Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Qualifications for Police Canada

Qualifications for Police Canada

Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice
Default Qualifications for Police Canada

Hi I have looked at police service within Ontario Canada, with requirments for "High School" diploma for level of school education.

I left school in the mid 80's did not take any exams, went in to the British Army, left and served 17 years with the MOD Police. I have gained 4 NVQ level 3 would this be ok?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Qualifications for Police Canada

Originally Posted by minxymel
Hi I have looked at police service within Ontario Canada, with requirments for "High School" diploma for level of school education.

I left school in the mid 80's did not take any exams, went in to the British Army, left and served 17 years with the MOD Police. I have gained 4 NVQ level 3 would this be ok?
No, it means A levels (2-3), NVQs won't count, are you a Canadian citizen or do you hold PR status because Ontario will not consider you unless you already hold either anyway?

also in Ontario they usually want to see a college education on top, as they get so many applicants they can pick and choose who they want.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:23 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a some o levels and cse's when I moved here and was only given the equivalent of grade 10! A levels are grade 12. However, there is a GED (general eduction diploma) that can be taken here that grants grade 12 equivalency. Much easier than sitting a levels - i took a self study course for 3 months and passed no trouble - i actually found the review was good for the police exam.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

NBA22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello guys!

Does anyone here know of a Canadian police force/agency that is willing to actually sponsor an overseas (EU citizen, French-English bilingual, masters degree in business studies) applicant with a PR visa in order to hire him? Toronto PD and OPP don't, but what about the other ones? (not RCMP)

I'd really appreciate anyone giving some info in this matter. Someone in this section previously said there are some LE agencies in the US who are capable of doing this, so I'm wondering whether this is done in Canada as well...

Cheers!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:19 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Minxymel:
The only way to be absolutely sure that you have the right level of qualifications is to apply for an educational equivalency certtificate. Here are some companies you may want to look at, taken from Police sites, so should be reputable:
http://www.icascanada.ca
http://www.wes.org/ca
http://learn.utoronto.ca

NBA22:
From all my years of whistfully searching through various Canadian Police sites, none have or are likely to offer sponsorship, regardless of qualifications. They emphasise time and again that you need to be a citizen or have PR prior to applying.
Your post seems to infer that you have PR, if so you can apply no problem.

Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NBA22
Hello guys!

Does anyone here know of a Canadian police force/agency that is willing to actually sponsor an overseas (EU citizen, French-English bilingual, masters degree in business studies) applicant with a PR visa in order to hire him? Toronto PD and OPP don't, but what about the other ones? (not RCMP)

I'd really appreciate anyone giving some info in this matter. Someone in this section previously said there are some LE agencies in the US who are capable of doing this, so I'm wondering whether this is done in Canada as well...

Cheers!
Don't know about USA but in Canada only Edmonton or Calgary Police have recently been sponsoring new applicants from overseas. This has virtually dried up now though and they are only inviting resumes to hold on file if they like what they see.

Tim
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Karenmart332 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am not sure but hubbie just received a letter from IQAS stating that the 5 O 'levels and 3 CSE's that he took ( not particularly good grades) is equivalent to having completed grade 12.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NBA22
Hello guys!

Cheers!
In short no. You do not mention if you have any police experience, in which case you WOULD have been eligible if currently serving in a UK service for Calgary/Edmonton, but those 2 forces as you will have gathered from the other forums posts have STOPPED indefinitely recruiting UK officers.

No other force in Canada will consider you without either citizenship or PR status and secondly, they get more than enough local applicants, so they don't need to look overseas.

Many Canadians who have degrees in police sciences, are bilingual and have experience in relevant fields cannopt get hired by police services, so that is the competition you are up against.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guyfawkes
In short no. You do not mention if you have any police experience, in which case you WOULD have been eligible if currently serving in a UK service for Calgary/Edmonton, but those 2 forces as you will have gathered from the other forums posts have STOPPED indefinitely recruiting UK officers.

No other force in Canada will consider you without either citizenship or PR status and secondly, they get more than enough local applicants, so they don't need to look overseas.

Many Canadians who have degrees in police sciences, are bilingual and have experience in relevant fields cannopt get hired by police services, so that is the competition you are up against.
i'm afraid your info is wrong.

Edmonton police was, i stress was, hiring people from the UK without any formal police background, this changed from police experience only last year.

Yes they have stopped recruiting for the time being, but this will still start again, just don't know when so in the mean time they are still accepting resumes to keep on file for the future.

I cannot comment on other forces, but certainly EPS and CPS do not get enough local applicants hence the overseas recruiting, and certainly within EPS even with only one class this year they may not get the 50 or so they require of the quality locally so will then defer to the overseas applicants. I can't see this changing, its just the amount of applicants admitted that will change.

i'm not sure where you get this sweeping generalization of many canadians who don't get hired have degrees etc, the two latest recruits in training with my shift, one ex mechanic for 8yrs no other quals, the other ex campus security for 2yrs nothing further than college diploma, neither speak french or any other language. This is the real competition, here anyway, another reason to look abroad.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Interesting point about the Canadian applicants.

