anything and that was that.
The little hitler of a skipper I got pulled me up and suggested I keep my phone switched ON in future so I can be easily contactable. When I got smart with him and reminded him this job doesn't pay me to have the phone, he mumbled something and stormed off.

Next thing I know the DI wants to see me and gave me the speech about "over here things are done differently to back home and blah blah blah.." Dont' get me wrong he wasn't nasty or anything, but he did tell me I'd need to comform better. I just told him back home we wouldn't get called in and not recompensed for it etc... He then went on to say that was my problem, I'm always comparing it to back home.
I felt it was time then to express myself a bit better so explained: The thing that ****s me off (with all due respect) You want me for my experience I gained "Back home", but at the same time, I'm not allowed to mention the term "Back home". Can you not see the flaw? He then went on about give and take, and ended up saying if I didn't like it there's plenty of uniform officers that would love to join CID and how he could arrange a swap!

My misses has suggested she returns home for 2 months to help me settle into the job a bit more. We seem to be arguing more due to the strain. The plan being, she comes back and by that time things have settled down a bit and we get some more quality time. She's still not got a job either so maybe it's for the best.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, needed to let off some steam!
You probably would be better off in uniform, though it has its negatives sides, you do tend to get left alone more on your time off (at least you did when i was there).

If your talking about Brandon he got sacked in 2006 or so, but he is a relative of one of the chief's, so he managed to get his job back after the senior officer who sacked him left. He came back as an Auxillary, but obviously he has got his red stripe back again now. God help the RCIP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.