References

Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Chawky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default References

Hi Folks;

What's the score regarding references when applying for EPS or CPS (when available). I've recently, tentatively approached a couple of former line managers to make them aware of the potential future need to supply a reference and I've been quoted police regulations that they can't supply a reference. I did nearly 24 years service in UK police and left last year, so have umpteen line managers that I could conceivably choose from.

How does that pan out with regard to applications? I gather you have to supply quite a number of references. The feedback I have been given is your force will only give you a list of service dates or your hr dept might summarise locations, postings and dates in certificate form.

Cheers

Chawk
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: References

Don't get too hung up on line managers being the only ones suitable for providing references.

Were any of those 'line managers' friends too ? What about other colleagues who have known you for 10 years for example? What about friends who have nothing to do with the police?

Are you talking about the character references. Does your paperwork specifically say it has to be supervisors only? A healthy sprinkling of personalities who can give differing perspectives of you might work better.

I know that EPS and CPS used to religiously phone all ten of your references and spend about 30-40 minutes talking to them all about you. And sometimes they would ask for more. I think they have reduced the number that they talk to now.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:18 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chawky
Hi Folks;

What's the score regarding references when applying for EPS or CPS (when available). I've recently, tentatively approached a couple of former line managers to make them aware of the potential future need to supply a reference and I've been quoted police regulations that they can't supply a reference. I did nearly 24 years service in UK police and left last year, so have umpteen line managers that I could conceivably choose from.

How does that pan out with regard to applications? I gather you have to supply quite a number of references. The feedback I have been given is your force will only give you a list of service dates or your hr dept might summarise locations, postings and dates in certificate form.

Cheers

Chawk
sounds like you have approached the wrong people. i had two inspectors both give me written and verbal references when interviewed over the phone.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
Don't get too hung up on line managers being the only ones suitable for providing references.

Were any of those 'line managers' friends too ? What about other colleagues who have known you for 10 years for example? What about friends who have nothing to do with the police?

Are you talking about the character references. Does your paperwork specifically say it has to be supervisors only? A healthy sprinkling of personalities who can give differing perspectives of you might work better.
Thanks for the advice, I am not sure what/who they specifically ask you to obtain for references, but if allows you to choose, then I can be selective.

I haven't applied yet, but had a problem when applying locally in the Uk with references and just wanted to see how it works. I'm sure I can sort out references similar to the way you indicate.

I was talking to a mate (who's still going strong at 32 years service) the other day and as soon as I mentioned references he said line managers now hide behind regulations. Some issue recently were someone recommended someone to another force and they were incompetent and under investigation for criminal association.

I applied for a job recently with a police force (Lincs) and they would not allow me to get any references from serving officers or anyone associated with the force. I had a phone call to tell me to select non serving police personnel. Madness.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rae
sounds like you have approached the wrong people. i had two inspectors both give me written and verbal references when interviewed over the phone.
Indeed, sometimes its not that easy though, especially if you've had one line manager for years, but I think I'll do some more sounding out. Not being in the job now though might not help me so much. My most recent chain of line managers from 2002-2007 decided after rewarding me with a commendation (and submitted financial bonus) to civilianize my post 2 weeks later. /boggle

I didn't stick around too long after that.