Although the tests (at least to CPS and EPS) are much more demanding than those I remember doing for the UK, the calibre of recruits is much the same with the only big difference being that the Canadian recruits are much, much fitter. Lots of people here in Canada have degrees, diplomas and the like, but qualification inflation is at an advanced stage.

Intellectually, I've found officers in both countries to be the same, which is quite surprising given that UK police procedures and paperwork are far more complex and demanding than here in Canada. One might think that UK emphasis on investigation rather than active patrolling might breed a load of bespectacled bookworms, but the attitudes of officers in both countries are very similar.

A big difference here in Canada (or at least in EPS) is what people talk about at work. I remember colleagues in the UK talking about how they could write off crimes by following procedure or what rules applied to this or that aspect of their investigation, the chain of evidence, identification issues etc etc. Here the conversations are about how we can catch bad people doing bad stuff: where do stolen cars get dumped? Which convenience store is next to get robbed? Which roads give good access to the back of the scrapyard?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:27 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin
Interesting point about the Canadian applicants.

Although the tests (at least to CPS and EPS) are much more demanding than those I remember doing for the UK, the calibre of recruits is much the same with the only big difference being that the Canadian recruits are much, much fitter. Lots of people here in Canada have degrees, diplomas and the like, but qualification inflation is at an advanced stage.

Agree

Intellectually, I've found officers in both countries to be the same, which is quite surprising given that UK police procedures and paperwork are far more complex and demanding than here in Canada. One might think that UK emphasis on investigation rather than active patrolling might breed a load of bespectacled bookworms, but the attitudes of officers in both countries are very similar.

agree

A big difference here in Canada (or at least in EPS) is what people talk about at work. I remember colleagues in the UK talking about how they could write off crimes by following procedure or what rules applied to this or that aspect of their investigation, the chain of evidence, identification issues etc etc. Here the conversations are about how we can catch bad people doing bad stuff: where do stolen cars get dumped? Which convenience store is next to get robbed? Which roads give good access to the back of the scrapyard?
Disagree, there are as many people here who write off jobs as back home, though the mentality may be slightly more positive, i would say they are more inclined to sit around drinking vats of coffee more than uk cops.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
Disagree, there are as many people here who write off jobs as back home, though the mentality may be slightly more positive, i would say they are more inclined to sit around drinking vats of coffee more than uk cops.
I'm not really interested in getting into an argument with you about this. I stand by my argument and think you are wrong, as to international recruitment, this is what both Vancouver and TPS have tried before in early 2000s and then suddenly stopped it, leaving a lot of prospective UK applicants short changed as has just happened with EPS.

It's neither here nor there with me whether you agree with me or not.

Plenty of recent UK recruits I have met I wouldn't trust stacking shelves in Asda Wal-Mart. I also know plenty of Uk officers who shirk backing up colleagues in dangerous situations and get away with it due to weak supervision.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

i'm not sure where you get this sweeping generalization of many canadians who don't get hired have degrees etc, the two latest recruits in training with my shift, one ex mechanic for 8yrs no other quals, the other ex campus security for 2yrs nothing further than college diploma, neither speak french or any other language. This is the real competition, here anyway, another reason to look abroad.[/QUOTE]

Where do I get my info from? From living and working in Canada's biggest city in law enforcement, that's where.

What you call sweeping, I call factual. I was referring in my message to TPS and the other bigger services as these were the ones referred to in the originator's email and we already know EPS and CPS have frozen int recruiting.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:50 pm
rae
Settled.

i'm not sure where you get this sweeping generalization of many canadians who don't get hired have degrees etc, the two latest recruits in training with my shift, one ex mechanic for 8yrs no other quals, the other ex campus security for 2yrs nothing further than college diploma, neither speak french or any other language. This is the real competition, here anyway, another reason to look abroad.

What you call sweeping, I call factual. I was referring in my message to TPS and the other bigger services as these were the ones referred to in the originator's email and we already know EPS and CPS have frozen int recruiting.[/QUOTE]

i'm confused, i thought you were in the UK looking to come across?
and i'm afraid it is sweeping unless you have background knowledge of every single person who applies and is successful and unsuccessful.

Last edited by rae; Feb 24th 2010 at 4:03 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:54 pm
rae
Settled.

I'm not really interested in getting into an argument with you about this. I stand by my argument and think you are wrong, as to international recruitment, this is what both Vancouver and TPS have tried before in early 2000s and then suddenly stopped it, leaving a lot of prospective UK applicants short changed as has just happened with EPS.

It's neither here nor there with me whether you agree with me or not.

Plenty of recent UK recruits I have met I wouldn't trust stacking shelves in Asda Wal-Mart. I also know plenty of Uk officers who shirk backing up colleagues in dangerous situations and get away with it due to weak supervision.
you know people can disagree with a point without getting into an argument.
i don't think i stated that all UK cops were brilliant and Canadian ones were crap, there are good and bad in both forces and i could apply all those situations you quote above to canada as i could to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.